Friedman: Leafs interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
The Kings are logical. Still reportedly looking for another top 6 forward. They have Byfield and Vilardi with a few others at the pivot position coming (Turcotte, Kupari, Thomas, etc.) and Kopitar is still playing well.

Kopitar and Doughty are making $10 and $11 million respectively. No room for another $10 million cap hit on the roster.

Everyone forgets about Kaliyev. Not much longer. He could very well have an impact before Byfield and Vilardi.

Reactions: Mats26 and kinghock

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
As of now I don’t think the leafs have the assets that make sense to trade for Bertuzzi. What red Wings want I don’t think leafs are willing to trade and vice versa.

Trade deadline might be a different story.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Every time a player is rumored to the Leafs, people say it will be top guys and it never is. If Dubas moved Sandin the fans would literally riot. There just isn't a chance in hell he is involved in a package for Bertuzzi. Sandin has a real chance at being a top pairing D in the next few seasons. He's on an ELC and will provide lots of value playing on the bottom pair and running the PP (which in short trials this year he was a massive improvement over the D we were using).

It will likely involve a package of picks and prospects (Liljegren, Robertson, Amirov as the main piece and adding depending on who that is). I like the player but no chance Sandin in involved.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Every time a player is rumored to the Leafs, people say it will be top guys and it never is. If Dubas moved Sandin the fans would literally riot. There just isn't a chance in hell he is involved in a package for Bertuzzi. Sandin has a real chance at being a top pairing D in the next few seasons. He's on an ELC and will provide lots of value playing on the bottom pair and running the PP (which in short trials this year he was a massive improvement over the D we were using).

It will likely involve a package of picks and prospects (Liljegren, Robertson, Amirov as the main piece and adding depending on who that is). I like the player but no chance Sandin in involved.

I don't think there's a big gap between Sandin and Robertson. They were both ranked similarly going into last season on most lists I saw and both are coming off tough years due to injuries. I agree that Sandin won't be moved but I think Robertson is in that category as well. He could be an impact player for multiple years on an ELC, that potential is too valuable to trade with Toronto's cap concerns.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't think there's a big gap between Sandin and Robertson. They were both ranked similarly going into last season on most lists I saw and both are coming off tough years due to injuries. I agree that Sandin won't be moved but I think Robertson is in that category as well. There's just too much potential upside if they can be impact players on small cap hits.

Eh it depends. Personally, Robertson is at least 2 years away. I think he is at best a tweener next season and is better served playing in the AHL. And reality is, this is really it. Rielly a UFA after this season, Muzzin will be 34 and not getting any younger (especially for a D who plays like he does). They will have 2 years left on the big 3 deals which means no time for a proper retool.

I think Robertson is very much on the table in the right package. I think he has a future as a solid top 6 winger, maybe more. But Sandin has a future of potentially a #1 D if all goes well, or realistically a top 3 dman. These guys just have far too much value and are far too hard to get to consider moving him for a 26 year old Zach Hyman due for a nice raise. I get that physical players who can potentially play in the top 6 are also very valuable, but I can't think of a trade where someone moved a legit top pairing D for a physical style winger.

Reality is, UFA is only going to do so much. Leafs need forward help badly, especially after losing Kerfoot (presumably). We can sign a few bargain bin guys and hope they work out, but in reality they won't be top 6 help. And we don't have the cap space to sign a top 6 winger in UFA. So the Leafs will be looking to make minimum 1 deal, very likely 2 to really solidify the forward group and give them some scoring depth that can be relied on. And that doesn't even get into the need for a 3C after Kerfoot is gone.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dubas sell the farm this offseason. Amirov and Robertson both gone in separate packages for forwards with team control for a few years.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

The wings and leafs aren’t great trade partners. Wings have no need for RD and wing is there second deepest position. So lilly doesn’t move the needle for them, but Robertson could work. Of course we’re going to ask for Sandin since LD is one of our biggest needs.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The wings and leafs aren’t great trade partners. Wings have no need for RD and wing is there second deepest position. So lilly doesn’t move the needle for them, but Robertson could work. Of course we’re going to ask for Sandin since LD is one of our biggest needs.

We'll see. Leafs nation is already hanging on for dear life. If they got fleeced in this move I think they would lose a significant amount of fans.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As of now I don’t think the leafs have the assets that make sense to trade for Bertuzzi. What red Wings want I don’t think leafs are willing to trade and vice versa.

Trade deadline might be a different story.

If they have the assets at the deadline they have the assets now

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I'm afraid to ask.

But, what would you give up?
I’m not exactly sure what wouldn’t be totally insulting to Detroit, or what they need…

but I’d do a deal around McCann+ Pick or prospect for Bertuzzi. If you’d rather two roster players, McCann and ZAR or something.

Last edited:

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The problem is the Leafs don't have all that much of interest for a team like Detroit.

I'd have a very hard time seeing Yzerman trade Bertuzzi to the Leafs and not getting one of Robertson/Sandin in return.
I guess the alternative is getting a really good return in terms of draft picks but Leafs are already short on picks so I doubt they'd want to give up multiple high picks.
Listen Bertuzzi is a great player, but Sandin and Robertson are both A Level Prospects.

if people were thinking of trading him to Montreal it would be ridiculous to ask for Caufield.

if people were thinkin of trading him to Chicago it would be ridiculous to ask for Dach.

would you trade Zadina for Bertuzzi? I don’t think so. (I know they’re on the same team but imagine they’re not)

HOWEVER with that being said I do realize how special of a player Bertuzzi is, which is why I am fine with adding maybe an overpay in other, lesser prospects.

Dermott + Liljegren + Hallander/Abruzzese and possibly some picks, I could handle.

but if I remember correctly isn’t Bertuzzi coming off of major surgery? Odds are he is fine but if a player like Eichel can be traded for less due to having/needing surgery, I don’t see why Berts value wouldn’t be slightly hurt by that as well

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Listen Bertuzzi is a great player, but Sandin and Robertson are both A Level Prospects.

if people were thinking of trading him to Montreal it would be ridiculous to ask for Caufield.

if people were thinkin of trading him to Chicago it would be ridiculous to ask for Dach.

would you trade Zadina for Bertuzzi? I don’t think so. (I know they’re on the same team but imagine they’re not)

HOWEVER with that being said I do realize how special of a player Bertuzzi is, which is why I am fine with adding maybe an overpay in other, lesser prospects.

Dermott + Liljegren + Hallander/Abruzzese and possibly some picks, I could handle.

but if I remember correctly isn’t Bertuzzi coming off of major surgery? Odds are he is fine but if a player like Eichel can be traded for less due to having/needing surgery, I don’t see why Berts value wouldn’t be slightly hurt by that as well

Putting Sandin and Roberston on the same tier as Dach and Caulfield is ridiculous.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Very farfetched to compare Sandin/Robertson to Dach/Caufield.

But again the problem with this potential trade arrangement is that the Leafs don't have the pieces imo if both Sandin and Robertson are off the table.

If Yzerman doesn't get full value because of Bertuzzi's health status, chances are he won't trade him. If he does trade him, we have to assume there are at least some team out there willing to part with a piece of a similar caliber as Sandin/Robertson. This isn't a scenario where the Leafs can lowball and expect to get the player.

Liljegren, Hållander and Abruzzese are throw-ins at best, and Dermott simply can't be the centerpiece of the trade.

Reactions: kinghock

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Very farfetched to compare Sandin/Robertson to Dach/Caufield.

But again the problem with this potential trade arrangement is that the Leafs don't have the pieces imo if both Sandin and Robertson are off the table.

If Yzerman doesn't get full value because of Bertuzzi's health status, chances are he won't trade him. If he does trade him, we have to assume there are at least some team out there willing to part with a piece of a similar caliber as Sandin/Robertson. This isn't a scenario where the Leafs can lowball and expect to get the player.

Liljegren, Hållander and Abruzzese are throw-ins at best, and Dermott simply can't be the centerpiece of the trade.
Bro how in the actual f*** is Liljegren a throw in.

this is why I don’t come here anymore lol

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bro how in the actual f*** is Liljegren a throw in.

this is why I don’t come here anymore lol
He does nothing for the Wings who are stacked at RHD, and regardless he is 22 years old with essentially no NHL experience and no indication that he’ll be much more than bottom-pairing NHLer.
He’s by no means a major piece in a trade at this point and only Leafs fans could think otherwise.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
The kings are odd to me because they already got thir winger if I were the kings I'd be focused on Eichel because Kopitar is getting old

I do not believe it is for Leafs fans to decide who Kings should be looking to trade for.
I think LA has much more interest in Bertuzzi comparing to their interest in Eichel.
Also Kings have better tradable assets comparing to Toronto.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Eh it depends. Personally, Robertson is at least 2 years away. I think he is at best a tweener next season and is better served playing in the AHL. And reality is, this is really it. Rielly a UFA after this season, Muzzin will be 34 and not getting any younger (especially for a D who plays like he does). They will have 2 years left on the big 3 deals which means no time for a proper retool.

I think Robertson is very much on the table in the right package. I think he has a future as a solid top 6 winger, maybe more. But Sandin has a future of potentially a #1 D if all goes well, or realistically a top 3 dman. These guys just have far too much value and are far too hard to get to consider moving him for a 26 year old Zach Hyman due for a nice raise. I get that physical players who can potentially play in the top 6 are also very valuable, but I can't think of a trade where someone moved a legit top pairing D for a physical style winger.

Reality is, UFA is only going to do so much. Leafs need forward help badly, especially after losing Kerfoot (presumably). We can sign a few bargain bin guys and hope they work out, but in reality they won't be top 6 help. And we don't have the cap space to sign a top 6 winger in UFA. So the Leafs will be looking to make minimum 1 deal, very likely 2 to really solidify the forward group and give them some scoring depth that can be relied on. And that doesn't even get into the need for a 3C after Kerfoot is gone.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dubas sell the farm this offseason. Amirov and Robertson both gone in separate packages for forwards with team control for a few years.

Toronto dont need a superstar with Matthews/Marner. They can sign a guy like Joel Armia not too much and use him like they used hyman and that will work pretty well.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Is this a joke? Zadina was drafted 6th overall, Robertson 53rd overall 2nd round pick and Sandin 29th overall. Robertson is basically a late 2nd round pick i'd hardly call him an A level prospect drafted that late.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Is this a joke? Zadina was drafted 6th overall, Robertson 53rd overall 2nd round pick and Sandin 29th overall. Robertson is basically a late 2nd round pick i'd hardly call him an A level prospect drafted that late.

Prospect evaluation is an ongoing process. It matters what they do once drafted ; pedigree only counts for so much. Robertsons draft plus 1 year was near historic from a goal scoring pace.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Prospect evaluation is an ongoing process. It matters what they do once drafted ; pedigree only counts for so much. Robertsons draft plus 1 year was near historic from a goal scoring pace.
So keep the ongoing process - he didn't score any historic numbers in his d+2 so the truth about what he is should be somewhere in the middle of calling him just a 2nd round pick and putting him on the level of Caufield/Dach.
Zadina's pedigree and performance so far at the pro level should also mean he's a higher tier of young player than Robertson.

Don't see any reason why Robertson should be untouchable if we're talking about Bertuzzi going to Toronto. It actually makes a lot of sense for both sides even though my preference would be Sandin.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Im not sure he is projected to be a top pairing D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad