Friedman: Leafs interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Bert didn't just have back surgery, I would laugh at the idea that Hyman is better than Bert. But because we don't know where he's at, maybe. Also I think the core has proven that they can't get it done, but are paid like they can. We'll see if I'm right.

No deal!
Hyman has put up way better numbers (pace i will admit) playing no PP time. What has Bertuzzi done to say it is laughable that Hyman is better right now?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
What kind of contract is he looking at? A year from UFA, I feel like he could get expensive fast.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Hyman has put up way better numbers (pace i will admit) playing no PP time. What has Bertuzzi done to say it is laughable that Hyman is better right now?
I must have dreamed the 3 goals he scored on the PP this season and last.

I must have dreamed the 1:30 per game he spent on the PP this season and the 1:06 last season.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
They won't be contending for a while
In your opinion, LEAFS are contending? Losing before the playoffs even start? Leading 3-1 against a unicorn team in MTL. Not closing it out? Pretender paper tigers at best. I think even "pretender" is questionable.

I'd know about paper tigers as a Ducks fan, and those teams were a lot better than what TML has right now.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
So a guy one year away from UFA we are gonna trade 2 firsts and our top defensive prospect not named Sandin or Liljegren. Geez man you are so delusional it’s not even funny.
Didn't you guys just trade a first for an injured player?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So if the leafs let Hyman walk, why would they ever pay that price (Sandin, Amirov, 1st) for a guy that fills the same role? It makes no sense. And that is really the issue, the price has to be right from the leafs POV (way way lower than that) and the Red Wings rightfully don't want to sell low. Probably not going to agree on value. However I do honestly believe he won't fetch close to that package
Eliott Friedmann is the source, not I.

Hyman may demand more than Bert, has a longer resume + known chemistry +fan/team fav etc. albeit older.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Is there a good reason why Toronto is never “rumored” to be in on acquiring a good defenseman? You know, their actual problem?

The clear issue with the leafs last year was their forward depth. Also if they can move on from Reilly and have someone else more defensively sound eat up his minutes that will change the look of the leafs. They have an overall good D core

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
If Detroit can take the Leafs the way they took us with Mantha they'd be fools not to. Wouldn't be surprised if Bertuzzi is just as overvalued because of other teams' perception of him being a "missing piece"

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Is there a good reason why Toronto is never “rumored” to be in on acquiring a good defenseman? You know, their actual problem?

That narrative is old dude. The D was solid this past season.

In 56 games they allowed more than 35 shots once. ONCE.

Least of the teams concerns right now to be honest. Forward depth, 3rd line, PP and backup goalie are the areas to address.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i can understand why leaf fans would like to have bertuzzi because they could use some more grit . if i was a leaf fan i'd be a little nervous with dubas-shanahan dealing with yzerman. may be better off staying away from that .

Reactions: Beleafer34

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The big question around Bertuzzi sticking with the Red Wings is this, how many years away are the Red Wings from contending? If this answer is more than 3 years away, then Bertuzzi will be 30 and getting older.

I like Bertuzzi and he will add some snarl to the Leafs if a trade did happen, but after a back injury and 1 year away from UFA. I can’t see the Leafs parting with whatever price Detroit would want for him.

Reactions: Menzinger
Sep 18, 2009
i can understand why leaf fans would like to have bertuzzi because they could use some more grit . if i was a leaf fan i'd be a little nervous with dubas-shanahan dealing with yzerman. may be better off staying away from that .
Shanahan can play yzerman like a fiddle

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Shanahan can play yzerman like a fiddle
lol . that is to funny . i always wondered why shanahan continues to stand by while dubas abstains from getting bigger and tougher . someone should put a pair of skates on dubas for the first time and have someone run him over . maybe than he'll wake the f... up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad