Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Some goaltenders you expect to make the save.

Andersen right now isn't in that group.

Hrudey pointed out the goals and everyone seems to beat him one-on-one right now. Just like in shootouts, Jets player went back to the bench and said he's playing deep so they just shot it by him.

I'm not sure Reimer was ever worse than Andersen is in this streak.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Some goaltenders you expect to make the save.

Andersen right now isn't in that group.

Hrudey pointed out the goals and everyone seems to beat him one-on-one right now. Just like in shootouts, Jets player went back to the bench and said he's playing deep so they just shot it by him.

I'm not sure Reimer was ever worse than Andersen is in this streak.
Well said. He's looking VESA like

Reactions: ToMaLe

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Freddy plays great for stretchs where he's basically playing right at his ceiling and that ceiling is very high.

In terms of form, he gets to 10 a few times a season and sometimes for long stretchs.

The problem is, when he's not playing his best, he drops all the way down to like a 2-3 level and not even giving your team a chance many games.

We need him to give us more 5-6-7 type form performances and balance out the highs and lows.

I've always been a fan and supported him, but its starting to look like he's got some type of issue between the ears.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Freddy plays great for stretchs where he's basically playing right at his ceiling and that ceiling is very high.

In terms of form, he gets to 10 a few times a season and sometimes for long stretchs.

The problem is, when he's not playing his best, he drops all the way down to like a 2-3 level and not even giving your team a chance many games.

We need him to give us more 5-6-7 type form performances and balance out that highs and lows.

I've always been a fan and supported him, but its starting to look like he's got some type of issue between the ears.

He frustrates the **** out of me

Players aren't always going to be at their best but you still need to do enough to pull yourself out of a funk if your in one and not torpedo the team when your struggling, even if your just "surviving" as best you can

He just can't do that, he's so inconsistent I don't think he's somebody a team could ever rely on over a long extended high pressure playoff run

I wouldn't resign him, he is what he is at this point and I've got doubts that's good enough

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
What are you even talking about.. Did you watch the game?

The first 3 goals.. First one was from the ****ing red line down low. 2nd they had the slot clogged and it was a routine shot from the outside that beat him. We were down 3-0 on like .5 expected goals against.

I am all for defending Freddy when the defense let's him down, but this one is on Fred. And he needs to get his god complex the team has allowed to build out of his head and have him accept that he has been a problem.
Of course I watched the ****** game, I know what I saw.

"Did I watch the game?" LOL thats funny coming from you.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Keefe says this is a very immature team, top off that with a very immature GM spells disaster. :help:

I have been a Leafs fan since the mid to late ‘70s. The furthest we’ve gotten was the semi-finals in the early ‘90s, only to get beaten by Gretzky and the Kings (if only Gretzky had been called for that high stick on Gilmour)!
This team is not built for the playoffs, and that is on Dubas and Shanahan. If we miss the playoffs, or make it only to get beaten out in the first round yet again, I hope Dubas is given the boot (undecided about Shanahan).
We need some toughness in this lineup!
Would a combination of Nylander, Johnnson, and a prospect (Bracco or Brooks), get us a solid #2 stay at home defenceman, and a winger with some toughness and skill (a solid 3rd liner)?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I have been a Leafs fan since the mid to late ‘70s. The furthest we’ve gotten was the semi-finals in the early ‘90s, only to get beaten by Gretzky and the Kings (if only Gretzky had been called for that high stick on Gilmour)!
This team is not built for the playoffs, and that is on Dubas and Shanahan. If we miss the playoffs, or make it only to get beaten out in the first round yet again, I hope Dubas is given the boot (undecided about Shanahan).
We need some toughness in this lineup!
Would a combination of Nylander, Johnnson, and a prospect (Bracco or Brooks), get us a solid #2 stay at home defenceman, and a winger with some toughness and skill (a solid 3rd liner)?

He will be given another year to see what he can do with an offseason with a coach more open to discussion than Ego babs.

Rightfully so... We need D and some players thatd make the draft on brusier teams

Reactions: shanwhatplan

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Ok, took awhile to calm down.....didn’t expect the debacle against Chicago-not after the skillful domination of a superior Calgary Flame opponent (Rittich stole the game but didn’t think the Flames could hold a candle to our better talent and depth).

I realize that:

1-Call it “immature” as Keefe did but yes, the Leafs were in holiday mode, not the Hawks, desperate to keep in the playoff hunt and another game tonight. ( I’ve been useless at work the day before a lengthy vacation)

2- The Hawks “pounced”, we were not ready. Didn’t help that their was the fluke first goal in like 30 seconds and then the similarly wrap around somewhat of a fluke.

3- Yes, Anderson cost us the game. Would be nice to see him “own it” instead of his words “We all have to be better, myself included”. However, see point #5, maybe he’s plain worn out from the pressure of being the only hope we have a lot of the time.

4-It struck me how the Hawks fell back into a “Fort Knox” wall around their net; no way we were going to get many goals. Other teams are doing the same to us now (see 1 goal scored vs Calgary). Is the word out now on how to stop our offence? Is this what we will see now? How can we adjust?

5-Speaking of a wall around the Hawks net, why can’t we do the same? And yet, is it just me or does it seem like opponent forwards are constantly coming like waves at us, with open ice in our zone, crashing into our frail defencemen? Another member may have hit the nail with his answer “the reason they come at us with room, flying out of the neutral zone, is because no one hits, it’s all stick checks, no physicality along the boards”.

6-The Dubas template that emphasizes speed, skill with attendant smaller players might be in bad need of some physicality, something I have denied, (please Dubas, use the break to get us a Dillon, a Josh Anderson, a decent backup)

7- Is this “immaturity” the reason we tried for Justin Williams? (The epitome of grit, veteran leadership).

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He frustrates the **** out of me

Players aren't always going to be at their best but you still need to do enough to pull yourself out of a funk if your in one and not torpedo the team when your struggling, even if your just "surviving" as best you can

He just can't do that, he's so inconsistent I don't think he's somebody a team could ever rely on over a long extended high pressure playoff run

I wouldn't resign him, he is what he is at this point and I've got doubts that's good enough
I'm looking to trade him in the summer and if no takers I'm not re-signing him after next year.

I've seen enough.

Reactions: ToMaLe and Kiwi

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm looking to trade him in the summer and if no takers I'm not re-signing him after next year.

I've seen enough.

He still has lots of time to get it together for the playoffs. If not, we could pull the old "Sign Cujo, trade Potvin" trick. Risky but we could sign Lehner, and trade Andersen.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
This is so telling and obvious. Anybody blaming anyone beside the guys between the pipes after examining these numbers should be put on ignore

Anderson has been pretty bad, but if you think our teams defensive play and the chances that have included many odd man rushes and breakaways isn't part of the problem then maybe you look too much into these stats. We all know our team can play offence but it's getting old now at how bad we are on the defensive side and how often we have defensive lapses because we're only thinking offence. I'm sure Andersen is frustrated as well.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Anderson has been pretty bad, but if you think our teams defensive play and the chances that have included many odd man rushes and breakaways isn't part of the problem then maybe you look too much into these stats. We all know our team can play offence but it's getting old now at how bad we are on the defensive side and how often we have defensive lapses because we're only thinking offence. I'm sure Andersen is frustrated as well.
I’m not sure if you saw the stats I was quoting, but they include stuff like high danger scoring chances and expected GA among others which are pretty much directly tied to how good the team plays defensively. They’ve been middle of the road, meanwhile goalie specific stats have been bottom 5

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I’m not sure if you saw the stats I was quoting, but they include stuff like high danger scoring chances and expected GA among others which are pretty much directly tied to how good the team plays defensively. They’ve been middle of the road, meanwhile goalie specific stats have been bottom 5

Andersen has been bad like I said and I'll even say I think our D zone coverage 5on5 has gotten a lot better, but the amount of odd man rushes and breakaways happening now is just getting out of hand.

Reactions: definedMF

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Andersen has been bad like I said and I'll even say I think our D zone coverage 5on5 has gotten a lot better, but the amount of odd man rushes and breakaways happening now is just getting out of hand.
That’s a byproduct of the system Keefe employs by having the D pinch and being active in the o zone. I don’t see a changing of players changing that too much, so best to have guys that best fit our system vs trying to fit round pegs into square holes

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
That’s a byproduct of the system Keefe employs by having the D pinch and being active in the o zone. I don’t see a changing of players changing that too much, so best to have guys that best fit our system vs trying to fit round pegs into square holes
Since the NYI game, teams send in 2 Fd to attack the puck holder in the D zone. Althought all leafs players were speed and skillful, this tactic gave a lot of trouble to most of leafs' puck holder. Keefe needs to find a happy medium between stretch pass and his pass-out / carry out system

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad