Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who was leftwing on forth line. daily faceoff says its Liljegren.
They dressed 11 forwards and 7 d.

Biggest losers in all of that were the poor saps in attendance.
Surprised they weren't boo'd off the ice.

Reactions: Al14

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
3 goals in 6 shots is unacceptable.

All 3 of those goals I think you could have a strong case to blame on the goalie.

Teams tend to play awful when they know their goalie isn't going to make a save.

I have defended Andersen before, and have praised him before, but he has been just awful lately.

I wonder why he wasn't pulled after the 3rd goal.

Was Keefe just trying to keep some (if any left) confidence in the goalie ?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Freddy is OFF. He is in one of his bad periods no doubt. But when you lose your 2 best defensemen you are in huge trouble in any league but the NHL especially. Losing Muzzy is terrible as he is our only true veteran defender. With Muzzy and Holl we can at least fight back to keep attackers from taking our net. and with Rielly out too there is no 1st line defense who can get pucks on the forecheck. The more I see Barrie the more I realize he just can't do it. He is a 5/6 defense at best who can manage a PP. So I think if you honestly look at the situation with our defense you can see we right now have the WORST defense in the entire league. Marty is an AHLer. Ceci is at best a 6. Barrie is a 5/6. Holl is a 4/5. Dermy is a kid still going thru learning phases every night so hard to know exactly what he will be yet but right now he is a 6. Sandin and Lily are totally wet behind the ears. So to expect more from this team you have to be smokin the ganja man.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Freddy is OFF. He is in one of his bad periods no doubt. But when you lose your 2 best defensemen you are in huge trouble in any league but the NHL especially. Losing Muzzy is terrible as he is our only true veteran defender. With Muzzy and Holl we can at least fight back to keep attackers from taking our net. and with Rielly out too there is no 1st line defense who can get pucks on the forecheck. The more I see Barrie the more I realize he just can't do it. He is a 5/6 defense at best who can manage a PP. So I think if you honestly look at the situation with our defense you can see we right now have the WORST defense in the entire league. Marty is an AHLer. Ceci is at best a 6. Barrie is a 5/6. Holl is a 4/5. Dermy is a kid still going thru learning phases every night so hard to know exactly what he will be yet but right now he is a 6. Sandin and Lily are totally wet behind the ears. So to expect more from this team you have to be smokin the ganja man.

Yup Dubas and Shanny are both legally high. They might not be the worst D in the league but they can't cut it against hungrier teams. Time will tell if Dubas comes down to earth and realises it too.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Even with Rielly and Muzzin, if the goalie can't make simple saves, or even know where the puck is they aren't winning.

Seems every couple games he flat out gives out freebies, where the other team doesn't have to do anything except put the puck on net.

He's been completely mentally checked out.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines

All 3 of those goals I think you could have a strong case to blame on the goalie.

Teams tend to play awful when they know their goalie isn't going to make a save.

I have defended Andersen before, and have praised him before, but he has been just awful lately.

Keefe pulled him after 3 goals last week and Freddy was pissed. I'm thinking Keefe wanted to see if Freddy can work himself out of his funk this time.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yup Dubas and Shanny are both legally high. They might not be the worst D in the league but they can't cut it against hungrier teams. Time will tell if Dubas comes down to earth and realises it too.
Even with Muzzy and Rielly back in lineup we are bottom 10. I can't see a defense group as it stands now with injuries worse than us. We have ZERO vet defenders. Now Freddy needs to be better but even if he makes 3 more saves Saturday night we are still losing that game. No one can win in NHL with that defense as it stands right now. No one.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Even with Rielly and Muzzin, if the goalie can't make simple saves, or even know where the puck is they aren't winning.

Seems every couple games he flat out gives out freebies, where the other team doesn't have to do anything except put the puck on net.

He's been completely mentally checked out.
Even if he made the 3 saves he normally makes you lose that game. When our forwards don't register 5 goals we are in big trouble.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He still has lots of time to get it together for the playoffs. If not, we could pull the old "Sign Cujo, trade Potvin" trick. Risky but we could sign Lehner, and trade Andersen.
I always worry about signing goalies from FA, our system is so different than most others.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Keefe was just avoiding another Andersen hissy fit from being pulled. Also, he was allowing Andersen to embarrass himself to prove a point to him.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
The past 4 games may be Freddys worst stretch as a Leaf.
Past 4? This is his worst season as a Leaf and worst season of his career.

He’s down to a .909sv% and dropping fast. I would start Hutchinson in consecutive games to send a message.

Reactions: Duffman955

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
This team came out absolutely FLAT from the get go they all looked 70 yrs old, Anderson's play also crapped the bed. This teams defense is also terrible as well. Zone coverage is brutal, can't stop a cycle if our life depended on it because we have no size or physical defense to lay the hit or knock an opponent down to take the puck, NO excuse for these injuries because Reilly is garbage this year and Muzz is as slow as molasses and always a step behind, we lost many games with these two in the line up this season. Then you have a forward group that has skill but just REFUSES to be physical in any way, they just do not hit or take the body to keep other teams honest other than Hyman sometimes. This team is a complete blessing to play against because you know you would never get hurt or hit and can pretty much play with ease and no fear. This is hockey for *&^% sakes not public skating, hitting is part of throwing your opponent off their game ala other teams game plan when they play us is be physical and fore check the crap out of us and watch our fancy speed skill game dissolve. Now with all the big contracts and cap crunch we are unable to add physical size on D or on wing or better goaltending and I don't give a rats arse who wants to argue this because this team will go nowhere being cream puffs in the top league in the World. This is by far the WORST team I have ever seen not taking the body or finishing any checks game after game.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Dubas will need another offseason to completely fix the D. Four out of the six are already signed: Rielly, Holl, Sandin, Liljegren.
Sign Muzzin to a 4-5yr deal and spend the rest of the cap and assets (Dermott) on another top four RD.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

He’s down to a .909sv% and dropping fast. I would start Hutchinson in consecutive games to send a message.
Nothing to worry about. Andersen always has a couple of 5-10 game dips per year. No different than any other player.
The coaching staff should recognize this and shift to a more locked down defensive effort like the Islander game during this period.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dubas will need another offseason to completely fix the D. Four out of the six are already signed: Rielly, Holl, Sandin, Liljegren.
Sign Muzzin to a 4-5yr deal and spend the rest of the cap and assets (Dermott) on another top four RD.
I can't see both Sandin and Lily on team at same time. 1 yes 2 no way. and Dermy is going through learning curve. You can't throw out guys like that you have to grow with them on the 3rd pair.
Rielly XXX
Muzzy Holl
Dermy Lily
XXX

for this seasons playoff run
Rielly Hamonic
Muzzy Holl
Dillon Barrie
Sandin Dermy

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I can't see both Sandin and Lily on team at same time. 1 yes 2 no way. and Dermy is going through learning curve. You can't throw out guys like that you have to grow with them on the 3rd pair.
Rielly XXX
Muzzy Holl
Dermy Lily
XXX

for this seasons playoff run
Rielly Hamonic
Muzzy Holl
Dillon Barrie
Sandin Dermy

Rielly RHD
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Lily

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I would assume the fit needs to be there. Problem is it has been a long time since a true #1 starter was developed in-house (Potvin??). That Rask trade set up the Bruins for a decade.
True, drafting and developing is still the best way in terms of results & to get bang for the buck. Trades are a slippery slope.

Once

Jul 16, 2010

I agree, but lately he has been borderline backup material. He has had good stretches this season but this has been a brutal month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->