Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It seems like Rielly, Sparks and the rest of the players on the ice thought there would be a penalty called against the Lightning. So perhaps they figured they could get away with a line change for fresh legs knowing that if a Tampa player touched the puck the play would have stopped. That's how it looked to me in real time.
In that case, the Refs arm would be up and they would have wanted to give Tampa the puck to start the 5-3.

Reactions: RLF

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It seems like Rielly, Sparks and the rest of the players on the ice thought there would be a penalty called against the Lightning. So perhaps they figured they could get away with a line change for fresh legs knowing that if a Tampa player touched the puck the play would have stopped. That's how it looked to me in real time.

A lot of times the refs puts his arm in the air indicating a delayed penalty

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Starting to wonder if Nylander will ever hit his stride this year. He has alternated between looking good and not producing and looking awful and not producing for the last bit.
That's how he looked last year.

For me, the end of 2016-17, then playoffs, the World Cup was peak Nylander. He was absolutely incredible for a good stretch, I haven't seen that since....at least not with any consistent frequency. He plays like a fringe core player now, rarely sets the pace, hangs out on the perimeter and drifts in and out of game relevance. When he's on, like pre all star break and a few afterwards he's a treat, he needs to find that in himself more often.

RLF

May 5, 2014
True. You’re right, if you look at the TB players they didn’t jump in until the saw their guy was going to get the puck. They were probably holding back thinking they’d pick off a goalie clearing pass....

Or they saw 4 Leaf players heading to the bench and it took them a second to realize they really were all going to change at the same time? :help:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Great game for speed and puck movement right from puck drop. Tampa played damn good. They wanted to show the Leafs they were better than their first 2 performances when Leafs were clearly better. And they were. give them credit they deserve. But that kind of game is great for the Leafs. An up down speed game with loads of skill and no hard heavy hits. I still think a game like that can go either way. The better team got the bounces but common on 4 flukers (including an own goal) like that NEVER happens. It is 1 in 100,000. The first 2 goals were LUCKY. It is a game of luck but Tampa got both bounces in the first.

Tampa was better team and deserved to win but a 3-1 game is all it really was. 1 fluker sure but not 4. I am not at all worried by that game.

There are a few players who need to amp up there game - Matty, Willy and Mitch. They were all sleeping. We can't win if those guys decide to take a game off.

Marleau and Brown. They are both passengers. It is hurting their centres. No one can carry around 2 pylons all game long in the NHL. Now Kadri did not play well either but I give him a pass coming off a concussion. But at least he had the puck and was trying.

Marleau is the bigger issue here for me. I get it all on the team mate, iron streak and the HOFer thing. BUT there is a limit here. This season he is hurting the team more with his performances than helping with leadership. Look at last night. A leader would have got the 3 kids amped up. But it did not happen. So we got no leadership and same old crappy performance. And too many nights we are getting that result. To be completely honest the team would be better with Brown in and Marleau out. But they are 2 who should be going out. Not Ennis or Moore.

Reactions: ToneDog and dsred

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Or they saw 4 Leaf players heading to the bench and it took them a second to realize they really were all going to change at the same time? :help:

That too. Either way, I’m guesssing they were surprised that it happened in an NHL game.

Reactions: RLF

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That happens all the time on the PP.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If he said it to a ref he will get a game. He knows better and I know he is not the type of person who would generally make slur like this. At high school he was one of a few young gifted players who treated everyone with respect and this was not typical at the school he attended for grade 9 and 10.

If he did say it I would have expected that he would have came out and appoliged already. Which to me is why I think what was posted on here earlier could be corrrct.
Lol someone yelled

Rag it.

Rag the puck means to slow it down, hang onto it.. kill clock. For people that don't know.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It is just beginning.

They play some excellent teams with veteran leadership ... and they aren't that.

They say you have to learn how to lose before you win in the playoffs and our Leafs are young and inexperienced and have not yet had a lot of teaching moments as Leafs have yet to win a playoff round.

TB has recent final 4 appearances to build off of, so Lightning are more prepared for the long journey.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
The Tampa Bay player was gunning for the puck, Sparks didn't have time to get to it safely, he was right to stay in net. Reilly was more concerned with trying to get another penalty called than the game being played, he should have gone after Gourde and tied him up in the corner while the next line could get back. That was pretty much a 3 on 0.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I read this comment in the Mirtle article today and thought I would repost it here:

Has any reporter ever had the guts to ask Babs about his "systems"? By that I mean the following; Why are you acting like you're on the PK when the puck is in your zone? Are they too stupid for each guy to take a zone or man to man and eliminate their guy for 3 sec? Why do you constantly harp about turning the puck over when you literally teach them to just launch it into the Neutral zone on a wing and prayer? Why do you not have any kind of forecheck at all and collapse back to the neutral zone and then let them waltz right into the zone anyway even though you have numbers back there? Why do you neuter your speed advantage by having your players stand at the other teams blue line and chip it in and then get outraced to the puck?

I could go on and on...either this team is incredibly daft and can't get the basics of hockey or they are being taught this stuff from Babs and company. If you watch the Marlies games you see a team with many different ways of playing...with the Leafs its just 1 way and if you can stop it..you win. I thought Babs was all about reinventing yourself every summer (while watching the hunting channel) and getting better each and everyday. Well, what have you done different this season Babs?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I read this comment in the Mirtle article today and thought I would repost it here:

Has any reporter ever had the guts to ask Babs about his "systems"? By that I mean the following; Why are you acting like you're on the PK when the puck is in your zone? Are they too stupid for each guy to take a zone or man to man and eliminate their guy for 3 sec? Why do you constantly harp about turning the puck over when you literally teach them to just launch it into the Neutral zone on a wing and prayer? Why do you not have any kind of forecheck at all and collapse back to the neutral zone and then let them waltz right into the zone anyway even though you have numbers back there? Why do you neuter your speed advantage by having your players stand at the other teams blue line and chip it in and then get outraced to the puck?

I could go on and on...either this team is incredibly daft and can't get the basics of hockey or they are being taught this stuff from Babs and company. If you watch the Marlies games you see a team with many different ways of playing...with the Leafs its just 1 way and if you can stop it..you win. I thought Babs was all about reinventing yourself every summer (while watching the hunting channel) and getting better each and everyday. Well, what have you done different this season Babs?
Is Mirtle too scared to ask these things himself?

Leafs9408

Mar 12, 2019
Hey guys , new poster here , been on the boards for a while tho. Anyways I just wanted to chime in on the rielly incident and the term “rag it”. In the dubas thread I seen a lot of comments saying it’s an antiquated term , which I disagree with.. I hear it all the time. Also if you’ve ever played some team play on nhl games guys say it all the time . Just wanted to post this because I was surprised at the amount of people that didn’t know the term

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why don't the media go deeper? They must be chicken sh*ts. Never seen a team with 1 breakout. For NHL it is kinda hard to believe.

And the hockey guys are always in the studio. It is the reporter types who go to the scrums. They must be told if you go there you will not be back. It is so superficial and never gets to real hockey talk.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad