Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What is the arbitrary definition of a defensive team?

They said statistical, but I didn’t hear exactly what they said. Is it it top 5, 10? Don’t know.

It piqued my interest because another only because another poster mentioned this a week or two ago and at first glance it made some sense.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Thanks. Glad you have a profession like that. I work and find low life’s that, yell, scream whatever and other crap. I suck it up and do my job. These are professional athletes it’s part of the job. Softies like you (and there is nothing with that) need to understand this. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns out there.

It's comical that you think it's makes someone soft because they'd refuse to accept to work in a place full of "low lifes" and abuse, as you say. I'd say it's more soft to accept this as a reality of your career and/or life instead of taking charge and not subjecting yourself to such negative externalities on a daily basis.

Life's short, don't settle.

And please, these guys love that aspect of professional sports. I've played sports for years and chirping is half the fun.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not concerned about last night's game (as crappy as it was) but am concerned about repeating patterns of failing to start on time, losing more puck battles than the opponent, hemmed in own zone etc

All a concern, all correctable.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
They said statistical, but I didn’t hear exactly what they said. Is it it top 5, 10? Don’t know.

It piqued my interest because another only because another poster mentioned this a week or two ago and at first glance it made some sense.
Yeah but that shouldn't include Tampa Bay. The only thing really strong about their defense has been goaltending and PK. That doesn't seem like something that should stifle us normally. I can see teams that do a great job taking away time and space to be something that we might struggle against though.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'm not at all upset with this result and although it looks bad just consider, the Lightning is the best team in the league and have lost only 13 games all year, one of which was to us.
Monday's loss was expected......
1/ We were short 2 of our key defencemen Gardiner and Dermott.
2/ We had just returned from a difficult western road trip.
3/ Then we had two players and some of the team fighting the Flu bug, Kapanen and Hyman were out, even though Hyman played some of the game and I suspect others too played, not up to snuff, either fighting the flu or with minor ailments.
So to even play as well as we did, the outcome was expected.
Then there was this...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Against the best teams in the league the Leafs are

NASH 0-1
WAS 2-1
WIN 2-0
CAL 1-1
VGK 2-0
BOS 1-3
SJS 2-0
TBL 1-2
NYI 0-2
PITT 2-1
CAR 1-1

So thats 14-12 total

Reactions: Nithoniniel

RLF

May 5, 2014
All a concern, all correctable.

Except the corrections would require the desire to get there first and battle...or in other words, play more physical. Do our players have that in them? I haven't seen it very often or sustained for 60 mins yet.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah but that shouldn't include Tampa Bay. The only thing really strong about their defense has been goaltending and PK. That doesn't seem like something that should stifle us normally. I can see teams that do a great job taking away time and space to be something that we might struggle against though.

If they are in the top 10 in overall D then absolutely they need to be included.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
If Rielly used a slur he should get a one game suspension. However, it is a funny thing that it's only a problem when you're caught. Oh well, there's no need for homophobic or racial slurs in the game. Move along

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Except the corrections would require the desire to get there first and battle...or in other words, play more physical. Do our players have that in them? I haven't seen it very often or sustained for 60 mins yet.

True....and I don’t know if they have it in them at all.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well what did they say?

Also, stats can be manipulated to push any narrative you want.
They said the record against the top overall Defensive teams is 4-13 -x ( I didn’t catch the OT loses). I assume Tampa is in the mix as one of the top teams in allowing goals against.

RLF

May 5, 2014
True....and I don’t know if they have it in them at all.

And why we struggle against teams that play a more physical game...ie; forecheck hard, battle hard, take away time and space with good body position, finish their checks. We don't do any of those things well and have trouble creating offence against teams that do.

Reactions: Trapper

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I have to admit that I did not watch this game to the end, as soon as Sparks came in, I turned to the Raptors game, unfortunately that wasn't much better. Let's hope that the Leafs show up against Chicago on Wednesday.
Too bad. Sparks played well, and you missed Matthews' goal, which was a pretty one.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People forget the first two games where we were right there with them.

The teams not healthy.

They just came back from a long west coast road trip.

It was just a bad opponent to have on the Monday back lol.

Tampa is no doubt a better team, but the Leafs are much better than what they showed yesterday.

Reactions: hoglund

RLF

May 5, 2014
If you listened to Babs post-game it was the players fault for taking too long of a shift and then leaving Reilly by himself.

It was the players fault. Deciding to change is on the players. You have to read the play first before heading to the bench.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not their defencemen per se, but their overall defensive play. Only three teams have given up fewer goals (Isles have given up the fewest, and their defence and goalies aren't great, but their system is).

Reactions: Nithoniniel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad