Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
1. James Reimer
2. Randy Carlyle
3. Nazem Kadri
4. Jay McClement
5-T. Brian Burke/Dave Nonis

HM: Joffrey Lupul (only off the list due to lack of GP), Phil Kessel (he's looked good this year -- all year)

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
1. Phaneuf
2. Reimer
3. Kadri
4. Kessel
5. McClement

I'd hate to see where this team would be without the minutes that Phaneuf puts up.

Lupul hasn't played nearly enough games to be factored into this discussion. Kessel has been putting up points all season and is the only reason his line faces the best defensive players of the opposing team. Not sure why he has been ignored by most fans.

Completely agree with this list.

Dion has been a rock in the back end and has been crucial to help us shutdown star players whenever we go against them. Reimer has been the 3rd Defensemen there for us and Kadri has been a great surprise, more so than many were expecting for sure.

Kessel might not be producing as the best offensive guy but he's rounded out his game, and helps spread out offense. Also who can say anything bad about Jay? Guys has done everything we've asked from him.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I have a feeling Reimer wouldn't be #1 on a lot of these lists if he had a bad game last night. Nonis and Carlyle were looking to upgrade the guy just a few days ago. He has been good latley and great yesterday but let's not get carried away. He has looked shaky for much of the season.

Last edited:

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Hard to say

I would say Reimer then Kadri and McClement

Any of these three and all of these three. Phaneuf is should also be mentioned with these three...he may get trashed but without his contributions this team would most likely be outside the playoff bubble. Lupul, if healthy, would also have to be mentioned.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Kessel, Reimer and Phaneuf.

Kessel is taking on the best d-men and shutdown players on every team. It allows the rest of the Leafs to play against easier opponents and in return, produce more. That is great! He's also putting up great numbers in the process, despite being unlucky this season.

Reimer is just a stud. All he does is win, and the team looks good in front of him when he's in net.

Phaneuf, eats all those minutes against the best in the world. Lets the rest of the D-core play less pressured situation and that results in better play.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Phaneuf
Kadri
Kessel
Reimer

Those are the biggest cornerstones to the Leafs success so far by far, if I had to vote one it would probably be Phaneuf, he has been unreal this year.

Also gotta love the Kessel hate now that we finally have a player with a few more points than him. He's still having a great year.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
It has to be Phaneuf for me. I look at MVP as who if removed from the lineup, would hurt us the most.

Remove Kadri we still have guys who can score.
Lupul has been removed most of the year and we've done just fine.
Besides his last few games, Riemer hasn't been much better than Scrivens.

Remove Dion and our defence falls apart.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
I have a feeling Reimer wouldn't be #1 on a lot of these lists if he had a bad game last night. Nonis and Carlyle were looking to upgrade the guy just a few days ago. He has been good latley and great yesterday but let's not get carried away. He has looked shaky for much of the season.
I never saw any indication that they were trying to upgrade Reimer. Everytime Nonis talked about the situation he said repeatedly that he believes Reimer is a #1 and that if a veteran to back him up was available he would look into it.

What the media says =/= what the team is trying to do.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
Completely agree with this list.

Dion has been a rock in the back end and has been crucial to help us shutdown star players whenever we go against them. Reimer has been the 3rd Defensemen there for us and Kadri has been a great surprise, more so than many were expecting for sure.

Kessel might not be producing as the best offensive guy but he's rounded out his game, and helps spread out offense. Also who can say anything bad about Jay? Guys has done everything we've asked from him.
Yup, those 5 guys have been the cornerstone of the teams success this season.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Jay McClement has been huge for the Leafs this year. Hard to give just one person the MVP so far as there's a number of players who are stepping up this year.

1.Phaneuf
2.Jay McClement
3.Kadri
4.Reimer
5.Kessel

A huge unsung hero though has to be Kulemin, looking at his defensive numbers he's been a beast on that side of the ice. He's also coming around offensively after being paired with Kadri.

jughead42*

You might be right, but Nonis and Carlyle weren't looking to upgrade him. They made it very clear they were open to acquiring a veteran goaltender who could help share his experience and show them how a pro goalie does it. The fact they turned down Luongo for Scrivens and picks pretty much shows you upgrading was not a priority. They were after Kipprusoff who has been awful at times, he's not an upgrade but he is vastly experienced in the NHL. I also disagree that Reimer has been shaky for much of the season. He's been pretty steady and is the biggest reason for our success this year. No doubt about it, he's our MVP. We've had horrible goaltending for a while, it was a big problem and now it isn't. That's huge.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I never saw any indication that they were trying to upgrade Reimer. Everytime Nonis talked about the situation he said repeatedly that he believes Reimer is a #1 and that if a veteran to back him up was available he would look into it.

What the media says =/= what the team is trying to do.

There was nothing wrong with trying to bring in a vet at the deadline. It wasnt from no confidence in Reimer but in reality his backup. IMO we needed a
better backup for insurance purposes in case reimer gets injured.

Reimer is just fine as long as he is healthy

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
1. Phaneuf
2. Reimer
3. Kadri
4. Kessel
5. McClement

I'd hate to see where this team would be without the minutes that Phaneuf puts up.

Lupul hasn't played nearly enough games to be factored into this discussion. Kessel has been putting up points all season and is the only reason his line faces the best defensive players of the opposing team. Not sure why he has been ignored by most fans.

Great list, but I swap Nazem Kadri with James Reimer.

Neas Olc

Registered Abuser
Mar 22, 2011
Toronto
Reimer, with Kadri a close second.

Reimer's been under a lot of pressure and has delivered. That's the kind of mentality you want in the playoffs, especially in a hockey-mad city.

jughead42*

If Kadri were our MVP he wouldn't have been largely ineffective last night in a big game we needed to win. Reimer was the star in that game, he out played hall of famer Fartin Brodeur to get 2 critical points. Your MVP is the guy who steps up and plays his best when it's needed most. That guy for us is Reimer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad