Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Of all thr bad losses this season this is one Ill react with the most indifference towards.

Flu running rampant through the team, 1st game back off of a long western road trip, missing the 2nd pairing, and facing one of the best teams of the decade.

Move on.

I've written it off as well but in comparison when Bruins returned from a longer west coast trip, they beat the Sharks and Lightning 4-1. There was no time change and no idea if the flu had made it's way through the team.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I've written it off as well but in comparison when Bruins returned from a longer west coast trip, they beat the Sharks and Lightning 4-1. There was no time change and no idea if the flu had made it's way through the team.

Thats fine. We've won games we "should have" lost too (B2B, road trip return).

It happens. In fact, shouldnt Tampa be upset about losing to Boston in that game?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Of all thr bad losses this season this is one Ill react with the most indifference towards.

Flu running rampant through the team, 1st game back off of a long western road trip, missing the 2nd pairing, and facing one of the best teams of the decade.

Move on.
It has "one of those games" from the outset. We've matched up very well against TB prior, I'm not extrapolating much from this one.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Read the thread and you'll see it was Brown's.

This loss cannot be blamed on any individual but the 4th liner Brown had 1 G and the elite Nylander zero SOG. God I wish the WNFC would put a fork in it and just stop. Chris Johnson was a little critical of Nylander's play (and not just last night's game).

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Thats fine. We've won games we "should have" lost too (B2B, road trip return).

It happens. In fact, shouldnt Tampa be upset about losing to Boston in that game?

Perhaps they were. From Goude's comments they were not happy about their previous games with Leafs and they showed it last night. When the Leafs start hating the taste of losing with a passion, things will get better. Stamkos and Hedman have been in the league for a long time and have not won a cup. This is year 3 for our core,

RLF

May 5, 2014
That they show up maybe? Don't "quit" as AM said

Matthews frustration this year is getting more obvious. I am trying to write this one off because of the flu and not sure how many guys affected.
That said, I see the same reasons over and over again that we lose.
1. Lack of compete by too many
2. We struggle when teams are on us and physically compete on the cycle and to break up ours. Something we do not do ourselves.
3. Awful stretch pass with dump and chase style while our forecheckers are standing still. We have no speed going into forecheck and it is a useless tactic when used that way.
4. Two men on puck when we forecheck, but no actual pressure which leads to easy breakouts for opposition.
5. Own end coverage is a step behind which leads to too many prime chances against.
6. Too many one and done chances on their net. We are too easily boxed out at their end and have trouble getting position and boxing out at our end
7. Our 4th line is the hardest working line...not a good thing.

These issues will be magnified in the playoffs if our guys do not find it within themselves to compete harder.imo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They are a team. We are a group of individuals. They anticipate and we react or got caught off guard.

Both are good machines, theirs is well oiled.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Matthews frustration this year is getting more obvious. I am trying to write this one off because of the flu and not sure how many guys affected.
That said, I see the same reasons over and over again that we lose.
1. Lack of compete by too many
2. We struggle when teams are on us and physically compete on the cycle and to break up ours. Something we do not do ourselves.
3. Awful stretch pass with dump and chase style while our forecheckers are standing still. We have no speed going into forecheck and it is a useless tactic when used that way.
4. Two men on puck when we forecheck, but no actual pressure which leads to easy breakouts for opposition.
5. Own end coverage is a step behind which leads to too many prime chances against.
6. Too many one and done chances on their net. We are too easily boxed out at their end and have trouble getting position and boxing out at our end
7. Our 4th line is the hardest working line...not a good thing.

These issues will be magnified in the playoffs if our guys do not find it within themselves to compete harder.imo

A lot of these were a problem last year too

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Hard not to get discouraged after watching them get dominated like that, but on the bright side, just take a look at the cup winners in the salary cap era. There's only been two presidents trophy winners that went on to win the cup so once we get in the playoffs it's a crapshoot. I like the Leafs' chances as much as anyone.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sundin wouldnt waive his NMC. His fault.

Funny, I was thinking about how good Sundin really was with Toronto last night.

He really took over the team at age 24, and carried much of the load for the next 12 years.

Gilmour broke through with the Blues at age 23. Had his best year at age 29, and started his steep and dramatic decline at age 30.

Matthews is 21, Marner is 21, Nylander is 22.

Lightning had some fortunate breaks, kind of like Rielly's goals on the road trip, seeing eye goals from the blueline.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not concerned about last night's game (as crappy as it was) but am concerned about repeating patterns of failing to start on time, losing more puck battles than the opponent, hemmed in own zone etc

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This was discussed last week and I’m not entirely sure of the underlying stats, but I heard on First Up this morning that the Leafs record against the leading defensive teams is something like 4-13-x.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If the NHL suspends Rielly, so be it, however, the Ref that completely IGNORED the hooking against Rielly, should be suspended and not allowed to referee another Leafs game ever!

For frig sakes, I saw the infraction watching the game in my living room here in Ottawa. How can any Ref miss it completely being right there, at the game, on the ice?

He deserved to be called something something something after all is said and done! f***ing *** **tard!

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Not concerned about last night's game (as crappy as it was) but am concerned about repeating patterns of failing to start on time, losing more puck battles than the opponent, hemmed in own zone etc

Exactly. None of these games, periods, zone times, etc. exist in a vacuum. It's a pattern of behaviour that keeps repeating over and over and half this fan base is incapable of grasping that because "muh team."

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad