Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Bozak does not avoid checks to make a play and Nylander does. I also can not see us paying him anything close to what he will want as an unproven center a 3 line center at that. I see him playing with Kadri for most of the year as a winger.

If Nylander does play center it will be a highly sheltered 3rd line center with Kappy and a bigger winger getting lots of offensive zone starts and our top 2 lines getting more ice time.

Is Bozak even capable of avoiding the checks that Nylander avoids? Is Bozak capable of making plays that Nylander can? Was he ever?

Last edited:

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Leivo will be a positive player on the 3rd line. Whether he gets 20 or 25 does not matter. He will play defence and he will block shots and he will get pucks out of our end on boards and he will forecheck to gain puck possession. All of those things were not done by JVR ever. Yes JVR scores on pp but by playing Matty more on pp that is a non issue. that is why i think team will be better overall.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Leivo really has shown nothing to be considered an even trade for JVR’s role on this team, not in any level of hockey in his young career has he shown that kind of scoring touch

James Van Reimsdyk role on the leafs was to box the 3rd line into being a line solely devoted to throwing low percentage shots at the net in the hopes he would tip them in. I for one am glad to see the team moving past that. Our 3rd line should be capable of a little more than that singular mission.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Is Bozak even capable of avoiding the checks that Nylander avoids? Is Bozak capable of making plays that Nylander can? Was he ever?

Anyone can avoid checks all that it takes is fear...he simply did not put himself in a position to take them.

Nylander is far more skilled but was far more useless in the playoffs as he was so scared that I would of thought he would be leaking brown stuff from his pants leaving a trail.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Anyone can avoid checks all that it takes is fear...he simply did not put himself in a position to take them.

Nylander is far more skilled but was far more useless in the playoffs as he was so scared that I would of thought he would be leaking brown stuff from his pants leaving a trail.

Gretzky avoided checks like a maniac. Lemieux, not so much. Lindros, hardly at all. Its not always about fear. It's often about smarts, ability and size. Great players with long careers understand their place on the ice. We all loved Soshnikov for his willingness to lay a check and his fearlessness. Spent most of his time in the pressbox because of injuries. Yay!

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Sign: Derek Ryan. Short term deal, reasonably low salary, save the 2nd round pick we give up every year for a 4C

Trade: Gardiner, Engvall
For
Tanev

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Nylander-Brown
Grundstrom-Ryan-Leivo

Rielly-Tanev
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Liljegren

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sign: Derek Ryan. Short term deal, reasonably low salary, save the 2nd round pick we give up every year for a 4C

Trade: Gardiner, Engvall
For
Tanev

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Nylander-Brown
Grundstrom-Ryan-Leivo

Rielly-Tanev
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Liljergen

We have Lindholm for the 4C job. I am pretty sure unless he loses it to Gauthier or Aaltonen, he's got the job next year.

Also, terrible value on that trade. Gardiner is more valuable than Tanev right now after he just had another underwhelming, injury ridden year.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
We have Lindholm for the 4C job. I am pretty sure unless he loses it to Gauthier or Aaltonen, he's got the job next year.

Also, terrible value on that trade. Gardiner is more valuable than Tanev right now after he just had another underwhelming, injury ridden year.
Maybe, but i will openly admit i don't know him well enough, and banking on a guy who has never played in the show is asking for a let down and trading away assets to fill a 4C hole again. Aaltonen may grab it but i think its clear babs has lost faith in Gauthier being that guy. Hope one of Lindholm or Aaltonen can take the job, but with never playing an NHL game, its a gamble.
Also, I know they wont give up Tanev easily and we badly need a top pairing right hander. I honestly dont think Vancouver would accept Gardiner for Tanev straight up but i could be wrong. Any suggestions yourself on how to potentially fix the back end?

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Hyman-Bozak-Brown
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Kapanen

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Andersen
Sparks

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
And speaking of Chemistry... I wonder if going with Gardiner - Rielly as a top pair would be a good idea?

I recall that this was tried very early on when Rielly wasn't nearly as good as he is today... and they made some nifty plays. Could be a very offensive top pairing. We will still have Dermott and Zaitsev who are also pretty offensive as well.
that would be a disastrous top pairing in its own zone

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
that would be a disastrous top pairing in its own zone
Not true when they've been paired together they've had great possession stats, so even if you think they'd be "disastrous" in their own end, they'd be on the other side of the rink more times than not.

But unfortunately I don't think we should be putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak.

Toronto Maple Leafs Should Partner Rielly and Gardiner
Morgan Rielly and Gardiner have never been paired together long-term, but when they have been, they’ve been great.
  • 2017-18 56 minutes 60.57% CF
  • 2016-17 54 minutes 53.72% CF
  • 2015-16 61 minutes 60.13% CF
  • 2014- 15 299 minutes 51.37% CF
  • 2013 – 14 230 minutes 54. 79% CF
The stats are pretty conclusive when taken collectively: Rielly and Gardiner are a great pairing. In at least three of those seasons, the Toronto Maple Leafs were brutal and among the worst possession teams in hockey. Despite that, when paired, the Leafs two speedy blue-liners team up to dominate.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Dont hide it. You hate Nylander.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner was pretty horrendous in the playoffs against the Caps. You have to wonder if he is a player that should be considered part of the core. Do we really need a jump for joy mascot after every goal that is afraid of his shadow?
Marner seemed so scared that it looked like yellow stuff was about to come from his pants leaving a huge mess behind.
Its not a surprise Nylander outplayed him in that series. He should be kept over Marner, if management wants to trade one of them.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Marner was pretty horrendous in the playoffs against the Caps. You have to wonder if he is a player that should be considered part of the core. Do we really need a jump for joy mascot after every goal that is afraid of his shadow?
Marner seemed so scared that it looked like yellow stuff was about to come from his pants leaving a huge mess behind.
Its not a surprise Nylander outplayed him in that series. He should be kept over Marner, if management wants to trade one of them.
I get that you are trying to do the opposite of what he said for Nylander in the Bruins series. He is clearly just an emotional fan letting emotions dictate instead of rationale. But its really not the same thing...Nylander did not dominate the Caps series the way Marner dominated the Bruins series.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Not true when they've been paired together they've had great possession stats, so even if you think they'd be "disastrous" in their own end, they'd be on the other side of the rink more times than not.

But unfortunately I don't think we should be putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak.

Toronto Maple Leafs Should Partner Rielly and Gardiner
I have been saying this for a while. Rielly has a history of playing some RD and he wasnt bad. They have always looked great when playing together to me and the numbers back it up. I would argue that with Dermott we now have another egg to put on the second pair. And when Liljegren comes up in 2019 there is another puck moving egg lol.

I would do this for next year as i dont think we should be trading any of our valuable young forwards or 1st round picks and the UFA class is not strong this summer...Carlson would be a mistake longterm.

Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitsev
Holl

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Folks someone has to play defence and keep the puck out of our net. Playing a high flying stretch pass game in regular season yes it works ok. Do it in playoffs and you are gone. If Leafs don't fix their defence then they will be a constant first round exit team. We need some size and strength to add to speed. But 3 guys who can skate too. McNabb times 3 would be perfect. Rielly Dermott Lilegren McNabb McNabb McNabb and we will the Cup next season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Go back and read my posts on Nylander and you will find that is 100% false.

I most certainly do not like what I have seen from him when the games get physical. As far as hate goes it is you that has shown himself as a hater towards some of our players.

Only player I have hated as a Leaf was Dion and I never hid that fact.
Dion was as poor a person as they come. There is a very good reason why he has been moved again.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There is only one thing to hate about Nylander. It is the reliance of low percentage stick check attempts instead of physical retrievals. He is fast enough to get more chances than most players.
If I was Babcock, I'd cut his stick down 3 inches and force him to go get the puck if he wants it.
While we are at it, do the same for Gardiner. He does the exact same thing

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I get that you are trying to do the opposite of what he said for Nylander in the Bruins series. He is clearly just an emotional fan letting emotions dictate instead of rationale. But its really not the same thing...Nylander did not dominate the Caps series the way Marner dominated the Bruins series.
It is a fact which concerns me. We drafted a highly skilled player who is very timid to the point of hurting us in important games. Funny thing is that Marner played as well as Nylander did in The Washington series both had 4 points and were a plus one. Why people on here think that Nylander was far better against Washington when that simply was not true. He was timid in that series’s as well it just was not as noticeable.

Just an FYI he always posts negative posts about Marner.

Me I am seriously disappointed in Nylander as he is a very skilled player with a serious flaw in his game. I sure hope that he can change his game and stop playing a self preservation game and become a player that his team can count on to help win those tough games you gave in the playoffs. I am in the let’s give him a short contract to prove one way or the other camp and then either resign him because he has proven he will put his body on the line to help the team win or he removes all doubt that he will not and we move away from him as paying any player top money who can not be counted on to show up top money is poor cap management.

Nothing emotional about opinion at all.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It is a fact which concerns me. We drafted a highly skilled player who is very timid to the point of hurting us in important games. Funny thing is that Marner played as well as Nylander did in The Washington series both had 4 points and were a plus one. Why people on here think that Nylander was far better against Washington when that simply was not true. He was timid in that series’s as well it just was not as noticeable.

Just an FYI he always posts negative posts about Marner.

Me I am seriously disappointed in Nylander as he is a very skilled player with a serious flaw in his game. I sure hope that he can change his game and stop playing a self preservation game and become a player that his team can count on to help win those tough games you gave in the playoffs. I am in the let’s give him a short contract to prove one way or the other camp and then either resign him because he has proven he will put his body on the line to help the team win or he removes all doubt that he will not and we move away from him as paying any player top money who can not be counted on to show up top money is poor cap management.

Nothing emotional about opinion at all.
But he takes hits to make plays all the time too. Yes he avoids contact on some plays but I've seen every player avoid a hit when they feel they don't have a chance to make it to the puck.
Guy Lafleur comes to mind as a tough as nails player that wasn't known for throwing hits and he slipped checks like an eel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boutette

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Bozak - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Brown

Rielly - Braun
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Ozhiganov/Polak

Andersen
McBackup

Sparks

Orrrrr

Rielly - Braun
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Ozhiganov

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
When you constantly write things like "I'm surprised he doesn't have something brown trailing him across the ice" instead of simply "he plays too tentative, too scared", it's kind of hard to buy that you are not emotional and irrational.
Just spit my coffee on the keyboard...thanks:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad