Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1 vs Bruins | #FreeMorganRielly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I enjoyed the 2nd period, the 1st and 3rd not so much.

But that seems to be par for the course this year with the Leafs with only burst within a 60 minute game that bring enjoyment and true pleasing entertainment.

It's like a Déjà vu game after game of the same thing over and over. Outplayed, out shot and out chanced backed up by strong goaltending keeping the Leafs in games and opportunistic special teams play preventing losses.

Against a strong team like the Bruins its expected, but not against NJ, and Calgary etc etc as the leafs come across as the underdogs in almost every game they play and more fortunate to record wins then truly earning them on merit of play throughout the course of the game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

But that seems to be par for the course this year with the Leafs with only burst within a 60 minute game that bring enjoyment and true pleasing entertainment.

It's like a Déjà vu game after game of the same thing over and over. Outplayed, out shot and out chanced backed up by strong goaltending keeping the Leafs in games and opportunistic specail teams play preventing losses.

They're okay against teams in their own tier, have a hard time when they move up a weight class and face equal goaltending.

Corleone

Sep 25, 2006
Peterborough
I love how we play a competitive game against a team that used to destroy us every time, and somehow we're complaining. If this was 2 years ago, we would have lost 6-1 and people would be chanting for a tank.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

It's like a Déjà vu game after game of the same thing over and over. Outplayed, out shot and out chanced backed up by strong goaltending keeping the Leafs in games and opportunistic special teams play preventing losses.

Against a strong team like the Bruins its expected, but not against NJ, and Calgary etc etc.

Weird thing to say after a game in which we weren't outplayed, outshot, or outchanced, and in which the other team had to be opportunistic on the PP to eke out a win.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
We are a passionate fan base with different view points, which is much preferable to having a lackluster fan base or none at all. :)

Absolutely. It definitely makes for engaging conversations even though we all butt heads from time to time. Here's to hoping our next conversation comes on the heels of a Leafs win :).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They're okay against teams in their own tier, have a hard time when they move up a weight class and face equal goaltending.

The leafs have been dead even against the top10 teams this year, crushing the pens and ducks and wild, getting crushed by the hawks, and having tight losses to the bruins and avs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

The Leafs have a better PP, better PK, more goals scored, more point, and more wins so far. I get that last night it did not matter much, but to say that Boston is some God's gift to hockey is wrong. Again, Boston is being overrated.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Weird thing to say after a game in which we weren't outplayed, outshot, or outchanced, and in which the other team had to be opportunistic on the PP to eke out a win.

Without Reimer that game could have been long over after the first period as the team was completely dominated in almost ever aspect of the game.

Our goalies needing to be in the top 5 in SV% in order for Leafs to have any real chance of winning isn't a long term solution to a winning team.

Why can't the Leafs play games like they did the 2nd period and be the ones controlling the game and the outcome?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
why do people go "without our goaltender, we're screwed"

i mean that's like saying - "without Rask, the Bruins can't do anything."
"without Varlemov etc, Colorado's not as good as they are."

it all STEMS from goaltending. so if we don't have it and we suck - then we suck. having good goaltending isn't stopping us from putting the puck in the net etc. (well. unless your Bernier, than ... ;) ).

yes our team is very eb-and-flow right now, but we do at times control the play. and as Galley pointed out - the problem will start to stem when more shorts are being taken in the house - not from the outside, which generally we're good at.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Leafs have a better PP, better PK, more goals scored, more point, and more wins so far. I get that last night it did not matter much, but to say that Boston is some God's gift to hockey is wrong. Again, Boston is being overrated.

Boston is a top tier team.

SCF and Cup in last 3 years or is it 4? Time flies, but they are a step above the Leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Without Reimer that game could have been long over after the first period as the team was completely dominated in almost ever aspect of the game.

Our goalies needing to be in the top 5 in SV% in order for Leafs to have any real chance of winning isn't a long term solution to a winning team.

Why can't the Leafs play games like they did the 2nd period and be the ones controlling the game and the outcome?

Reimer was good, rask was better.

Goaltending wasn't an advantage for the leafs in this one.

And if you're waiting for the leafs to dominate all 60 minutes like they did that 2nd period, you're going to be waiting a long time, because that just doesn't happen in the nhl.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Funny how a game where the Leafs showed up for one period is "dead even" to some people. Last I checked 2:1 is pretty far from dead even. They dominated the first. We dominated the second. They completely shut us down in the third after an early goal.

They went 2-for-3 on the PP and 3-for-3 on the PK. There is no way to spin that as a positive by saying "they had to score on the PP." The Leafs had two great chances to tie it up with the man advantage in the third and did nothing.

They allowed one save-able goal. They held us to about 15 seconds worth of offensive pressure in the final 2-3 minutes of the game. They gave us no room around their net while their forwards hung around our crease and drove to the net through our players no problem.

That is not dead even, sorry.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

i mean that's like saying - "without Rask, the Bruins can't do anything."
"without Varlemov etc, Colorado's not as good as they are."

it all STEMS from goaltending. so if we don't have it and we suck - then we suck. having good goaltending isn't stopping us from putting the puck in the net etc. (well. unless your Bernier, than ... ;) ).

yes our team is very eb-and-flow right now, but we do at times control the play. and as Galley pointed out - the problem will start to stem when more shorts are being taken in the house - not from the outside, which generally we're good at.

Very well said Daisy. Why people insist on leaving out our goalies as aprt of our teams success, but including other teams goalies as part of theirs, I have no idea.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Very well said Daisy. Why people insist on leaving out our goalies as aprt of our teams success, but including other teams goalies as part of theirs, I have no idea.

because it doesn't fit into the narrative that we suck.
the end.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well James Reimer has a .942 Sv% and Bernier a .936 placing then #5 & #6 overall.

Do we thing this is sustainable over 82 games in order to keep the Leafs in the playoff hunt. When was the last time a Leaf goalie recorded a >.930 sv% on a season?

It really reflects a lot of shots against and a lot of saves being required on a regular basis or this team is in serious trouble. So there is an underlying fear that sooner rather than later when things start to even out goaltending wise the wins will be harder to come by.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Anyone who watched that game and did not feel we played them heads up is not watching the game.....they are listening to the commentators far to much.

Dion was the best player on the ice last night and that includes both goalies. Ranger was horrible. Kadri, Kessel and Lupul were very good, and should have played together.

The one thing that bothered me was the first goal, Kulemin is not very bright at all.....switch sides with the other forward and then get to the bench for a stick or a change....shows his limited hockey IQ.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Missed the game. Look at the box score , and the shots were pretty much even. Did we really get that outplayed, or is it just a classic post-game leafs lost thread ? ( I'll know based off the poster giving the answer ).

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
I love how we play a competitive game against a team that used to destroy us every time, and somehow we're complaining. If this was 2 years ago, we would have lost 6-1 and people would be chanting for a tank.

The only difference for us is goaltending. We use to play average or bad, with average or bad goaltending, losing by a few goals. Now, we lose by 1 or 2 because of Reimer and Bernier.

We have been playing average up front. Not everybody, but many of them.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Missed the game. Look at the box score , and the shots were pretty much even. Did we really get that outplayed, or is it just a classic post-game leafs lost thread ? ( I'll know based off the poster giving the answer ).

It went like this:

First period we got demolished and good goaltending kept the damage to 1 goal. This included a sequence of about 3 minutes in our own zone without even touching the puck during which Kulemin was on for nearly 2 minutes without a stick. Because he would neither pick up the stick on the ice that wasnt even broken, nor would he just get off the ice or switch sides to get near the bench.

Second period the Bruins got demolished, including a similar sequence for the Leafs in their zone minus the player with no stick. It was like the two teams switched jerseys or something, it was bizarre.

Third period the Bruins scored the go ahead goal about a minute in and from there just shut the Leafs down hard for the rest of the period.

Second period was probably the best period the Leafs have played this year. THe first was arguably the worst.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

the first period - it was all bruins.
the second period - it was all us
the third period, was somewhat split. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad