Friedman: Leafs interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Freidman recently came out and said the Leafs have interest in Tyler Bertuzzi, I'm conflicted with the possibility of this acqusition.

On one hand if he's healthy he fits beautifully with Matthews and Marner or Tavares and Nylander.

on the other he wasn't healthy last season and that's a concern.

I'm not against it I'd be interested to see the price

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just because Detroit is rebuilding doesn't mean that they want to trade every current talent to another team
The smart move would be to just keep him and when Detroit is finally contending put him on the 3rd line or 2nd line
It depends on how Detroit's rebuild is going to take. Bertuzzi is UFA in 2022 and just saw Mantha who extended some UFA years get traded at the TDL. Is he next if he signs a long term deal?

Reactions: BHD

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He's a scum bag but would be a fan favourite in Toronto. One of those guys you can't stand if he's on the other team, but once he's on yours that opinion changes fast. The ask is what would scare me. I'm assuming they would want someone like Sandin.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Detroit already traded away Mantha, don't see why they would trade Burtuzzi unless the Leafs are willing to really overpay. He is 25 and can produce and fits in with the team as the rebuild.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Detroit already traded away Mantha, don't see why they would trade Burtuzzi unless the Leafs are willing to really overpay. He is 25 and can produce and fits in with the team as the rebuild.
Bertuzzi is 26 and a RFA who is a year out from UFA. He could opt for salary arbitration and then hit UFA in 2022 if he wants.

Really it's now Bertuzzi and Larkin left that are over 22 that would be a part of the Wing's future. Just a matter of how much longer it will take for that future to arrive. Maybe best to give himself the option of staying or going by not committing right now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's a scum bag but would be a fan favourite in Toronto. One of those guys you can't stand if he's on the other team, but once he's on yours that opinion changes fast. The ask is what would scare me. I'm assuming they would want someone like Sandin.

I don't think they'd ask for Sandin

Reactions: TFHockey

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ball is completely in Bertuzzi's court. If he wants out, than Yzerman will likely be looking to trade him.

However, I expect him to sign a 2-3 year contract where he'll get an extra a bit more money to incentivize him to stay, which will give Detroit a bit more flexibility.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ball is completely in Bertuzzi's court. If he wants out, than Yzerman will likely be looking to trade him.

However, I expect him to sign a 2-3 year contract where he'll get an extra a bit more money to incentivize him to stay, which will give Detroit a bit more flexibility.

It's possible but Mantha did that and now he's in Washington

Reactions: TFHockey and banks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Factor in Bert's age and style of play. 26 years old now, UFA at 27 in 2022. He's not a guy that teams would lock up past age 31/32 with his style of play. So, doing a deal til he's 28/29 likely not in his best interests. But, he needs a productive season to get the term he desires.

See how it plays out with him.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Hoping the Pens get in on this, if Detroit are indeed thinking of moving him, would look great with Malkin and Kapanen imo.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
What prospect would it take , we don’t have a 1st and no roster players of value that are moveable

so its down to prospects ….

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I'd entertain an offer as a Wings fan. No use arguing with Leafs fans over what we all think the value is, though. I'd just look at Yzerman's track record of fleecing teams in trades and Dubas' record of slightly overpaying in most of his trades. I'm sure we'd get a decent haul. If not, Yzerman just won't sell low...as that's not how he operates.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Ideally Leafs would somehow keep Sandin & Robertson

They could offer packages with Amirov, 2022 1st, Neimla (WHJC) defense MVP but I think Detroit would rightfully ask for Sandin or Robertson in the deal and the conversation would end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad