Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 In OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only thing I actually see is a puck on the line in the final pic, what am I missing?

I'm not sure why people are so upset about that goal, or non-goal or whatever it was. We've been mediocre for the last 6+ weeks, our goaltending is a huge concern, our PP has become the joke of the league but ... but that was a goal dammit!!

I guess it's easier to scream about one play then it is to step back, look at the big picture and face the fact that this team doesn't look like a team that's ready to go on a playoff run.

Reactions: Glacious and egd27

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
For the record: the poster @Coachcorner is no longer allowed to make GDT from this point forward, right?

Openly jinxed us.
I ain'ts making gdt sire. I only mades that pre gezame talk thread sire. Also eh uh, I was trying to get all of us some money. We should have won that game, easily. But we ain'ts have the balls to do it................ maybe after foligno sire. We already have some thugs and thugettes, but evidently we need more. Foligno will do us a huge favor. A favor, for a favor, that's how we do business.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm not sure why people are so upset about that goal, or non-goal or whatever it was. We've been mediocre for the last 6+ weeks, our goaltending is a huge concern, our PP has become the joke of the league but ... but that was a goal dammit!!

I guess it's easier to scream about one play then it is to step back, look at the big picture and face the fact that this team doesn't look like a team that's ready to go on a playoff run.
I get the frustration, given the angles and replays that I've seen I'm confident the puck was in. Those are typically called goals right now, but this wasn't and that frustrating.

With that said, u haven't seen any "conclusive" evidence and the only thing in that pic is evidence it didn't go in. (final shot on the goal line)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Because it's the difference in winning and losing. Because scoring a goal with 20 seconds left to win it is something that playoff teams want to do.

I see your posts about our concerns, I share them pretty much to the word, but scoring that goal is a big deal because it's the team battling through adversity.

I will challenge you on the "mediocre for six weeks" bit though. We went 9-0-1 from March 20th to April 10th. We're in another slide right now, but keep the perspective.

Reactions: hoglund

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It is a nice roster, we have some very good players.

How confident are you that we will have quality goaltending in the playoffs?

How confident are you that our PP will perform well in the playoffs?

The bolded is the key. Our roster looked good compared to CLB last season too, I have be honest though and say that I'd rather win in the playoffs then have a pretty roster.
Cherry-picking parts of the team is no different than cherry-picking parts of a season. I just look at it all as a whole. At the end of the season, we will see what kind of year we had. As I said as a whole I'm good with this situation, bring on the playoffs.

Reactions: ToneDog and hoglund

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It is a nice roster, we have some very good players.

How confident are you that we will have quality goaltending in the playoffs?

How confident are you that our PP will perform well in the playoffs?

The bolded is the key. Our roster looked good compared to CLB last season too, I have be honest though and say that I'd rather win in the playoffs then have a pretty roster.
You have to give Jack a little time to get his form back because he's played so well overall, but if he doesn't we need to be extremely quick with the hook in the playoffs.

The concern there is none of our guys (except maybe Rittich) are known for a strong mental game. Jack's overly hard on himself and Fred seems to need to play his way out of struggles

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
With Jack coming down to earth, this team seriously needs Andy to return 100% and/or start outscoring their mistakes and/or figure out their pathetic PP. A PP relying on their one wounded shooter, is pretty easy to defend and the results show it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I get the frustration, given the angles and replays that I've seen I'm confident the puck was in. Those are typically called goals right now, but this wasn't and that frustrating.

With that said, u haven't seen any "conclusive" evidence and the only thing in that pic is evidence it didn't go in. (final shot on the goal line)

My understanding is that the call on the ice stands unless the replay shows for certain that the call should be reversed. The replay from what I could tell was not clear so I would have been very surprised to see the call overturned.

Because it's the difference in winning and losing. Because scoring a goal with 20 seconds left to win it is something that playoff teams want to do.

I see your posts about our concerns, I share them pretty much to the word, but scoring that goal is a big deal because it's the team battling through adversity.

I will challenge you on the "mediocre for six weeks" bit though. We went 9-0-1 from March 20th to April 10th. We're in another slide right now, but keep the perspective.

What adversity? Whatever it is we're battling through is nothing compared to what Vancouver was up against last night.

Six weeks, 10-11 in the last 21. If we didn't have that hot run in the middle of that it would have obviously have been a lot worse.

I think I have things in perspective pretty well. Our goaltending have been a question mark all season and is becoming a bigger concern with each game we play. Our PP is the joke of the league. Everything else is pretty good I guess and we still have 11 games to turn it around but if we don't turn it around, the goaltending alone is enough of a problem that a deep playoff run is a pipe dream.

Reactions: egd27

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
There were so many Leafy moments within the loss too.

1) The complete lack of any emotional response for Hyman's injury. Slow, bored PP. You wouldn't have thought the Leafs wanted to beat the Canucks at all after they took out a teammate.

2) Leader Thornton wasting time being on the special teams and just skates away when Pearson is cross checking Galchenyuk after the whistle.

3) The Puck Possession King Leafs possessed the puck for 4 seconds or something in the OT period. Not only did the Covid ravaged Canucks maintain the puck for a good 2 minutes, the moment Marner got it he flipped it back down the ice which set up the Canucks for another minute run with the puck.
there is a reason why Thorton had his captaincy stripped. and our great leader goes ahead and brings him in as “a locker room guy”

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Cherry-picking parts of the team is no different than cherry-picking parts of a season. I just look at it all as a whole. At the end of the season, we will see what kind of year we had. As I said as a whole I'm good with this situation, bring on the playoffs.

When the season is over, sure. As I said earlier, how a team is playing heading into the playoffs is a better predictor of playoff success then the overall record and that's my concern right now. That's me anyway, I value playoff success above all else and if we go out in the 1st round again (or even the 2nd round), the regular season will be zero consolation, I don't care if we finish 5th overall, 10th, 1st or whatever else.

You have to give Jack a little time to get his form back because he's played so well overall, but if he doesn't we need to be extremely quick with the hook in the playoffs.

The concern there is none of our guys (except maybe Rittich) are known for a strong mental game. Jack's overly hard on himself and Fred seems to need to play his way out of struggles

Yeah the concern is that we don't have one guy right now that we can be confident in. I agree that we have to be quick with the hook and hope somebody gets hot. I haven't written off Jack yet but I think he has a long string of games with sub .900 SV%, 9 or 10 games now? Hard to be too hopeful with those numbers.

I wish I knew what was up with Freddie, if he's able to play that gives us a third lottery ticket and if his poor play was due to injury, who knows, there may even be some cause for optimism. Or maybe he's on Robidas island to stay, I have no idea.

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
My understanding is that the call on the ice stands unless the replay shows for certain that the call should be reversed. The replay from what I could tell was not clear so I would have been very surprised to see the call overturned.

What adversity? Whatever it is we're battling through is nothing compared to what Vancouver was up against last night.

Six weeks, 10-11 in the last 21. If we didn't have that hot run in the middle of that it would have obviously have been a lot worse.

I think I have things in perspective pretty well. Our goaltending have been a question mark all season and is becoming a bigger concern with each game we play. Our PP is the joke of the league. Everything else is pretty good I guess and we still have 11 games to turn it around but if we don't turn it around, the goaltending alone is enough of a problem that a deep playoff run is a pipe dream.
The adversity of a tie game, a hot goalie, and yet another embarrassing loss. Yeah, the Canucks were facing worse but I think it's really strange that you don't want to recognize the difference between winning in regulation and losing in OT. It completely changes the narrative from "man that game was way harder than it should have been" to "hahaha Laffs another one".

Sounds a whole lot to me like we sucked for a few weeks, played well for a few weeks, and are now sucking again. The losses before the win streak had plenty where we were the better team but Andersen was a complete sieve. It's not logically consistent to take two bad stretches as evidence that the middle stretch was crap.

I don't question your perspective on the strengths and weaknesses, I agree with all you have to say about our goalies and our PP. Just the duration of our suckage. And I really do believe that if that goal last night counts the mood around here is completely different. Instead of despair it would just be mild frustration with our constant inability to solve goalies, shit PP, and simmering existential terror about the goalies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Lack of giving a &$&* shows with this team

Just bunch of pretty boys.

I never want to see Simmonds in Leafs uniform again. He just sucks in every way. He was brought in here to do one job and he can't or won't do it

So where are the fans who just want the two points? did you get your two points?

Having balls still pays off in this league.

Oiler in Peace
Agree with ya on Simmonds. He should have pounded someone next shift after Hyman hit

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I thought they had altered it to some discretion, for situations like this. Where the puck is logically behind the line even if a camera doesn't show it 100%.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the official get in position for it was well. He doesn't move to get a look at the puck, he's cemented behind the net for it to squeak out

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The only thing I actually see is a puck on the line in the final pic, what am I missing?

When he kicks his second leg over which every goalie does in a play like this... you can see the last second as he kicks that leg over the puck falls down and he brings it in so it looks like it wasn't in and its against the side of the net.

NHL calls it in inconclusive. Okay ...

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
@Gary Nylund

To further delve into why the last goal not counting really matters, last night when Matthews scored on the PP I posted in the live thread, "holy shit that goal might have just saved our season". What we've seen the past few games is that Leafs-dread creeping into their play. Against Calgary they failed on that late 4 minute PP and we all knew that they were going to lose from there. The Jets got 3 quick ones and it was clear we were dead. Habs scored 1 minute in and we were fighting it the whole night. When the Canucks tied it last night and we'd spent the whole night struggling on the PP again, it was clear that they were terrified on the bench. It's that constant Leafy-ness that we're seeing again that has us so scared. For most of this year it's felt like this team is different. We've been winning tight one goal games and generally outplaying our opponents. But this most recent stretch feels like that Senators collapse every single game.

The boys haven't been getting it done. We want to see the team fight through all the excuses to just win the darn hockey games. That's why putting the puck into the net with 20 seconds left felt like such a big deal. That they had finally fought through their own mental defeats and were actually going to win one of these stupid games that we really ought to win. Losing games that we ought to win is practically a part of the Leafs DNA, so bucking that trend and proving again that this team is different is something that we all desperately needed to see. Yeah, it doesn't fix the PP or the goaltending, but hot damn if it doesn't help soothe the angst.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The adversity of a tie game, a hot goalie, and yet another embarrassing loss. Yeah, the Canucks were facing worse but I think it's really strange that you don't want to recognize the difference between winning in regulation and losing in OT. It completely changes the narrative from "man that game was way harder than it should have been" to "hahaha Laffs another one".

Sounds a whole lot to me like we sucked for a few weeks, played well for a few weeks, and are now sucking again. The losses before the win streak had plenty where we were the better team but Andersen was a complete sieve. It's not logically consistent to take two bad stretches as evidence that the middle stretch was crap.

I don't question your perspective on the strengths and weaknesses, I agree with all you have to say about our goalies and our PP. Just the duration of our suckage. And I really do believe that if that goal last night counts the mood around here is completely different. Instead of despair it would just be mild frustration with our constant inability to solve goalies, shit PP, and simmering existential terror about the goalies.

Eh, I just hate everything about what OT does to the standings. The standings for some reason differentiate between losses and OT losses but don't differentiate between wins and OT wins.

The most sensible approach to me would be to ignore OT entirely since there is no 3on3 and no shootouts in the playoffs, just take what happens in regulation and leave it at that. I'm too lazy to manually figure all that out for myself though and in the end, it's a few points here and a few points there so doesn't matter that much anyway I guess.

You might be right about the overall "mood", not my mood though. I don't care about the goal allowed or not allowed, I don't care about winning or losing in OT, I don't even care that much about winning or losing last night just like I didn't care that much about losing to a zamboni driver.

Goaltending, that's my biggest concern and last night did nothing to assuage my concerns.

The PP sucked again last night, that's another huge problem and one that's been going on for longer than I care to think about.

Next on my list of concerns was Matthews and his wrist, now Hyman's injury has dropped that to #4 on the list.

That's the big picture the way I see it. I'm very worried at this point, not because we lost last night, not because we've lost a few in a row and not even because we've been mediocre for quite some time now. It's those reasons I've listed, those are my concerns and yes, I believe that's plenty to be worried about.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, I'm out of excuses. Team's not that good. Been losing games they should be winning for over a month. What's the opposite of a killer instinct? We have that.

upload_2021-4-19_9-34-46.jpg

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The PP sucked again last night, that's another huge problem and one that's been going on for longer than I care to think about.

Next on my list of concerns was Matthews and his wrist, now Hyman's injury has dropped that to #4 on the list.

That's the big picture the way I see it. I'm very worried at this point, not because we lost last night, not because we've lost a few in a row and not even because we've been mediocre for quite some time now. It's those reasons I've listed, those are my concerns and yes, I believe that's plenty to be worried about.
Ultimately I share those worries. I'm just willing to sweat the small stuff right now ;)

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad