Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 In OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I thought they had altered it to some discretion, for situations like this. Where the puck is logically behind the line even if a camera doesn't show it 100%.

Personally I would have liked to have seen the official get in position for it was well. He doesn't move to get a look at the puck, he's cemented behind the net for it to squeak out

Interesting. I hadn't heard that but could be I missed it.

@Gary Nylund

To further delve into why the last goal not counting really matters, last night when Matthews scored on the PP I posted in the live thread, "holy shit that goal might have just saved our season". What we've seen the past few games is that Leafs-dread creeping into their play. Against Calgary they failed on that late 4 minute PP and we all knew that they were going to lose from there. The Jets got 3 quick ones and it was clear we were dead. Habs scored 1 minute in and we were fighting it the whole night. When the Canucks tied it last night and we'd spent the whole night struggling on the PP again, it was clear that they were terrified on the bench. It's that constant Leafy-ness that we're seeing again that has us so scared. For most of this year it's felt like this team is different. We've been winning tight one goal games and generally outplaying our opponents. But this most recent stretch feels like that Senators collapse every single game.

The boys haven't been getting it done. We want to see the team fight through all the excuses to just win the darn hockey games. That's why putting the puck into the net with 20 seconds left felt like such a big deal. That they had finally fought through their own mental defeats and were actually going to win one of these stupid games that we really ought to win. Losing games that we ought to win is practically a part of the Leafs DNA, so bucking that trend and proving again that this team is different is something that we all desperately needed to see. Yeah, it doesn't fix the PP or the goaltending, but hot damn if it doesn't help soothe the angst.

Hmm, OK. I haven't thought of it that way but I can see where you're coming from. I'm still not that focused on single game results, I'm more focused on our goaltending and it's not a pretty picture.

I still think we have a good shot at winning two rounds. The odds of doing that aren't nearly what I thought they were earlier though and the possibility of losing again in the 1st round seems like more of a possibility then I would have hoped.

Reactions: LeafGrief

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Holtby's windmill save was nice and great concentration.

What bothered me about it was simmons didn't stop up at the net to try and whack away at it. He just continued his momentum right into the corner and watched the save happen.

Its little things like that some of leafs are lacking. Smaller details they aren't executing

Last edited:
Reactions: justloveleafs

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 9.52.06 AM.png

They got unlucky last night...no need to panic.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
leafs lost to the most rested and injury free team in the NHL. Of course the folks behind Corona's creation and political squeeze won't allow any good news stories like that. Instead, Corona is the big bad wolf.

Vancouver was flying. No muscle aches, no bruises, sprains. They were footlose and fancy free.

But Beavis and Butthead know to keep the spin going, if they want to keep their jobs.

Forget looking outside the box these days, now you have to look outside the obelisk.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
View attachment 424187

They got unlucky last night...no need to panic.

Agreed, the result of that one game is no reason to panic.

That meter though, I did a quick search and can't find out how that number is calculated. I'm wondering if it factors in goaltending, I mean if your goalie craps out, that can outweigh a lot of good things the team does in front of him.

Do you deserve to win when your goalie plays like crap?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We lack that killer instinct to badly beat a team when it is down .. this is a pattern with this core .. that said Holtby was world class and Soupy had an off game .. what i see is we only have a couple guys who have that killer trait - Zach and Wayner - both guys will chase pucks in corner and do what it takes to come out da winner on boards .. adding foligno will give us 3 of those type of players which will help our cause .. so I don't panic with this lack of hard core killer instinct ..

Guys like Gally have speed and skill but lack defensive awareness and lack meanness on da forecheck .. too many guys like that with Willy, Mitch, Junbo, Spezz, Mik .. even Robertson and Kerfoot have da heart but too damn small to be effective ..

then JT needs to finish better .. another thread on this matter but it was clear again last night he had 3-5 great chances to finish and he is lacking something which I have not seen before ...

Like Brodie and Muzzy together it is a good match and Muzzy looked much better .. Rielly and Holl no no no it will never work (not enough defensive thinking and awareness which was blatantly obvious on 2nd goal by Canucks to tie it up in 3rd) .. Bogo had an off game and needs to rest up brutal lack of awareness and pinch and Dermy still too much of a kid to pick up on it fast enough ..

Matty looked good which was best part of game .. hope Zach is back as we can't lose little we have of our warriors .. overall we outplayed canucks clearly but we did not do what it takes to finish them off .. too many good guys here not enough physical and mental toughness

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
We literally won in regulation after dominating and getting robbed 6 times by Holtby. just didnt get the extra point cuz of shit technology.

Should have won like 5 or 6 - 2 tbh.

Few posts, a few ridiculous saves.

Too much overpassing though.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
leafs lost to the most rested and injury free team in the NHL.
Vancouver was flying. No muscle aches, no bruises, sprains. They were footlose and fancy free.

I assume you aren't serious.

Reality Check:

21 of the Canuck players had COVID-19.

The Canucks were completely outplayed and out chanced.
Their possession number were horrible. They were missing their top Centre and RW, and 2 top 6 DMen and their top keeper due to COVID or injury.
The Canucks are a bad team even when they have these players.
Their number 2 keeper had a memorable night and the Leafs keeper was the second best keeper in the game.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
We literally won in regulation after dominating and getting robbed 6 times by Holtby. just didnt get the extra point cuz of shit technology.

We did NOT win in regulation. Adding the word 'literally' doesn't change that; it just makes you look illiterate.

We didn't get the extra point because we didn't put the puck into their net. Technology has nothing to do with that.

Reactions: Glacious and egd27

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Love it when a goalie wins 11 straight and when he loses a couple of games, fans go off on him. I wish he could be that goalie that wins every game he starts, what do people expect. There are games he clearly had won for us, and he was a hero... relax people, this last stretch of games will not determine playoff outcome.

Reactions: Confucius

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
We lack that killer instinct to badly beat a team when it is down .. this is a pattern with this core .. that said Holtby was world class and Soupy had an off game .. what i see is we only have a couple guys who have that killer trait - Zach and Wayner - both guys will chase pucks in corner and do what it takes to come out da winner on boards .. adding foligno will give us 3 of those type of players which will help our cause .. so I don't panic with this lack of hard core killer instinct ..

Guys like Gally have speed and skill but lack defensive awareness and lack meanness on da forecheck .. too many guys like that with Willy, Mitch, Junbo, Spezz, Mik .. even Robertson and Kerfoot have da heart but too damn small to be effective ..

then JT needs to finish better .. another thread on this matter but it was clear again last night he had 3-5 great chances to finish and he is lacking something which I have not seen before ...

Like Brodie and Muzzy together it is a good match and Muzzy looked much better .. Rielly and Holl no no no it will never work (not enough defensive thinking and awareness which was blatantly obvious on 2nd goal by Canucks to tie it up in 3rd) .. Bogo had an off game and needs to rest up brutal lack of awareness and pinch and Dermy still too much of a kid to pick up on it fast enough ..

Matty looked good which was best part of game .. hope Zach is back as we can't lose little we have of our warriors .. overall we outplayed canucks clearly but we did not do what it takes to finish them off .. too many good guys here not enough physical and mental toughness

Good point on Gally's lack of defensive awareness. On one goal for some reason, I watched mostly Gally for the entire shift, till the Vancouver goal. He was skating around as if he was playing all by himself. On that particular sequence, he made three gaffes, that if it was Rielly, the whole board would be up in arms.

I have liked Gally up till now, but that shift, showed me why he has probably been fired by every team that is coached by a guy who doesn't like mental errors.

It was weird watching him. He seemed like he wanted to do the right thing, but visually, his awareness, was next to nothing. He had no clue where the most important players were, at all.

Defensive awareness in the playoffs.......pretty darn important.

Wayne Simmonds last night.... to me, looked like a shell. He gives away more presents and gifts than St. Nick on xmas eve. And the skate by, when Holtby, was dealing with that near goal by Matthews, Simmonds just looked at a juicy peach on the tree, and kept on skating by.

Little things now, but they become more pronounced in the playoffs. As we all unfortunately know.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Love it when a goalie wins 11 straight and when he loses a couple of games, fans go off on him. I wish he could be that goalie that wins every game he starts, what do people expect. There are games he clearly had won for us, and he was a hero... relax people, this last stretch of games will not determine playoff outcome.

Campbell sucks. He's 29 and he was just a typical backup who got into hot streak. Like Hamburglar and many others. Backups often do that, because other teams don't scout backup goalies. Now they have some video of him and it show why he is at 29 a backup not a starter.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Don't be blinded by 11 straight and focus on his performance instead. The streak was nice, but it's history.

His SV% was over .960 I think at one point, now it's down to .930.

.930 is very good obviously but then again, it's even more obvious that thinking we're getting .930 from him going forward would be ignorant.

Someone posted the numbers last night, I can't remember exactly (and I haven't verified this) but if the numbers are correct, he's riding a streak of 9 games or so where he's been below .900 every game and that's why his numbers overall are plummeting.

He's not as good as .960, he's also not as bad as this last stretch would suggest. He better turn it around soon though because if he doesn't, he will be of no help come playoff time and this teams hopes will rest on the shoulders of Rittich and Hutchinson.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm not even that upset. It took so many things to go wrong for us to lose that game in OT. Holtby was amazing, Campbell was uncharacteristically awful, we had the game winning goal missed in regulation...

Not to mention that once Vancouver got their legs under them, they seemed just as competitive as they normally would be.

Still a disappointing result, but not worth stepping on the ledge. If Hyman's injury isn't season ending, I consider it a win.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good point on Gally's lack of defensive awareness. On one goal for some reason, I watched mostly Gally for the entire shift, till the Vancouver goal. He was skating around as if he was playing all by himself. On that particular sequence, he made three gaffes, that if it was Rielly, the whole board would be up in arms.

I have liked Gally up till now, but that shift, showed me why he has probably been fired by every team that is coached by a guy who doesn't like mental errors.

It was weird watching him. He seemed like he wanted to do the right thing, but visually, his awareness, was next to nothing. He had no clue where the most important players were, at all.

Defensive awareness in the playoffs.......pretty darn important.

Wayne Simmonds last night.... to me, looked like a shell. He gives away more presents and gifts than St. Nick on xmas eve. And the skate by, when Holtby, was dealing with that near goal by Matthews, Simmonds just looked at a juicy peach on the tree, and kept on skating by.

Little things now, but they become more pronounced in the playoffs. As we all unfortunately know.
Gally only 1 of many guys who play same offensive way same offensive game ... if he is scoring then you can have a few guys like that but when he misses a chance in front of net like last night where all he has to do is raise puck on a flicker and it is in net then you can't tolerate his defensive awareness issues ... we just have too many of same type of players .. between Mitch Willy and Mik and then Gally it is one too many ..

Foligno Matty Mitch
Robertson JT Willy
Mik Kerfoot Hyman
Jumbo Spezz Simmonds

in playoffs expect Simmonds to move up for Robertson as we need a heavy presence on one wing on wall and in front of net

Simmonds is not a good puck mover but like last night showed he can mess u up on wall and he can drive net and although he did not score last night he should of as Holtby got lucky let's be honest ..

Also Nash will insert in for Kerfoot and we will have a solid 3rd checking line in playoffs

Bellzy

It was 4-1 finally has better meaning….
Jun 30, 2018
Lots of bipolar fans as usual. Last week team is awesome Campbell with the record and playoff starter now he's trash and Toronto still one of the top teams is garbage. Take a breath. This team lost to Holtby playing like it was game 7 of the finals.
But we need to play like it’s game 7 of the finals every game! Even against Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad