Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They say you have to learn how to lose before you win in the playoffs and our Leafs are young and inexperienced and have not yet had a lot of teaching moments as Leafs have yet to win a playoff round.

TB has recent final 4 appearances to build off of, so Lightning are more prepared for the long journey.

Stamkos was 24 when he was part of their 1st. season with a win in round one (other than when he was a kid and Lecavalier and St. Louis where there leading the team).

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Hf mods handled the whole Reilly thing very well. Threads were just locked down and they waited until official information was announced, which kept speculation to a minimum.

In comparison, the hockey subreddit created a shit show. A thread titled “Morgan Reilly calls ref (insert slur) caught on mic”. It went to the top post on the subreddit, and then made it all the way to the FRONT PAGE of reddit entirely. Notice it’s stating it as fact, without using words like “may have” or “accused of”. People that questioned it were being labelled as “trolls”, and many were banned.

People are angry.

So the hf mod team deserves a kudos here.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
It's comical that you think it's makes someone soft because they'd refuse to accept to work in a place full of "low lifes" and abuse, as you say. I'd say it's more soft to accept this as a reality of your career and/or life instead of taking charge and not subjecting yourself to such negative externalities on a daily basis.

Life's short, don't settle.

And please, these guys love that aspect of professional sports. I've played sports for years and chirping is half the fun.

lol. Yeah I know. That’s why I said the chirping isn’t a big deal. I like confrontation and have been trained for years dealing with it so it’s a positive aspect of work for me. A lot like the chirping in sports.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He.. if rielly didn't say it..then who? Had to be a lightning player then?

Its not even confirmed it was actually said. There is significant evidence that the Tampa bench was yelling "Rag it" which is an accepted hockey term.

The lesson: Dont always believe what your ears tell you.

Well, that and dont jump to conclusions.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand

"Rag it" a hockey term, was determined to have been said and yes most likely by a Tampa player. It is has been dealt with officially and should be forgotten. Dubas and Reilly met with media to explain it all.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
This team has numerous flaws.
1. Adapting
2. Defending down low
3. Forecheck/cycle
4. Aggressive and physical

Now this isn’t going to be changed between now and the playoffs.
So all we can do is construct what we have to take advantage of our strengths.
If teams can lock our strength down, it will be a short playoff.

So then the GM either has to address that or find a coach who can make better use of the one trick we play.
That’s the point. If he’s as great a coach as everyone says, then he’ll find a way to maximize our strengths, not diminish them in favour of outdated antuquated offensive and defensive structures and ideas.

Reactions: weems

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Agreed. They are doing what Mcdavid does - skate in on his own half the time because the rest of the team can't cant keep up.
But difference is we HAVE the players, but they are setup and used wrong to the point of confusion.

Babcock is losing the room. You see it on players faces. you see it on Matthews the most.
matthews has stopped playing since he signed his contract.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Someone said it, not Rielly.

Piece of shit ppl in HFBoards general slandering the kid for something he didn't do.

Funny how there is no apology thread.

Reactions: hoglund

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Someone said it, not Rielly.

Piece of **** ppl in HFBoards general slandering the kid for something he didn't do.

Funny how there is no apology thread.
Nobody said it. The Tampa players were telling their PK'ers to "rag it". They say it over and over again. If you're unfamiliar with the term, it means to hold onto the puck and waste time, as opposed to just dumping it in.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Its not even confirmed it was actually said. There is significant evidence that the Tampa bench was yelling "Rag it" which is an accepted hockey term.

The lesson: Dont always believe what your ears tell you.

Well, that and dont jump to conclusions.
As Kevin Hart said at the Oscars, people need to stop looking for reasons to be angry. This was never an issue until someone looked for or was listening for a reason to be angry, it's pathetic.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Leafs show no improvement in the playoffs and still allow 3 goals a game on average, coaching should definitely be looked at.

Everything is looked at at the end of every season for every team.

I don't understand why people insist on pointing a crooked finger towards the coaching staff and say, yeah that is the problem. When this coaching staff is leading a team that was on a franchise record setting pace, players who play in this environment are setting individual team records. The team has the 2nd best GF/GA differential in the league but people default to blame the coaches. There is no thought that the personnel might not be ready to win, might not have the right chemistry on the team, we might be facing a better team, I know its shocking but there are teams that are considerably better than the Leafs.

How about we do this we ask ourselves are the players learning and growing as individuals and as teammates? Is the team top 10 in the league? Are we developing players on the Marlies who can help the big team? Is the GM actively looking for areas to improve? Does the coaching staff still have the ability to affect change?

Win or lose in round one this year, that is immaterial to the long term growth of this team, it's not about this year, it never has been. It took Ovi something like 14 years to win a cup, it took Sid on a veteran laden team 4 or 5 years to win a cup. We may make all the right moves and never win the Cup.

Enjoy the ride and the maturation process of all these great young talents are going through, you have to pay your dues before they will let you into the champions club. There is nothing that I see in this years team that suggests to me that they are ready to be a champion or have learned the lessons a champion must learn before they become a champion.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
As Kevin Hart said at the Oscars, people need to stop looking for reasons to be angry. This was never an issue until someone looked for or was listening for a reason to be angry, it's pathetic.

Couldn't agree more. the snowflake generation has learned that manipulation through anger can be an effective method for getting your way.

Feels like angry is the emotion of the 2010's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad