Friedman: Leafs interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Laffs after Bertuzzi, Hall etc etc...all players want to come to TO, they get 10m contracts for 0 proven track record...now the team is a disaster, shoulda let SJS over pay Tavares instead...you already had a #1C in Matthews
With Tavares getting hurt in game 1, i think it proves we need both to contender.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In your opinion, LEAFS are contending? Losing before the playoffs even start? Leading 3-1 against a unicorn team in MTL. Not closing it out? Pretender paper tigers at best. I think even "pretender" is questionable.

I'd know about paper tigers as a Ducks fan, and those teams were a lot better than what TML has right now.

I'm not sure what the Leafs playoff results have to do with Detroit not being contenders

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
These Leafs rumours are really becoming annoying. It is as if the salary cap doesn’t exist. Bertuzzi made 3.5 million last year. His next contract will not be for less than that. His numbers justify a contract in the 4-5 million range on a 3 year contract. How exactly are the Leafs going to fit him in if a big contract doesn’t leave the books? Next!

Reactions: Beleafer34

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
These Leafs rumours are really becoming annoying. It is as if the salary cap doesn’t exist. Bertuzzi made 3.5 million last year. His next contract will not be for less than that. His numbers justify a contract in the 4-5 million range on a 3 year contract. How exactly are the Leafs going to fit him in if a big contract doesn’t leave the books? Next!

The cap exists, but not everyone is sticking around. I do agree that anything TOR does will be challenging.

Bertuzzi is risky, and the biggest issue his his IR status. Not the 4 million they might have to pay him.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Hahaahhah what, where have you seen in your viewings that Derrmott will become a solid 2LD? You've gone mad pal.
Derrmott is a guy that as swoon as we trade him he gets top 4 mins and all HF would go hahahah you traded away a top 4 D man.

So, the rumor isn't Detroit shopping Bert, rather the Leafs are interested. They're not trying to find the best they can get and settling for it, rather they have another year to lock him up or can move him at the deadline if they can't reach a long term deal. You then have to consider the value from the perspective of it needing to be something valuable enough to force the move. I don't think anyone outside of a certain segment of the Toronto fanbase feels that Dermott is the piece to force the Wings into moving him. Neither is the prospect of Detroit adding additional value to get Sandin.
If they are shopping him or not whats expected for him is laughable, no top prospects or no 1st round picks are going for a guy like Bert.

A 20 year old Mikhail Sergachyov equivalent.
jesus man HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
its like asking for Raymond+ for Kerfoot hahahahah

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
With Tavares getting hurt in game 1, i think it proves we need both to contender.
Hindsight is always 20/20. I think Tavares’ money would have been better spent on providing much better depth. Like the other poster said, Matthews was going to be our #1 center. There was absolutely no need to be spending $22 million for 2 centers, and then adding on another $11 million for a winger. Dubas is such a tool!!!

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
With Detroit interested in Hyman and Toronto interested in Bertuzzi I wonder if there's going to be a trade.

Bertuzzi's RFA rights for Hymans UFA rights+Sandin/Liljegren/Amirov+lesser prospect/pick/roster player.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Bertuzzi would have to come with an extension. I'd happily stack a pile of prospects for Bertuzzi. The Leafs have no picks to share. But, with only a year to FA and being arbitration eligible to move someone like Rodion Amirov++ or Liljegren++ for someone who could dart in a year is just poor asset management. If they can work something out beforehand I'd pay full price. If he were to come without an extension I would cut the ++ and make it a straight up trade.

With extension
Rodion Amirov + Topi Niemela + SDA for Tyler Bertuzzi (4.5M per for 5 years)

Without extension
Rodion Amirov for Tyler Bertuzzi (RFA rights)

I looked at Detroit's list of picks and figure that a prospect who is advanced in his development may not be that bad instead of more picks.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
With Detroit interested in Hyman and Toronto interested in Bertuzzi I wonder if there's going to be a trade.

Bertuzzi's RFA rights for Hymans UFA rights+Sandin/Liljegren/Amirov+lesser prospect/pick/roster player.
Detroit will get hy-man milord, and the rich toronto maple leafs will do what ever they want. If they want to select bertuzzi (who fits so well in toronto), they will do so. Toronto gets everybody they wants again nowadays, they have the most talented offensive thread and core in the world. Lets see what it takes them this time. Bertuzzi might be a leaf during next week already.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

why would yzerman pay for his rights when he's a ufa ?

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not sure if Bert will fix the Leafs problems but then I'm really not sure what their problems are anymore.
I used to think it was too much offence and not enough defence and goaltending was fine. Now I'm being told that defence is fine but there's not enough offence and goaltending is iffy.
Very confusing. Can anyone explain what is needed to fix the Leafs?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

They have to replace Hyman with somebody

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Bertuzzi is the perfect compliment on the second line provided we somehow bring back Hyman.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander

Very complete top six there. Hope the two teams can come to an agreement on a fair deal.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
lol . that is to funny . i always wondered why shanahan continues to stand by while dubas abstains from getting bigger and tougher . someone should put a pair of skates on dubas for the first time and have someone run him over . maybe than he'll wake the f... up
Muzzin, Spezza, Thornton, Foligno, Simmonds and Bogosian are all Dubas guys. How much more size do you want him to bring in? Half the roster is 6'2" or above

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Derrmott is a guy that as swoon as we trade him he gets top 4 mins and all HF would go hahahah you traded away a top 4 D man.

If they are shopping him or not whats expected for him is laughable, no top prospects or no 1st round picks are going for a guy like Bert.

jesus man HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
its like asking for Raymond+ for Kerfoot hahahahah

Dermott for Bertuzi is just not an even trade, despite your belief in him as a potential top 4. If that is all the Leafs are offering I seriously doubt they are able to acquire him.

mcityguy1

Sep 27, 2017
Leafs fan said bertuzzi would need extention ok so wings sign him for higher amount of $ and I am sure Leafs would want wings to pay half of his salary for what? The crap they offering the wings is a joke

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Muzzin, Spezza, Thornton, Foligno, Simmonds and Bogosian are all Dubas guys. How much more size do you want him to bring in? Half the roster is 6'2" or above
Spezza is a tall lad for sure i'll give you that . he's not the grittiest though . Thornton is toast .!Resigning foligno would be a step in the right direction but that's not guaranteed. Good health for simmonds would be a huge bonus . i guess in answer to your question i would say 5-6 more guys with grit ,?truculence size .

for the next several years the road to the cup goes through tampa . they have a heavyweight plus six or seven middleweights with grit . remember how they did jacks... until they brought in more guys like maroon , coleman , goodrow ...

Last edited:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Hindsight is always 20/20. I think Tavares’ money would have been better spent on providing much better depth. Like the other poster said, Matthews was going to be our #1 center. There was absolutely no need to be spending $22 million for 2 centers, and then adding on another $11 million for a winger. Dubas is such a tool!!!
I do agree we are top heavy and should spread out the $, which includes trading Matthews and Marner.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think Bertuzzi would have to come with an extension. I'd happily stack a pile of prospects for Bertuzzi. The Leafs have no picks to share. But, with only a year to FA and being arbitration eligible to move someone like Rodion Amirov++ or Liljegren++ for someone who could dart in a year is just poor asset management. If they can work something out beforehand I'd pay full price. If he were to come without an extension I would cut the ++ and make it a straight up trade.

With extension
Rodion Amirov + Topi Niemela + SDA for Tyler Bertuzzi (4.5M per for 5 years)

Without extension
Rodion Amirov for Tyler Bertuzzi (RFA rights)

I looked at Detroit's list of picks and figure that a prospect who is advanced in his development may not be that bad instead of more picks.

No... just f***ing No.

Do you watch prospects at all. Jesus f***... bertuzzi for this. That's terrible.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Not sure if Bert will fix the Leafs problems but then I'm really not sure what their problems are anymore.
I used to think it was too much offence and not enough defence and goaltending was fine. Now I'm being told that defence is fine but there's not enough offence and goaltending is iffy.
Very confusing. Can anyone explain what is needed to fix the Leafs?
you could possibly try trading a player making big dollars for grit size and futures , than use the freed up cash to sign guys like coleman , goodrow types . Doling out more futures in trades has to stop to .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad