Friedman: Leafs interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Detroit is still in asset accumulation mode in the short-term. The best and possibly second best player on the next good Wings team hasn't been drafted yet. Now is not a great time to overpay for a player's prime years. Save that for the captain.

Get the pick/prospect and sign a free agent looking to rebuild value in his place.

the next best player for Detroit was drafted in the first round of 2019..

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Freidman recently came out and said the Leafs have interest in Tyler Bertuzzi, I'm conflicted with the possibility of this acqusition.

On one hand if he's healthy he fits beautifully with Matthews and Marner or Tavares and Nylander.

on the other he wasn't healthy last season and that's a concern.

I'm not against it I'd be interested to see the price
In other news,,,,the Leafs are interested in everyone...

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Would be a good fit in Vancouver but I would assume we would have to give up our 2022 first (lottery protected) to acquire him and I dont think we should do that. I also dont think we should give up our 2021 2nd so that would basically take us out of the running

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's a scum bag but would be a fan favourite in Toronto. One of those guys you can't stand if he's on the other team, but once he's on yours that opinion changes fast. The ask is what would scare me. I'm assuming they would want someone like Sandin.

How is Tyler Bertuzzi a scum bag? You just see Bertuzzi and that means he is Todd and just like him?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That is from Detroit's POV. What is Bert's POV on the situation? Takes 2 sides to come to an agreement especically as the player approaches UFA. More leverage on the player side vs coming out of ELC.

Mantha's laziness is a known fact when you watch him play, and Mantha's view doesn't matter on the situation.

PapiMatthews

Jun 5, 2021
Toronto
I do agree we are top heavy and should spread out the $, which includes trading Matthews and Marner.

LOL trading Matthews? That's gotta be the worst thing I've ever heard.

Marner is a bit different. He's overpaid, small, doesn't perform to the best of his ability, etc. -- the media obviously gets in his head too much. He's not fit for Toronto. They definitely need to move him.

But moving Matthews? That's as stupid as moving Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Bergeron, etc.

This should've been Matthews team and not Tavares, but I don't think he's outspoken enough to be the Captain of a Toronto hockey team with all the media scrutiny and everything.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think Bertuzzi would have to come with an extension. I'd happily stack a pile of prospects for Bertuzzi. The Leafs have no picks to share. But, with only a year to FA and being arbitration eligible to move someone like Rodion Amirov++ or Liljegren++ for someone who could dart in a year is just poor asset management. If they can work something out beforehand I'd pay full price. If he were to come without an extension I would cut the ++ and make it a straight up trade.

With extension
Rodion Amirov + Topi Niemela + SDA for Tyler Bertuzzi (4.5M per for 5 years)

Without extension
Rodion Amirov for Tyler Bertuzzi (RFA rights)

I looked at Detroit's list of picks and figure that a prospect who is advanced in his development may not be that bad instead of more picks.
Why would Detroit even remotely do the first trade? Tyler Bertuzzi with a reasonable extension is worth far more then futures and 2 guys that Don't have single NHL experience under their belts yet.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd entertain an offer as a Wings fan. No use arguing with Leafs fans over what we all think the value is, though. I'd just look at Yzerman's track record of fleecing teams in trades and Dubas' record of slightly overpaying in most of his trades. I'm sure we'd get a decent haul. If not, Yzerman just won't sell low...as that's not how he operates.
Fair assessment. Although his overpays in trade are slight at most. Not a Marleau/Zaitsev level overpay. But if Barrie had played in Toronto like he did last season in Edmonton, plus Kerfoot not breaking his face a dozen games into the season.....all of a sudden that trade looks hella different.

Call me crazy, but I might move a Robertson in the deal if Bertuzzi would consider an extension.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Bertuzzi is the perfect compliment on the second line provided we somehow bring back Hyman.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander

Very complete top six there. Hope the two teams can come to an agreement on a fair deal.
On what planet do you think that you can resign Hyman and take Bertuzzi on? Hyman wants $5M+ and Bertuzzi is going to be similar to Hyman if we sign him long term. You can't afford Hyman now let alone adding Bertuzzi to the mix.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'd do that for Bert you would have to throw in another 2nd for Givani

So liljegren 22 1st 22 2nd and 23 2nd

For Bert and givani
Why would Detroit even be remotely interested in Timothy Liljegren? Right now it's doubtful he's any better then Troy Stecher at best Liljegren is a bottom pairing RD in Detroit as he's sure not going to get Top 4 minutes over Hronek and Seider RD isn't a need unless Toronto wants to give us a LD and no Dermott isn't the answer then Toronto has nothing of value that we need.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
That offer gets us Larkin and Bertuzzi

Insane overpayment
Umm not sure if you seen what Stevie got for mantha but don’t expect any less of an overpayment to get Bert, mantha went for a top 6 winger (more like first line) a first a second and panik, it’s gonna cost you exactly what he said if you wanna pry bert away

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
well that a non starter for a guy who's is 1) a pending UFA 2) coming of a season where he was injured all year
He’s an RFA with one year of team control. Doesn’t mean he is going to sign a one year deal. Any team acquiring him would have access to his medical.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Muzzin, Spezza, Thornton, Foligno, Simmonds and Bogosian are all Dubas guys. How much more size do you want him to bring in? Half the roster is 6'2" or above

size doesn’t matter unless it’s used to punish your opponents. as a whole these guys don’t.

Jaime oleksiak for example had more hits last season than both muzzin and Bogo combined.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Ah, I see we’re in the early stages of the Leafs are interested in every human that can skate part of the offseason

Reactions: Joel Ward

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
well that a non starter for a guy who's is 1) a pending UFA 2) coming of a season where he was injured all year
And yet Jack Eichel has a herniated disc in his neck, And will get back a kings ransom, And FyI if we deal Bertuzzi he will be under long term control we're not moving him with only one year left that's not happening. If Robertson isn't in the deal then Bertuzzi wont be playing in Toronto it's that simple.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
And yet Jack Eichel has a herniated disc in his neck, And will get back a kings ransom, And FyI if we deal Bertuzzi he will be under long term control we're not moving him with only one year left that's not happening. If Robertson isn't in the deal then Bertuzzi wont be playing in Toronto it's that simple.
I guess we'll have to wait and see potentially

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Thanks Stevie, MLSE and its fans appreciate knowing what it is the Wings will and will not do.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just read on twitter that the Bruins, Blues, Kings, Flyers and Canucks also have interest in Bertuzzi. Would prefer if he didnt go to a divsion rival so I would expect the Bruins and Leafs to pay a premium for that if they stay in the mix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad