Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 In OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
We did NOT win in regulation. Adding the word 'literally' doesn't change that; it just makes you look illiterate.

We didn't get the extra point because we didn't put the puck into their net. Technology has nothing to do with that.
Tech has everything to do with it as there wasnt a camera to properly capture the puck in the net on live TV. However Theres solid evidence of the puck crossing the line on Twitter. Not hard to find.

Therefore we won in reg and lost in overtime. Leave it to the Leafs to let that impossible sentence become a reality.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not even that upset. It took so many things to go wrong for us to lose that game in OT. Holtby was amazing, Campbell was uncharacteristically awful, we had the game winning goal missed in regulation...

Not to mention that once Vancouver got their legs under them, they seemed just as competitive as they normally would be.

Still a disappointing result, but not worth stepping on the ledge. If Hyman's injury isn't season ending, I consider it a win.

Campbell's been bad for some time now. Not saying he can't be better going forward but I don't think we can really count on that either because ... he's been bad for some time now.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Don't be blinded by 11 straight and focus on his performance instead. The streak was nice, but it's history.

His SV% was over .960 I think at one point, now it's down to .930.

.930 is very good obviously but then again, it's even more obvious that thinking we're getting .930 from him going forward would be ignorant.

Someone posted the numbers last night, I can't remember exactly (and I haven't verified this) but if the numbers are correct, he's riding a streak of 9 games or so where he's been below .900 every game and that's why his numbers overall are plummeting.

He's not as good as .960, he's also not as bad as this last stretch would suggest. He better turn it around soon though because if he doesn't, he will be of no help come playoff time and this teams hopes will rest on the shoulders of Rittich and Hutchinson.
Campbell played ok yesterday, it's that Holtby stood on his head and stole this game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Campbell played ok yesterday, it's that Holtby stood on his head and stole this game.

Reminds me of when Carlyle said Reimer was OK. Yeah Campbell was OK.

In any case, I'd like to retract-revise what I posted about Campbell being terrible lately. Someone last night posted that Campbell was on a run of 9 games or something like that with sub .900 SV%.

I finally decided to check that and it's simply not true. He hasn't been great lately but not as bad as that either.

His SV% has been below .900 in 6 out of the the last and 5 out of the last 6, not the last 9 straight.

My apologies for taking someone's incorrect post at face value.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Man, I'm tired of seeing how much we deserved to win after every loss.

Is there a "Get r Done" Meter?

OMG so much this. I must have read 1000 posts after the playins about how great we played against CLB. Just thinking about it makes me wanna puke.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Campbell's been bad for some time now. Not saying he can't be better going forward but I don't think we can really count on that either because ... he's been bad for some time now.

I think yesterday was the first time he actually cost us the game. I agree that he's been regressing over his last few starts though.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Man, I'm tired of seeing how much we deserved to win after every loss.

Is there a "Get r Done" Meter?

Yea, its called first in the division and 5th in the league despite getting more unlucky than lucky this year.

This is a really good team, best Leafs team since the 90s.

It has the worst local media than any other major team in pro sports though. A weirdly arrogant anti-homer media.

Did you know we have one of the best players in the league about to win the first major trophy for a Leafs player in a quarter century?

The fact that story is buried an avalanche of negativity says all you need to know about the current situation.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yea, its called first in the division and 5th in the league despite getting more unlucky than lucky this year.

It has the worst local media than any other major team in pro sports though. A weirdly arrogant anti-homer media.

Did you know we have one of the best players in the league about to win the first major trophy for a Leafs player in a quarter century?

The fact that story is buried an avalanche of negativity says all you need to know about the current situation.
Truthfully we don't have local media. We have national media that sits locally

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
But we need to play like it’s game 7 of the finals every game! Even against Vancouver
Not sure if you're serious. Could you imagine playing an entire season like its game 7 of a series? Our players would be gassed out and injured before making the playoffs. We should have won the game. Shit happens. I dont think overall they played poorly, just more of running into a goalie who made some impressive and lucky saves.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I am thinking that the Canucks showed us 1 of 2 things last night.

1. The team was not overly sick from Covid and they were just bitching to have a couple of extra practices and the schedule fixed up a bit.

2. If indeed all they needed was a couple of extra practices to play that well after not playing a game for 24 days...then we can assume no teams need more than 1 pre-season game and a week of practice before starting the season.

One of those 2 things is true IMO.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
the bipolar fans thing is kind of funny.

I think it's more like people were ignoring certain things when Campbell was on the streak moreso than others overreacting now that those things have come to the fore.

Bigger picture, I've given plenty of praise to the team this year. they have a good record.

but it would be dishonest to ignore special teams and goaltending, which are a significant part of winning games as well.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The only thing I actually see is a puck on the line in the final pic, what am I missing?

Sorry but this is simply not correct. None of those pictures show it over the line. There was a play almost exactly like this in the mid or early 90's that benefitted the Leafs and I proved conclusively back then the puck can literally be behind the post yet not over the line.

Either way, the call on the ice was no goal and nothing in that tweet was enough to overturn that call which is what would have been required. And in all honesty, I think they kept it out.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We dominated and didn’t have puck luck
We deserved to win
We ran into a hot goalie
Our advanced stats are really good

Are we the only team that always run into a hot goalie?
Call me old fashion but the only stats that matters is getting the W after each game.

Last night game was on Campbell bc I think this is the first time this season where he lost us the game but the team really didn’t do much to help.
1. Where is the rally after Hyman got kneed?
Did they even care that one of them got nailed-accident or not, they need to show more guts and fire.
2. Where is the killer instinct? Beside the forth line and AM, the rest of the team rarely crash the net.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Sorry but this is simply not correct. None of those pictures show it over the line. There was a play almost exactly like this in the mid or early 90's that benefitted the Leafs and I proved conclusively back then the puck can literally be behind the post yet not over the line.

Either way, the call on the ice was no goal and nothing in that tweet was enough to overturn that call which is what would have been required. And in all honesty, I think they kept it out.
....so what's incorrect about my post then?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think yesterday was the first time he actually cost us the game. I agree that he's been regressing over his last few starts though.

Yeah we've won a lot of games this season despite poor goaltending. We can maybe win a series or two doing that but it's not a winning formula in the long run.

If being better then all the shitty teams we've had over the last couple of decades is enough to make you happy, then be happy I guess. For me personally, that was enough three years ago but it's not anymore. I was optimistic going into the season and I was hoping we could compare ourselves to the best teams in the NHL instead of comparing us to the doormats we've been in the past, oh well.

I want to compete for the Stanley Cup. To do that, you have to win 4 PO series in a row, I've been waiting many, many years for us to win even the 1st one. Still waiting.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Sorry, I thought you were claiming it was a goal. I'm saying it wasn't. Maybe I misunderstood?
I think the puck crossed the line, but none of those pictures are "proof" of it. Being on the line, which was my quote, isn't a goal and there's only 1 shot that shows a clear view of the puck in that tweet.

Not sure if I'll have time, but I'd like to check on the "conclusive" rule for these situations again because I thought it was updated.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Slept on it, still pissed. This loss I should be over, much like how the 5-1 choke against Ottawa I was over by the next day. But the Hyman injury, our lack of response, and the response of some in the media is making this one all the worse. Can’t believe how many people in the media are saying “oh, Edler was on the ice for 3 minutes, he was tired” as if that f***ing excuses the rat f*** of intentionally sticking his knee out in an obvious dirty play.

And of course the Leafs can only barely make them pay on the 5 minute major and God Forbid they do anything physical to defend their teammate and honour so pfft.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Slept on it, still pissed. This loss I should be over, much like how the 5-1 choke against Ottawa I was over by the next day. But the Hyman injury, our lack of response, and the response of some in the media is making this one all the worse. Can’t believe how many people in the media are saying “oh, Edler was on the ice for 3 minutes, he was tired” as if that f***ing excuses the rat f*** of intentionally sticking his knee out in an obvious dirty play.

And of course the Leafs can only barely make them pay on the 5 minute major and God Forbid they do anything physical to defend their teammate and honour so pfft.

This season is all about playoff redemption, so the regular season is probably not the primary focus.

But ever since the Ottawa 6-5 party from last Saturday (where the Leafs were already showing signs of leaky defense, goaltending cooling off and eroding details) I feel like you can still pick up the faintest whiff of the Columbus series: inconsistent effort and lapses, running into a “hot goalie” and getting stymied by lower talent teams who are intent on disruption, whether aggressively interfering with speed or clogging up the neutral zone, getting caught off guard by overlooking an opponent.

Also, the grit grinder, physical elements and high energy leadership the Leafs brought in seem to be sagging down the stretch. Foligno will be very important and hopefully Hyman is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->