Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Fans wanting to see Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen is like someone posting their lineup and you see Hyman - Kadri - Brown on one line; do people want Kadri to score 15 goals? No? So, why would anybody suggest such thing
This isn't even the line I want, but the season before last season Komarov-Kadri-Brown had Kadri score 30 goals, which is easily the same line configuration as Hyman-Kadri-Brown.
I see Marleau in a third line a lot. He is too good for that. Hyman doesn't have me sold as a first liner.
Babcock hates this but I like Marleau, Matthews, Marner on the first
He scored 40 points this season, on a line half the season with Marner when he was going on like a 90 point PPG tear. This isn't Marleau of 5 years ago.
About 99% of you have already forgot about Ozhiganov?
No we haven't, he's going to the AHL, and he'll be happy for it considering how Rosen's turned out with a season of AHL development.

Reactions: stickty111

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
My lineup:

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Marincin-Zaitsev
Call up LD: Rosen
Call up RD: Holl, Lilly maybe in 2nd half

Andersen-Sparks

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Alzner - New Defense
Gardiner - New Defense
Tanev - Zaitsev

Nilsson
Sparky

This is my lucky number.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
My lineup:

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Marincin-Zaitsev

Andersen-Sparks
I like it.
The chances of Babcock doing it is 2% though.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
My lineup:

Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Marincin-Zaitsev

Andersen-Sparks
While the first line has a lot of skill, they need someone to fight for pucks and play along the boards, And Hyman, Brown, Kapanen and Marleau all do that better than Johnsson

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
C - Guentzel Kadri Kapanen, Aaltonen
LW - Hyman, Marner, Johnsson Osala
RW - 1, 2 and Grundström, Brown

D - Letang Boedker Alzner Gardiner Tanev Zaitsev Dermott Hainsey
GK - Sparky, Nilsson

Who in trade carusulles in world class defensive 1 stars to the team ???????

Its also few class in 1-2 lines. Perhaps ones draft select then one trade.

Brown is a 4th line player a checkingline stylos.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Sign John Tavares 7 years x 9.15 million aav (14,10,10,8,8,7,7)

Connor Brown, 3rd for Boone Jenner

Leafs 1st, Josh Leivo, Calle Rosen for Chris Tanev

Jenner - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Grundstrom

Rielly - - - - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

FredEx
McBackup

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Sign John Tavares 7 years x 9.15 million aav (14,10,10,8,8,7,7)

Connor Brown, 3rd for Boone Jenner

Leafs 1st, Josh Leivo, Calle Rosen/Connor Carrick for Chris Tanev

Jenner - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Grundstrom
Martin, Gauthier, Depth FA Signing

Rielly - - - - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman, Liljigren

FredEx
McBackup

This Team Could go DEEP

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
While the first line has a lot of skill, they need someone to fight for pucks and play along the boards, And Hyman, Brown, Kapanen and Marleau all do that better than Johnsson
Wrong on Brown & Marleau, Johnsson's better, and considering Johnsson>Marleau and Matthews>Kadri below the goal line, it'd be amazing linemates for Marner.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Disapointing to rule in nhl next time so I will change best select.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Assuming no trades or signings:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner/Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Brown/Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Leivo/whoever

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rosen - Hainsey
Carrick

What I would like to see:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Brown

Rielly - FA/Trade
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Rosen

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

LeafsFan18

Go Leafs Go
Aug 18, 2009
Windsor
Sign Tavares, Trade for Severson & Petrovic. Promote Matthews to Captain.

Marleau Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Nylander
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Marlie Marlie Brown
Martin Levio

Rielly Severson
Dermott Petrovic
Hainsey Zaitsev
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
In his first season as centre, thats fine.
Kadri had 50 points his first season and is a 60 point centre. Nylander also has more talent then Kadri.
Nylander has back to back 60 points seasons. No way will it be fine if he declines to 50.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I think everyone here would LOVE to see
Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom/Engvall - Lindholm/Aaltonen - T.Moore*

Wildcard is the 4th line, no way he puts a bunch of rookies on that line. I wouldn't mind keeping Martin in on the 4th line, because I'd rather play those top-3 lines a ****-ton anyways.

Martin - Lindholm - Engvall*/T.Moore* (Big, physical, energetic 4th line that can play. A 'slightly' worse version of Nashville's Watson - Gaudreau - Sissons)
no not everyone

Nylander has done nothing to prove to me he is an NHL centre, Kapanen is at best a 3rd line winger at the NHL level but is best suited to playing the 4th, yes lot's o speed and he has the will to get his nose dirty, but his hands aren't 2nd line quality

why is Johnsson on the first line? the left winger that plays with Matty is the guy who goes and gets pucks, because I for one, certainly don't want Matty doing it or wasting Magic's assets as a mucker and grinder...we know Johnsson has speed and can score, but if you've been watching the AHL playoffs, you should have come to the realization by now that physicality isn't his strong suit.

and why are people penciling in Lindholm?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If Nylander gets 50 points while learning more of the defensive game and learning about center duties in the NHL, you call that a win.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
j7nghnd.png

I've sometimes defended Zach Hyman on here and I still think he does some things really well. But this is inexcusable for a top 6 player. Hyman can't make a meaningful pass if his life depended on it.

most of the time Hyman is making those passes with a big ugly and determined NHL Dman hanging all over him, who just may be a little angry that Zach just took the puck off of him

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
no not everyone

Nylander has done nothing to prove to me he is an NHL centre, Kapanen is at best a 3rd line winger at the NHL level but is best suited to playing the 4th, yes lot's o speed and he has the will to get his nose dirty, but his hands aren't 2nd line quality

why is Johnsson on the first line? the left winger that plays with Matty is the guy who goes and gets pucks, because I for one, certainly don't want Matty doing it or wasting Magic's assets as a mucker and grinder...we know Johnsson has speed and can score, but if you've been watching the AHL playoffs, you should have come to the realization by now that physicality isn't his strong suit.

and why are people penciling in Lindholm?

1. What does he have to prove to you to be a center? You do realize he's great in possession, takeaways, faceoffs, etc? He's excelled at C his whole life, but we should judge him being C based on the few games he played in the 17-18 yr as ?

2. If you've watched Kappy more than last year, then you'd know he has great hands. His finishing last year was subpar though I admit (but his low sh% has to return to the mean, so expect more points).

3. Matthews and Marner are high-end puck-retrievers believe it or not. You don't need to be physical to retrieve pucks. Johnsson is great defensively and has puck skills. Would I want a more physical bigger Johnsson? Yes, but we don't have one. I love Hyman but he can't play in the offensive zone with our two top players, that's just a liability and one of the reasons why the Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line was ineffective agsinst boston (Matthews Nylander were smothered, while Hyman was open a lot).

4. I didn't pencil him in? I put Aaltonen and him fighting for the 4C spot. Lindholm is more suited for the role though, being that he's better defensively, better on faceoffs, physical and has some hands. I would much prefer if Aaltonen played on the wing for us. I know Babcock loves Cs that play wing, and Aaltonen has done it before.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
most of the time Hyman is making those passes with a big ugly and determined NHL Dman hanging all over him, who just may be a little angry that Zach just took the puck off of him

So what's the point of retrieving the puck then if you're going to make bad passes? You can't leave the offense to just Matthews/xxx, it has to be all 3 forwards who have puck skills on the top line.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If Nylander gets 50 points while learning more of the defensive game and learning about center duties in the NHL, you call that a win.

Especially since Nylander's floor is about equivalent to Bozak's ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad