Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
My takeaway from the game:

We can lament the results and assign blame all day, but the thing I felt like bringing up after the game is our start. Now, any time you talk about performance you really should talk about the other side of it, so I'll start with Chicago. The Hawks weren't good to start the game. They were diligent and dutiful, but they weren't making great plays up and down the ice. With that said, they were miles better than us.

I've never been the kind of Leafs fan who just watch our games. I like to watch two games per day, every day of the week if I can. So it's from that position that I say that I don't think I've seen a team look that lackadaisical all season. Nobody seemed to take a step more than necessary if they didn't have the puck. When they did have the puck, they preferred handing it over to someone else rather than actually fight or work their way somewhere. And when they did hand it over, they did even that lackadaisical, as if they couldn't be bothered to put it hard and distinct on the tape of a teammate. There was one situation where Holl moved the puck up, got himself some room and space.... and it just ran out for him, because every single teammate was gliding after him, looking at him like they wondered what he would do next. He had nothing to do, nowhere to go, on what should have been a good rush opportunity.

The team sometimes remind me of track & field athletes, how they slowly get moving a bit, going through the motions, to loosen themselves up for when the real stuff begins. Except in this case, someone will knock you to the ground and steal your spot. And potentially your clothes too, leaving you very embarrassed in the spotlight.

This is a problem. It would still have been a problem if Andersen performed and we weathered it. It was a huge issue under Babcock, but disappeared for a long time under Keefe. The team needs to figure out what that actually comes from, and not just hide behind platitudes like "we need to start on time" or "we need to look each other in the eyes and show some pride."

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't blame the players. They never had a chance of winning that game with that level of goaltending.

I really hope Freddy comes back reinvigorated after the break or we're in trouble.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I see all the usual faces that for some reason stopped wanting to discuss the Leafs when we were good are back now again.
That would be me. Like I commented before, SHOW ME first - finish on top of a division or something of significance like that, or win a couple of playoff rounds, so I know the evolution and growth of the team is legit. Then I'll know it's not Lucy pulling away the football just as Charlie Brown is about to kick it - like for most of the last 50 years (not even a damn appearance in the finals).

"When we were good". I guess you mean for the odd stretch every few weeks. That says it all.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Exactly this.

Save the "duh did you watch the game?" ********* people.

Yes I watched the game, I regret it though, as a bettor I did cover the Over 6.5 so I did make some money out of it. Yes Andersen had a **** game and shouldnt have been in their after the 6th goal.

Lets also try pointing fingers after the 5 pylons in front of him and the lack of support from them.

Lost count how many times Matthews had a chance to shoot but he did his stupid little fancy drag of the puck and it was taken away or off a skate.

You're down 6-2 SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK!!!!!

Nylander was left out in front and shot it wide of the net.

My God people, get off Andersen's *** and look at the bigger picture.
The big picture of Toronto controlling play and getting the majority of chances for the first ~25 minutes but being down 4-1 on four routine saves?

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s never just one thing, or at least there are compelling subplots behind the big story. Andersen is way off his game, mentally isn’t sharp and obviously leaky, there’s your headline.

Also, Marincin is not and never has been an NHL defenceman, he isn’t depth he’s death. He clears waivers every year because the rest of the league knows it, why we can’t just move on escapes me. Enough of this tire fire, he’s a liability, never be fooled by a game or two, he will cost you in the end. Marincin Barrie, I cant even watch together in our end.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That would be me. Like I commented before, SHOW ME first - finish on top of a division or something of significance like that, or win a couple of playoff rounds, so I know the evolution and growth of the team is legit. Then I'll know it's not Lucy pulling away the football just as Charlie Brown is about to kick it - like for most of the last 50 years (not even a damn appearance in the finals).
Evolution and growth isn't always 100% linear, and the round you lose in in the playoffs isn't always representative of the level of your team. There have been major steps by many of the core players this year, for a team that has already been really good, and injuries have taken a huge bite out of this team.

You never have anything nice to say about the Leafs, going back a long time. Always negative comments. You disappear when they're doing well. It's clear you're not really a Leaf fan, and you're just here to stir things up.

What has happened over the last 50 years is irrelevant. It doesn't matter at all. This is a completely different team with completely different management.

We are in the toughest division, by far. The year we "win a couple playoff rounds" is the year we win the cup.

Reactions: hoglund

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Management's plan of playing him 75 games is looking dubious now.
Management never planned to play Andersen 75 games; not even close.

Stop giving excuses to Andersen. He has played 39 games. He should not be worn out at all, and if he was, he wouldn't be going to the All Star game. In fact, he looked way better when he wasn't getting the rest that he has been lately. He is a workhorse style goalie.

Andersen is a good goalie that you can win with, because his stretches of being "hot" are really good. But when Andersen is bad, he is BAD. Right now, he is BAD, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the defense in front or his usage.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Exactly this.

Save the "duh did you watch the game?" ********* people.

Yes I watched the game, I regret it though, as a bettor I did cover the Over 6.5 so I did make some money out of it. Yes Andersen had a **** game and shouldnt have been in their after the 6th goal.

Lets also try pointing fingers after the 5 pylons in front of him and the lack of support from them.

Lost count how many times Matthews had a chance to shoot but he did his stupid little fancy drag of the puck and it was taken away or off a skate.

You're down 6-2 SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK!!!!!

Nylander was left out in front and shot it wide of the net.

My God people, get off Andersen's *** and look at the bigger picture.

What are you even talking about.. Did you watch the game?

The first 3 goals.. First one was from the f***ing red line down low. 2nd they had the slot clogged and it was a routine shot from the outside that beat him. We were down 3-0 on like .5 expected goals against.

I am all for defending Freddy when the defense let's him down, but this one is on Fred. And he needs to get his god complex the team has allowed to build out of his head and have him accept that he has been a problem.

Reactions: LeafsRus

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

"When we were good". I guess you mean for the odd stretch every few weeks. That says it all.
Best post this year

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
a really bad game from Fred
another brutal i mean BRUTAL game from Marincin
im ready to rest this experiment with him as we are not gettin anywhere
Sandin looks really good
Liljegren is something too. im glad we have these two :)

k

He played sheltered minutes (10 minutes) ... will be interesting to see how he plays with bigger minutes facing top 3 lines.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
The Leafs were flat and the goaltending was not NHL caliber last night. Ultimately a goalie can have a few stinkers a year and it doesn’t really matter. Freddie has not looked great recently and he has not looked great in the playoffs. I’m fearful for this teams chances without a different stopper in place.

That said, virtually no team wins without superb goaltending. It takes a really high standard to survive the way every team can shoot it.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Everyone, or almost everyone....pleeeez! Freddie was bad, yes, Freddie lets in soft goals in tight situations, yes, but just take a look at Martin Marincin on the ice, and Adam Brooks, and multiple guys who are playing in the wrong league. It was embarrassing because it is the Marlies playing for the Leafs. I do NOT understand who coach after coach can play Marincin. It is amazing.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
They haven't played very good for a bit now, I just think last night it all went wrong. Freddy didn't play well but maybe not enough confidence in the backup to put him in. First few goals were soft and he should have been pulled.

Face it. The makeup of this team is wrong. Babcock was calling for my size and grit two years ago, we got smaller and less grittier. There are too many forwards that play the same game on this team. I like Engivail but if he stays we don't need Jonsson. They need to decide what they have in Bracco and need to decide if they keep Kapannen do you keep Nylander as well. The team needs to look at the makeup of this squad and make decisions. Loosing Muzzin this off season sets us back and we don't need Barrie.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
What has happened over the last 50 years is irrelevant. It doesn't matter at all. This is a completely different team with completely different management.
It isn't irrelevant to me. I've suffered through those 50 years. Seriously, so much emotional and monetary investment during all that time. The only bit of positive payback for this fan's blind faith was two Gilmour/Clark years.

And what you call negative comments, to me it's simply hard realism. "New players, new management": I've sat through, what, 20 of those changes over the last half century.

Now it's time for the organization to SHOW ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad