Leafs MVP

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
If Kadri were our MVP he wouldn't have been largely ineffective last night in a big game we needed to win. Reimer was the star in that game, he out played hall of famer Fartin Brodeur to get 2 critical points. Your MVP is the guy who steps up and plays his best when it's needed most. That guy for us is Reimer.

So because Kadri was the leafs star on thursday and not last night he isn't the MVP? He has been the most consistant player on the team. Reimer steals the show for one game and he is the MVP. Some people have the memory of a gerble. You think Kadri had no pressure? At the start of the year everyone was saying this is his make or break. He blew the doors down.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Kadri - has been the straw that stirs the drink
Reimer - relatively steady, has won games for us
Phaneuf - steady solid dman despite his haters
McClement - one of the best in the league for the role he plays

No one else deserves mention IMHO. Lupul has clearly been our MVP when he's played but he's missed far to much time for serious consideration.

I don't consider coachs when deciding the team MVP as only players are eligible.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
gotta be Kadri. it's not a team with one clear MVP (like Ovechkin's become for the Capitals) but he's the best player and he helps his teammates.

2-4 would be Phaneuf, Kessel, and Reimer in some order (that's my order.) i'd have Reimer 4th because Scrivens is competent and capable and would have probably been good enough to get us into 8th, but I don't fault anyone who puts him higher.
Lupul hasn't played enough to be considered.

jughead42*

So because Kadri was the leafs star on thursday and not last night he isn't the MVP? He has been the most consistant player on the team. Reimer steals the show for one game and he is the MVP. Some people have the memory of a gerble. You think Kadri had no pressure? At the start of the year everyone was saying this is his make or break. He blew the doors down.

Kadri isn't even our best forward, how is he more critical to our success than the only guy who's been even remotely effective between the pipes for us since Belfour? How is he more important that Phaneuf, who's anchored our blue line and chewed up the best players on opposing teams? MVP shouldn't be a popularity poll, which this obviously has become. Kadri has been great, but let's not get carried away. He's not as important as Reimer, he's not as important as Phaneuf, he's not as important as Lupul even in his limited playing time. If it was Kadri getting smushed by the Phlyers instead of Lupul then Grabovski and McClement would have stepped up and filled in just fine until he got back into the lineup. He's not irreplaceable the way you'd expect the MVP to be. Let's be honest, this is the cult of Kadri at work inflating his value to the team to ridiculous levels.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Kadri isn't even our best forward, how is he more critical to our success than the only guy who's been even remotely effective between the pipes for us since Belfour? How is he more important that Phaneuf, who's anchored our blue line and chewed up the best players on opposing teams? MVP shouldn't be a popularity poll, which this obviously has become. Kadri has been great, but let's not get carried away. He's not as important as Reimer, he's not as important as Phaneuf, he's not as important as Lupul even in his limited playing time. If it was Kadri getting smushed by the Phlyers instead of Lupul then Grabovski and McClement would have stepped up and filled in just fine until he got back into the lineup. He's not irreplaceable the way you'd expect the MVP to be. Let's be honest, this is the cult of Kadri at work inflating his value to the team to ridiculous levels.

The team played fine without Reimer. Phaneuf is valuable but we missed the playoffs the past three years with him. Grabo has been a black hole offensively but he is the guys that all of a sudden is going to step up? Lupul has been hurt 3/4 of the year. The difference this season has been Kadri.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Offensively Kadri has been the Leafs best forward and he has been making strides to become a very well rounded player.

If the Leafs didn't have Kadri this year I'm not sure if there's anyone who could have picked up the slack offensively. Lupul as good as he has been has been injured too much this season to make more of an impact than Kadri has.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
If Kadri were our MVP he wouldn't have been largely ineffective last night in a big game we needed to win. Reimer was the star in that game, he out played hall of famer Fartin Brodeur to get 2 critical points. Your MVP is the guy who steps up and plays his best when it's needed most. That guy for us is Reimer.

:laugh::laugh: Jughead finally returns. :handclap:

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005

McClement and Grabovski would have provided Kadri's offense.... :shakehead Sorry Juggy, I dont think even Archie would agree with you on that one.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Franson deserves some credit

In order I'd put it:

Kadri, Reimer (he's shut me up about goalie concerns), Franson, Phaneuf, McClement

HM: Lupul who can't make this list because of injuries only

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.

Stopped reading after that.

Kadri has been our best forward without question this year. he's been the most dangerous out there and has been pretty consistent all year. He's also the scoring leader for a reason. over a ppg. He's been awesome.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I vote for the black hole for MVP

most valuable passer without a doubt

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Phaneuf is MVP and its not even close.

He has been a one man defense this whole year. He has been the only one consistently matched up against top opponents and come out on top.

Take phaneuf out of the line up and we would be even worse position than last year.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Kadri and Reimer without a question. Both carried the team on their backs and into the playoffs.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's actually tough - and that's good. No single player is carrying us. The Leafs are winning as a team.

If I had to, though, it's obviously Reimer, Phaneuf or Kadri - tough to say in what order.

James Reimer is the real deal, though. His GP:SO ratio 11.75. The best ever, Marty, is 10.1. Let's look at some of the other top goaltenders in the NHL right now (lower is better):

• Nabokov: 11.6
  • Anderson: 14.7
  • Lundqvist: 11.6
  • Rask: 9.21
  • Schneider: 11.5
  • Fleury: 20
  • Rinne: 9.6
  • Vokoun: 13.7
  • Miller: 17.6
  • Backstrom: 13.2
  • Ward: 20.5

I think SO may be a unique state - yes, all goaltending statistics are really team stats, but I think a good SO ratio is really indicative of how good a goaltender is. There's more to it than this, but it's definitely demonstrative of quality.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Dion Phaneuf. I think he's having his best season in Toronto.

Playing a lot of minutes. Putting up goals and points. Playing physical. Reimer was hurt for a bit and they survived with Scrivens. If Kadri was hurt there might be enough depth to get by. If Phaneuf was hurt I would shudder.

You know, he wouldn't the popular choice but you're definitely on to something. He really has quietly had a great season. He fills his role very, very well. It's too bad he has the contract he does - he does make a bit too much for what he brings, but I'm definitely happy we have him.

There can be 3 MVP's this season, all in different positions (which I think says a lot about the success the team has gotten so far):

Forward: Kadri
Defence: Phaneuf
Goalie: Reimer

All three have played well, carrying the team when they need to. While it would be great to have a player of Sundin's skill set, leadership, and reliability, it doesn't hurt to have three guys to lean on in different situations.

Edit: After reading through the thread, it appears Phaneuf is getting a lot of love! Nice to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad