Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 In OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Seems like we keep running into hot goalie after hot goalie. If this is the growing trend of how its going to be in the playoffs we're in for a rough ride....

I wonder if there's a stat somewhere for opponents SV% over the course of the season? I'm reminded of our PO loss to CLB where their SV% was amazing but I didn't think their goalies played as good as you'd think based on those numbers. Maybe if we keep making goalies look hot it's not the goalies, it's our team.

I've had three main concerns about this team over the last month or so.

1 - goaltending is a big question mark
2 - the health of Matthews
3 - the PP

The question mark in goal keeps getting bigger so it's a bigger concern than it was,
Matthews was out for a game but is back and looks OK so OK hopefully.
The PP has become a joke. I kept thinking there's plenty of time to sort it out, not so sure anymore.

Now add Hyman's health to the list, if he's out then it seems like there's just too much for this team to overcome and getting to the final 4 seems like the absolute ceiling for what we can accomplish, as opposed to the minimum expectation.

Reactions: egd27 and Atomos2

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Overall I thought theLeafs played hard, skated, hit, and were pretty good.

Holtby was great.
We are killing ourselves with over passing and all the blind drop passes and back passes though. They have to get hugely reduced.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Not as if he had great goal support, though. Why are we over reacting to a rough spell after such a good spell too.

People acting as if he’s trash all of a sudden.
You’re right but the problem is people overreacted to the good spell. In those 11 games he was solid, never really stealing a game as a No.1 occasionally does. Everyone anointed him the No.1, but he’s really not, never has been, never will be. He doesn’t have the mental makeup to be one. He’s way too harsh on himself and remembers the poor goals he lets in. This will always lead to poor streaks following good ones.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You need to read more of my posts I have always said Jack Campbell is not a #1, he is a fantastic backup but he IS a backup.

A #1 goalie wins this game you can't call yourself a #1 goalie and lose to a team coming off Covid you simply can't do that
Andersen lost to a zamboni driver and people think he is still a number one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Andersen lost to a zamboni driver and people think he is still a number one.

Andersen started that game against an NHL, he lost because the team quit.

Tonight the team lost because Jack Campbell is a fantastic backup but he IS a backup.

The 2nd Horvat goal is the difference between a starter and a backup

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
May be shanny needs to go into the locker room and threaten the players...

"get your shit together or Babcock is coming back. We are still paying him and I wouldn't hesitate to bring his ass back and get a new GM who is not going to listen to your whining"

:laugh:
I agree. He has been invisible hiding in his ivory tower. Lol

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
'Luckily' no, I never got bad enough for that, and with so many people who were worse off...

After six weeks when I was still having trouble with it I had to go for testing. They found the damage then. I haven't been able to breathe properly since and my energy level still has not recovered (this happened in November).
That sucks man hopefully things get more manageable for you sooner than later.

Reactions: The Apologist

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Honestly physicality isn't the issue with this team it's details and professionalism, which you hope a Foligno can help with.

I wish we were meaner and tougher, but that's not going to happen with this core, and it's fine. They shouldn't be this sloppy and this "easy" as often as they are.
I agree to a certain percent, but I do not think Foligno will help much in the mental regard. We have had many supposed leaders the last few years that we’re going to make a difference yet we see the same crap game after game.
A perfect example is Nylander. He comes out last night Guns a blazing and scores a nice goal. Then he proceeds to disappear for the rest of the game.
I’m sure in his mind his job is done.......he has a goal celebration and then floats instead of continuing working hard trying for the next one.
The Nylander apologists will say it’s not his fault because he scored but basically he had 1 good shot and shift.
It is not all his fault but this kind of thing is what is wrong with this current core.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
May be shanny needs to go into the locker room and threaten the players...

"get your shit together or Babcock is coming back. We are still paying him and I wouldn't hesitate to bring his ass back and get a new GM who is not going to listen to your whining"

:laugh:
Check standings, we've been in 1st place almost all season, we are still in 1st place with 11 games left. Too funny man, I can just hear Shanny "Dam you guys only in 1st by 3 points, get out. lol!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Check standings, we've been in 1st place almost all season, we are still in 1st place with 11 games left. Too funny man, I can just hear Shanny "Dam you guys only in 1st by 3 points, get out. lol!

Too simplistic and ignores the fact that we were fantastic at the beginning of the season but over the last 6 weeks or so, we've been mediocre.

I'm pretty sure Shanahan knows what's what and if you think he's happy with the way things stand as of right now, you are mistaken.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I agree to a certain percent, but I do not think Foligno will help much in the mental regard. We have had many supposed leaders the last few years that we’re going to make a difference yet we see the same crap game after game.
A perfect example is Nylander. He comes out last night Guns a blazing and scores a nice goal. Then he proceeds to disappear for the rest of the game.
I’m sure in his mind his job is done.......he has a goal celebration and then floats instead of continuing working hard trying for the next one.
The Nylander apologists will say it’s not his fault because he scored but basically he had 1 good shot and shift.
It is not all his fault but this kind of thing is what is wrong with this current core.
Nylander set guys up with nice passes in front of the net at least half a dozen times. Nylander played well

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Too simplistic and ignores the fact that we were fantastic at the beginning of the season but over the last 6 weeks or so, we've been mediocre.

I'm pretty sure Shanahan knows what's what and if you think he's happy with the way things stand as of right now, you are mistaken.
We are like 9-2-2 in our last 13 games. There are absolutely concerns but to say we have just been held up by a strong start is like entirely wrong.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Im just great with how things stand right now. 1st place and Mathews with the rocket to boot. even this year the season has plenty of games, there will be ups and downs. PP was never as great as it started out and its not as bad as it is now. Team play is similar. I'm not jumping ship screaming for heads when we are in a great position.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We are like 9-2-2 in our last 13 games. There are absolutely concerns but to say we have just been held up by a strong start is like entirely wrong.

What I said was that over the last 6 weeks or so, we've been mediocre.

I just added it up manually so if I've made errors feel free to correct me but out of our last 21 games, I have us winning 10 and losing 11.

Mediocre.

Im just great with how things stand right now. 1st place and Mathews with the rocket to boot. even this year the season has plenty of games, there will be ups and downs. PP was never as great as it started out and its not as bad as it is now. Team play is similar. I'm not jumping ship screaming for heads when we are in a great position.

I'm not screaming for heads. Keep going the way we have lately and there will be plenty of time for that later.

Yes, we have indeed been very streaky this season. Tied for 5th overall isn't bad but we're trending down and could be 10th a week from now. But that doesn't matter anyway does it? Heading into the playoffs, overall standings is less of an indicator of what to expect than how the team is trending. Still time to turn this around but we have huge problems in net, and on the PP. Ever hear the cliche that what wins in the playoffs is special teams and goaltending? It's a cliche for a reason.

How confident are you that we will have quality goaltending in the playoffs?

How confident are you that our PP will perform in the playoffs.

The PP can't be as bad as it is now but I'm worried about it all the same.

I also see no reason why our goaltending can't be as bad as it is now, and that's our biggest problem. In fact I'm struggling to see a reason that we should expect that to turn around. Perhaps you can point out something I'm missing?

The rocket is irrelevant.

You're great with how things are? Wow, I wish I could share your optimism.

Reactions: PromisedLand

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
See that the panic has set in again.
Problems with this team:
PREPARATION!!!GAMEPLAN!!!
* They have none. This is a coaching issue. The inmates are running the asylum. Country club.
Need a sabre rattling coach. A Barry Trotz.......a dare I say it, John Totorella.
Too much shiny, fancy no look passes. And I am done with 16.

Nobody liked the "hard nosed" approach. It's a much better atmosphere now that the players are allowed to have beards, and can play with who they want.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Watching the highlights and listening to the analysis doesn't make sense to me, they're talking about the great effort by the Canucks and listening to the analysts you'd think that Vancouver dominated. The fact is this was an ugly win for Vancouver they got outplayed and out shot 39-24. It's true that Vancouver has a good reason to be weaker, slower because they've been sick, but don't make it sound like they dominated the game when the difference was only the goaltending.

Reactions: Confucius

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I thought they would try not to embarrass a team coming off a virus that affects the lungs, was coming in shorthanded, and was not game ready. Instead they embarassed themselves by losing to said team. Kind of reminds me of the same team not trying to embarras Ayres.

Reactions: egd27

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What I said was that over the last 6 weeks or so, we've been mediocre.

I just added it up manually so if I've made errors feel free to correct me but out of our last 21 games, I have us winning 10 and losing 11.

Mediocre.

I'm not screaming for heads. Keep going the way we have lately and there will be plenty of time for that later.

Yes, we have indeed been very streaky this season. Tied for 5th overall isn't bad but we're trending down and could be 10th a week from now. But that doesn't matter anyway does it? Heading into the playoffs, overall standings is less of an indicator of what to expect than how the team is trending. Still time to turn this around but we have huge problems in net, and on the PP. Ever hear the cliche that what wins in the playoffs is special teams and goaltending? It's a cliche for a reason.

How confident are you that our PP will perform in the playoffs.

The PP can't be as bad as it is now but I'm worried about it all the same.

I also see no reason why our goaltending can't be as bad as it is now, and that's our biggest problem. In fact I'm struggling to see a reason that we should expect that to turn around. Perhaps you can point out something I'm missing?

The rocket is irrelevant.

You're great with how things are? Wow, I wish I could share your optimism.

There isn't a team in our division I'd trade rosters with. Yep, I'm good with this team as it stands.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There isn't a team in our division I'd trade rosters with. Yep, I'm good with this team as it stands.

It is a nice roster, we have some very good players.

How confident are you that our PP will perform well in the playoffs?

The bolded is the key. Our roster looked good compared to CLB last season too, I have be honest though and say that I'd rather win in the playoffs then have a pretty roster.

Reactions: PromisedLand
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad