Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1 vs Bruins | #FreeMorganRielly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Very well said Daisy. Why people insist on leaving out our goalies as aprt of our teams success, but including other teams goalies as part of theirs, I have no idea.

That's because it is true. I'm pretty sure during the NJ game, the commentator was saying how teams that end up having -10 SA/SOG end up being last place. It only happened three times in history I believe. The difference is that the teams Daisy listed actually generate MUCH more SOG then the leafs does. If the trend continues I don't think Leafs will be in the top for much longer.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Missed the game. Look at the box score , and the shots were pretty much even. Did we really get that outplayed, or is it just a classic post-game leafs lost thread ? ( I'll know based off the poster giving the answer ).

Well the 3 stars of the game were Chara, Rask and Iginla and Bergeron scored the winning and insurance goals without even earning a game star for his efforts.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484490

When the game stars all come from the same team in a close game score, its doesn't feel like an evenly played game. ;)

At one point in the 1st period the Bruins made 30 consecutive passes in the Leafs zone without a Leaf touching the puck and used up over 2 minutes of the clock pinning the Leafs in their own zone the entire time across multiple line changes for the Bruins. Most teams PP with an extra man are not that effective. Mark Fraser lead all Leaf Dmen in TOI/g after the 1st period.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well the 3 stars of the game were Chara, Rask and Iginla and Bergeron scored the winning and insurance goals without even earning a game star for his efforts.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484490

When the game stars all come from the same team in a close game score, its doesn't feel like an evenly played game. ;)

At one point in the 1st period the Bruins made 30 consecutive passes in the Leafs zone without a Leaf touching the puck and used up over 2 minutes of the clock pinning the Leafs in their own zone the entire time across multiple line changes for the Bruins. Most teams PP with an extra man are not that effective. Mark Fraser lead all Leaf Dmen in TOI/g after the 1st period.

Chara played 28 mins last night, he is the best D man in the NHL. The Norris trophy is a popularity contest, picked by writers that like flashy stats ie. Subban and Karlsson.

No D man impacts a game on both sides of the puck, or physically than Chara. Boston would be nowhere the same team without him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Tough to blame Dion for being gassed on that empty netter. Guy plays almost half the game every night with little to no support from the rest of the defense.

Refs weren't that bad. I'm just disappointed our team kept taking those borderline hits and whatnot without giving it back. That's why the Bruins were the better team. We started playing physical in the second and they came out and gave it right back to us ten times worse in the third.

On the upside, that second period was probably the best we've seen all season.

Bruins are pretty good at mucking it up and grinding it out. That's where they show a clear advantage.

Better than the "epic collaspe". Notice how many times that was said lately.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Chara played 28 mins last night, he is the best D man in the NHL. The Norris trophy is a popularity contest, picked by writers that like flashy stats ie. Subban and Karlsson.

No D man impacts a game on both sides of the puck, or physically than Chara. Boston would be nowhere the same team without him.

Phaneuf I thought had a excellent game in defense yesterday, perhaps his best game of the season in that regard.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Missed the game. Look at the box score , and the shots were pretty much even. Did we really get that outplayed, or is it just a classic post-game leafs lost thread ? ( I'll know based off the poster giving the answer ).

First period was horrible. Complete domination by the Bruins. At one point they practically had a PP because Kulemin played over 2 minutes without a stick because he gave his to Ranger who had dropped his. Apparently, Ranger's stick wasn't even broken so not sure why he didn't just pick it up himself or let Kuli know that his stick is playable. Reimer kept us in the first period and we were lucky to be down by only 1 goal.

Second period was complete role reversal. Complete domination by the Leafs. Leafs got their own 2+ minute shift in the Bruins zone except that the Bruins all had their sticks in their hands on that shift. Ironically enough, with all the pressure the Leafs had in the second, they tied the game that period on a somewhat weak goal against for Rask. Otherwise, he came up huge for his team and Bruins were lucky that they were going into the dressing room tied and not trailing after that period. JVR also got a double minor at the end of the period which turned the tide a bit for the Bruins in the last 1.5 minutes.

Third period was more in favour of the Bruins but not dominated. It was back and forth action. Bruins scored early with their PP advantage. Traded chances but as the clock winded down, Bruins shut it down and limited zone entry so Leafs had very little time to get Reimer out of the net and go for the extra attacker.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Brett Lebda was fast, had decent skills, looked good in spots too. He never amounted to anything. That's the extreme example.

Yeah, I get the Blake comparison. Looks great, creates chances, but gets a fraction of results. I don't know what Nonis is going to do with Jake. You hold onto to him and his value declines.

I think this is already happening this season. Time to deal him was this summer after the playoffs, that's starting to look like a one off. 3 points for an offensive defenceman with PP time is terrible production.

If we needed a defensive defencman, we have some coming up in Macwilliam, Percy and Granberg in the minors.

He's expendable to me, the more I see of him.

Yea last year you said Gardiner wasn't NHL ready but that Colborne was ready to be a top-6 center so I'm not sure your opinion is unbiased or stable. But clearly Carlyle disagrees considering the ES time he's been throwing at Gardiner.

The entire team has had trouble generating goals from defense. Only 3 goals have some from defenders this year. 2 from Phanuef and 1 from Ranger into an empty net. Throwing that fault unto Gardiner alone is asinine.

Unlike guys like Ranger, Fraser and even Gunnarsson, Gardiner has been creating offensive zone time for the Leafs - something extremely precious to this team this year.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Rielly would have made a massive difference, especially in the first period, when mark fraser got hemmed in his own zone for 3 minutes because he doesn't know how to skate.

Don't really get why some of our fanbase has unrealistic expectations of certain players and their role. Again, the obvious weak link on our defense is not Mark Fraser who's been injured for weeks and had to deal with the Bruins his first game back. He cannot be blamed for the entire team being hemmed in their own zone...hopefully our fanbase will start to understand the game, and certain players in our line up and what their roles are.

The obvious weak link is Paul Ranger who is simply not an NHL calibre d-man. Will he ever be? I don't think so, maybe some of you want to overrate him but I would say he's weaker than Kostka, Finger, Exelby--and Fingerby had Toskalol in nets, meaning, they would be doing a better job with a Reimer than whatever Ranger is doing right now. We are going backwards employing him. The best example of how to sum him up in a nutshell is the second goal boston scored. His hockey IQ had him check a bruin ontop of Reims, hold the bruin player and reims down allowing boston to shoot at an empty net.

I don't know what else could be said other than Ranger either needs to be sent to the Marlies or perhaps the KHL might be a better fit for him. This player makes players around him worse, and is responsible for some of the most disappointing goals scored against us. Plain and simple he needs to go.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Don't really get why some of our fanbase has unrealistic expectations of certain players and their role.

NO kidding, you've got people on here who want to throw Reilly out on the first pairing. Probably the same people who think Gunnarsson is terrible.

The obvious weak link is Paul Ranger who is simply not an NHL calibre d-man. Will he ever be? I don't think so, maybe some of you want to overrate him but I would say he's weaker than Kostka, Finger, Exelby--and Fingerby had Toskalol in nets, meaning, they would be doing a better job with a Reimer than whatever Ranger is doing right now. We are going backwards employing him. The best example of how to sum him up in a nutshell is the second goal boston scored. His hockey IQ had him check a bruin ontop of Reims, hold the bruin player and reims down allowing boston to shoot at an empty net.

That's not even close to what happened. Ranger is no worse defensively than Franson or Gardiner, really. Outside our top pairing we really have nobody reliable at all.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yea last year you said Gardiner wasn't NHL ready but that Colborne was ready to be a top-6 center so I'm not sure your opinion is unbiased or stable. But clearly Carlyle disagrees considering the ES time he's been throwing at Gardiner.

The entire team has had trouble generating goals from defense. Only 3 goals have some from defenders this year. 2 from Phanuef and 1 from Ranger into an empty net. Throwing that fault unto Gardiner alone is asinine.

Unlike guys like Ranger, Fraser and even Gunnarsson, Gardiner has been creating offensive zone time for the Leafs - something extremely precious to this team this year.

Actually I have to correct you, I said Kadri was ready to be a top 6C last summer, not Colborne. I said Colborne could be a good option as a #3C for us. Given what has happened this year with injuries, and his recent play, don't think I am wrong on either account.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
We have a lot of defense capable of helping of offensively. We need a real shut down guy. A guy like Ference would have been a perfect fit.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Even if we lose to the Wild on wednesday we still got Buffalo back to back who are AWFUL this season, after this stretch and getting Bozak back, I think were gonna be back in decent shape, we can start rolling 2 legitimate dangerous lines again (Kadri seems to be way better as 2C, and we can get JVR the hell off of center), and Raymond-Mcclement-Kulemin is still a formidable checking line...

We fought neck and neck with the bruins while being paper thin on center and only lost by 1 goal. This team is fine.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even if we lose to the Wild on wednesday we still got Buffalo back to back who are AWFUL this season, after this stretch and getting Bozak back, I think were gonna be back in decent shape, we can start rolling 2 legitimate dangerous lines again (Kadri seems to be way better as 2C, and we can get JVR the hell off of center), and Raymond-Mcclement-Kulemin is still a formidable checking line...

We fought neck and neck with the bruins while being paper thin on center and only lost by 1 goal. This team is fine.

i won't hold my breath re: bozak. he's not even cycling yet.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa

Can you imagine the chaos here if we lose both those games. :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i won't hold my breath re: bozak. he's not even cycling yet.

That's a good indication he has a pretty serious injury, a tear as opposed to a pull.

Bozak will be out of shape when he gets back, and he won't have the same strength to skate.

Unbelievable what our luck is with Bolland out too. Both pretty severe injuries.

I think Kadri has just learned what tough minutes are with these 2 out.

The guy I feel most for is JVR, tough job going against Chara last night. Like I said earlier today, playing with Kessel is not always a blessing as some think it is.

Freeloading, not from where I sit.

SteveV*

Gardiner isn't getting points, but he had 7 shots last night, created fits for Boston all night, controlled play. It's funny because Gards has played very well in our end for weeks, his supposed handicap and now guys are going on about offence. IQ is right, what Jake is honing right now, when the points come, look out.

As an aside, isn't it funny that a supposed soft D man tends to THRIVE against the big bad Bruins. :amazed:

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Jake's the least of our problems. last 3 games, 2 goals scored. Goals scored from the bottom 6 and Clarkson: 0. Can't win too many games when only 5 or 6 guys are actually scoring (Lupul, Kessel, JVR, Kadri, and Raymond). And Kessel, Kadri, and Raymond have gone MIA.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Yeah, Gardiner-Franson are looking solid together, they looked strong against both New Jersey and Boston. I hope Carlyle keeps that pairing together from now on.

The offense is where we're struggling bad, we need our guys to wake up. They showed some serious life in yesterday's 2nd period, but that effort has to be more often than not. Can't be lifeless every game and depend on Kessel to do all the heavy lifting.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

I just can't get behind this logic, yes Buffalo has been awful this season but any team can beat anyone on any given night and besides Buffalo has given us fits over the years (espically in Buffalo), I would not say these will be easy games far from it actually.

The team is fine? Um no, don't let this 11-6 record fool you we've been getting by on elite goaltending and special teams (even that is trailing off as of late), here horribad defensively, decimated down the middle and this is only not even 1/4 of the way in, if the Leafs don't smarten up ASAP they will find themselves outside of the playoffs again.

Mr Scarface*

Looking for answers and links? Who won the Frazer McLaren fight against boston? Who won the Clarkson vs Iginla fight?

Links for these fights are where? Spend some quality time so didn't see the game itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad