Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I mean it's simple f***ing math.

# of games played from an 8% chance/8% games played = expectation of 7 GP

# of games played from a 66.6% chance/66.6% games played = 55 GP expected

Let's even say you're considering the 2 years on Tanev's contract to the 6 years (Age 21-27 seasons) we might get out of the lottery pick. That's still 110 > 42 GP of top 4 dman games played

And then the fact that we're on the edge of contention instead of wanting to wait 3 years to have a 8% chance of developing a top 4 dman, it's an easy choice

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Kapanen and Johnsson should be close to locks to make the team this coming season. I think you also give Grundstrom a full season to dominate the AHL. I also have a hard time seeing 3 youngster transition to the Leafs. He may get a callup later like Kapanen has been

Hyman Matthews Marner
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
Marleau Kadri FA/Trade
FA/Trade Aaltonen Brown

Rielly FA/Trade
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Hyman - Brown
Grundström - Lindholm - Kapanen/Leivo

Reilly - Gardiner
Dermott - Zaitsev
Holl - Borgman

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Hyman - Brown
Grundström - Lindholm - Kapanen/Leivo

Reilly - Gardiner
Dermott - Zaitsev
Holl - Borgman
i dont know if we make the playoffs with that lineup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Joh Mat Kap
Hy Kad Marn
Marl Ny Bro
Leiv/Mart Aalt/Goat ________
________
________

Ri Hai
Gar Z
Der Car

Not ideal but pretty balanced forwards. On D I have nothing else to work with yet. Need to see at camp.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think we should consider Johnsson - Matthews - Grundstrom. Instead of Aaltonen, you'd have a franchise center who can really drive those two wingers. Johnsson as a high skill, two-way center and Carl as a skilled forward who can play a heavy game like Matthews but with more grit.

Keep the dominant Marleau - Kadri - Marner line intact and build a third line with Nylander as a center.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yup, it’s the third line under construction. With a short and long-term view, here are some of what I think are priorities:
Decrease free asset loss. Looking at the roster composition, the team will have to start filtering in ELC’s and jettisoning mid-range contracts probably in two years or so. Keeping assets coming and protecting existing ones is paramount. For this off-season, to me that means find futures for Jake Gardiner: maybe Severson and a couple picks? It also means keeping Grundstrom and Lily off the team to develop.
Maximize player value: this is what I see as the second most important reason for going after JT. The top two lines as they stand are entirely competitive with almost every team in the league. JT will get good players to play with and most likely help to maximize their talents. Leivo and Brown on his wings seems like perfect fits to me. Maximize value and abilities of both, and the team is best positioned to continue to move secondary players for maximum value when the time comes. Right now, Josh is an extra who brings maybe a 4th in return....a 20/20 year as a third liner will change that.
Overripen talent. The team seems to be doing a great job with this, using the A (and other leagues) to their full potential. Use the fourth line the same way. Use these features to breed talented two-way talent.
Four lines. This one ties in with the other two, and might be a bit contrary to some views, but, this team’s fourth line could be s perfect development ground and profound advantage. I want to see AJ and Kappy there, with Aaltonen and Lindholm. Play roles, outspeed and out-talent other teams. Potentially keep future costs down abit, and have lineup replacements at the ready.
So, lines 1 and 2:
Hyman/Matthews/Nylander
Marleau/Kadri/Marner
Line 4:
Johnsson/Lindholm/Kapanen, Aaltonen cycled in.
Line 3 (optimal)
Leivo/Tavares/Brown
If no Tavares....
Kovalchuk/Nylander/Johnsson (move up the RW’s) and Aaltonen moves into regular PT.
If no Tavares or Kovalchuk....
Leivo/Bozak/Brown, with an eye to finding maybe a grittier LW who wont break the bank on term.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Marleau Matthews marner
Leivo kadri kapanen
Hyman nylander johnsson
Martin Lindholm/aaltonen/goat brown

Reilly hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott ozinighanov

Andersen
Sparks

We are in pretty decent shape even without making any moves.

Not opposed to going after Tavares or Carlson in free agency.. or even Thornton or bozack. As long as it doesn’t mean cap trouble for us... I want to keep all our young stars for as long as we can.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Mason Marchment makes the 2018-19 Leafs in training camp as the 4th line LW.

Marchment has serious issues with mobility and strength. He's lanky but has yet to fill out.

I can't see him making the NHL anytime soon and I've watched him all season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Hyman
Kapanen-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Lindholm-Leivo

1st line: Dominant line, one of the best in the league.
2nd line: Nylander has Marleau to help out with the center adjustment, and Hyman to fetch pucks. He will absolutely thrive at center, count on it.
3rd line: Kadri's never needed top-end wingers to do his thing. 2 speedy forechecking wingers are picture-perfect for him.
4th line: it's a 4th line.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Brown

Martin - Lindholm - Leivo​

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Dubas has his work cut out for him. When is Nylander going to be signed? That's the first major issue. Where is he going to play, that's the 2nd. Because that changes what you need to look at in terms of depth and holes.

At present: (AHL/SweHL/KHL basically denotes rookie status. The player has yet to play an 82 game season for the Toronto Maple Leafs). Might as well throw Leivo in the just hanging around for 2 years category.

Hyman...Matthews...Marner
Marleau...Kadri...Brown
Leivo(?)...Lindholm(SweHL)...Kapanen(AHL)
Martin...Gauthier(AHL)...Bracco(AHL)
Aaltonen(AHL)

RFAs: Nylander,Johnsson(AHL)
IR: Horton

Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev
Dermott(AHL)...RD
Borgman(AHL),Rosen(AHL),Oz(KHL)

RFAs: Carrick

Andersen
CMcE
Sparks(AHL)

That's how we look today.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dubas has his work cut out for him. When is Nylander going to be signed? That's the first major issue. Where is he going to play, that's the 2nd. Because that changes what you need to look at in terms of depth and holes.

At present: (AHL/SweHL/KHL basically denotes rookie status. The player has yet to play an 82 game season for the Toronto Maple Leafs). Might as well throw Leivo in the just hanging around for 2 years category.

Marleau...Kadri...Brown
Aaltonen(AHL)

Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev
Dermott(AHL)...RD

Andersen
CMcE
Sparks(AHL)

Do you see Bracco, who watched the AHL playoffs while overseas rookies played every game, even getting a sniff?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Do you see Bracco, who watched the AHL playoffs while overseas rookies played every game, even getting a sniff?
No ULF it's just to demonstrate the depth chart moving forward. Grundstrom might be the player moving forward he's just listed as a LW. Bracco will be in the AHL. Leivo would jump to his RW long before that happened or UFA. It also shows in the case of injury where we stand at available call ups.
Bracco,Timo,etc. Admit it or not but losing JVR/Bozak/Komarov hurts the depth when we are using the depth now behind them.

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marleau...Kadri...Brown
Aaltonen(AHL)

Rielly...Hainsey
Gardiner...Zaitsev
Dermott(AHL)...RD

Andersen
CMcE
Sparks(AHL)

It comes down to what positions we can fill on July 1st (or at the draft if Dubbie can pull off a trade). Acquire an NHL ready C and Nylander can stay on the wing. Can't sign/acquire an NHL ready C, and open the season with Nylander at C. It is why I would rather wait until first week of July rather than speculate what our lines will look like now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No ULF it's just to demonstrate the depth chart moving forward. Grundstrom might be the player moving forward he's just listed as a LW. Bracco will be in the AHL. Leivo would jump to his RW long before that happened or UFA. It also shows in the case of injury where we stand at available call ups.
Bracco,Timo,etc. Admit it or not but losing JVR/Bozak/Komarov hurts the depth when we are using the depth now behind them.

I really think Bozak will be the bigger loss.

van Riemsdyk's goals will be missed, but he left so much on the table but it just isn't in his nature.

I think at this point Komarov is easily replaced.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Bracco was an AHL rookie, and while very good, has another couple years to get his time in and is behind 3-4 players who have senority and play similar games and are also likely trade bait, so were played heavily because they aren't likely future Leafs like Bracco more likely is. Engvall needed the playing time to allow management to decide if he was worth an ELC, which they had very limited time to decide on. Grundstrom was there to audition for a NHL position next year. Context is important. I agree, Bracco will be made to wait.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bracco was an AHL rookie, and while very good, has another couple years to get his time in and is behind 3-4 players who have senority and play similar games and are also likely trade bait, so were played heavily because they aren't likely future Leafs like Bracco more likely is. Engvall needed the playing time to allow management to decide if he was worth an ELC, which they had very limited time to decide on. Grundstrom was there to audition for a NHL position next year. Context is important. I agree, Bracco will be made to wait.
He doesnt like Bracco so there is no point arguing with him.
Once he dislikes a player, he will never like him.
Nazem Kadri is the perfect example.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yes. He had a solid rookie season but Marlies had a full lineup. It doesnt matter what your made up rankings of being 100th or 200th in all forwards says, Bracco really impressed.
He has also won at every level he has played in. Its not a Peter Granberg situation(carried by Percy) situation who racked up plus minuses from being on a good team.
You dont like Bracco, thats fine but it doesnt hide reality. If this developments keeps going, Bracco is making the Leafs in 2 years, and not just getting a sniff.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes. He had a solid rookie season but Marlies had a full lineup. It doesnt matter what your made up rankings of being 100th or 200th in all forwards says, Bracco really impressed.
He has also won at every level he has played in. Its not a Peter Granberg situation(carried by Percy) situation who racked up plus minuses from being on a good team.
You dont like Bracco, thats fine but it doesnt hide reality. If this developments keeps going, Bracco is making the Leafs in 2 years, and not just getting a sniff.

Maybe he's Matt Finn.

Really, we all know who played and who didn't.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown

Drooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad