Recalled/Assigned: Leafs Loan Rasmus Sandin to Marlies | Re-Call Kevin Gravel

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I didn't say that most teams did that. I said most good teams. Just as earlier I didn't say all prospects as you claimed, but top prospects.

Yes, it common practice for teams to bring up prospects for short stints to see if they are ready, but it is exactly that which the Leafs' claimed they were getting away from in favour of keeping top prospects down until they know they are ready. It was exactly this reason why they brought in a lot of depth so they wouldn't have to use their developing prospects to cover for injuries or fill in holes at the bottom of the roster.

It's laughable that people think that this stint has provided anything of value.

An injury to a D or two occurs.
Who can bring up?
Well Sandin has some experience in the NHL.
Great. How was he on the PP?
He is good at it in the AHL.
NHL?
Don't know.
How was he on the PK?
NHL?
Don't know.
How was he if he needs to play more minutes?
NHL?
Don't know.
How was he defending a lead?
NHL?
Don't know.
How was he when the game is tied?
NHL?
Don't know.

It's only laughable that you think you know what the result is of keeping him up with the big club as it just happened hours ago. Maybe wait and watch what Sandin does before making snap judgements and overreacting.

You have yet to provide any quote from anyone stating they wouldn't call up prospects?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yeah,Sandin hadn't touched the puck yet,the head was targeted and no call was made. Also,no retaliation or response from any Leaf. Only the coach yelling at the Refs.

I am far from the "bring back oldtime hockey!" type but the fact that not a single retaliation was made by any of our players after our 19 year old got head hunter by a POS like Abdelkader made really shake my head.

For f***s sake, bring in some sandpaper. I am sick of this shit.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I am far from the "bring back oldtime hockey!" type but the fact that not a single retaliation was made by any of our players after our 19 year old got head hunter by a POS like Abdelkader made really shake my head.

For ****s sake, bring in some sandpaper. I am sick of this ****.
Yes,I too have been accused of not wanting to 'evolve' the game because I like to see my personal code -of -honor implemented in such situations. Letting the Refs 'do their job' and handing out discipline after a Matthews or a Marner is injured long term or permanently is small consolation. Not to mention embarrassing ...at least to me as a fan. I can't believe the players accept that type of liberty being taken and gotten away with! Oh well...nice game boys ...line-up over here for your participation ribbons!

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I may be in the minority but I think Holl has been a little surprising.

Gravels style of play is much needed. for the 8 to 12 minutes they get,it might not be so bad!

I feel the problem is gonna be zone exits. Perhaps Gravel - Holl can make a good pairing, but I feel they might struggle in that area still. Hopefully I'm wrong, I am often :laugh:

Reactions: Leafsman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I feel the problem is gonna be zone exits. Perhaps Gravel - Holl can make a good pairing, but I feel they might struggle in that area still. Hopefully I'm wrong, I am often :laugh:

For the amount they play, it'll be ok. All that is required is stability for 3rd pairing. The less mistakes the better. Sandin was making little mistakes that were leading to problems and he is still undersized. The Marlies was the right call at this point.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Gravels style of play is much needed. for the 8 to 12 minutes they get,it might not be so bad!
I agree. For the minimal minutes our 3rd pairing is seeing this year, might be worthwhile having Gravel back there. Even when Dermott is back I don't see the 3rd pairing of Dermott-Holl or Gravel-Dermott getting big minutes. The coaching staff will sprinkle Dermott in with the top 4 and the #6 guy (Holl or Gravel) will see 9-13 mins a night and PK duties. For the limited role, might be nice to add sandpaper

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I may be in the minority but I think Holl has been a little surprising.
I think he needs to get comfortable and become familiar with the competition night in and night out. Some guys need time. With Travis out he maybe gets a chance to impress!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I agree. For the minimal minutes our 3rd pairing is seeing this year, might be worthwhile having Gravel back there. Even when Dermott is back I don't see the 3rd pairing of Dermott-Holl or Gravel-Dermott getting big minutes. The coaching staff will sprinkle Dermott in with the top 4 and the #6 guy (Holl or Gravel) will see 9-13 mins a night and PK duties. For the limited role, might be nice to add sandpaper
I think the expectations of solidifying the Leafs D situation really are high when Dermott returns. I hope he comes back healthy and ready.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I think he needs to get comfortable and become familiar with the competition night in and night out. Some guys need time. With Travis out he maybe gets a chance to impress!
I'd love to see some stability on the 3rd pair instead of this revolving door strategy. Stick with Holl and Gravel and see if they can develop into a decent pairing. The Marancin experiment was over a long time ago, time to pull the plug on this guy.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I'd love to see some stability on the 3rd pair instead of this revolving door strategy. Stick with Holl and Gravel and see if they can develop into a decent pairing. The Marancin experiment was over a long time ago, time to pull the plug on this guy.
Babs seemed to like something about Marincin early in camp...said as much ! I didn't get it then (I don't think he played that bad in camp though) and I don't get it now!

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Unprotected players need nhl time to qualify for the Seattle expansion draft.Maybe the Leafs are giving Marincin &Holl ice time now to qualify for that ?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

This quote from Babs pretty much sums up the whole issue with Sandin this season. He was good enough to make the team but Babs views him not as a player he is coaching but as a child he needs to protect. Every player in the NHL gets hit like that, and it is no different in the AHL. Plenty of NHL players are smaller and weaker than Sandin. Doesn't matter. This quote also pretty much confirms that Sandin won't be back this season no matter what those in denial try to tell themselves. Maybe if Matt Martin was still on the team, as that is what Martin was really with the Leafs in 2016/17 for - to make Babs feel comfortable enough to let young players play.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The NHL provides a higher level (much higher) of competition. The 12 min. or so of that is more valuable than the also-ran competition of the AHL. It isn't like he needs to learn how to play or build his confidence. He needs to experience the real deal.

All evidence of current top-4 D in the NHL shows you are wrong. You are free to continue to be wrong, but your opinion doesn't trump evidence.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I only saw Gravel play in one exhibition game but I thought he was the Leafs best d-man on the ice. Then he was sent down. I don't get it. Glad to see him up with the big club.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Unprotected players need nhl time to qualify for the Seattle expansion draft.Maybe the Leafs are giving Marincin &Holl ice time now to qualify for that ?
Now that is a good notion. I think all teams brass are aware of (or should be) that situation!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad