Rumor: Leafs interested in Bert + DET interested in Hyman? 1st post updated

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Actually I read Willy's holdout helped lower his AAV, not the other way as you're suggesting. (He didn't get a full $6.9 for ~4 months of work)

In the year he signed it, his AAV was 10.2M. The actual AAV of his deal was 7.5M This was an extra cap hit of 2.7m over what it should have been in the year it was signed. So, for years 2-6 of the deal, it reduced his AAV by 540k annually. So, it's kind of both. In year, the AAV was higher and after it was lower.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
On the Ask 31 podcast Friedman said he thinks Detroit has shown interest in Hyman. Friedman also said Toronto had interest in Bertuzzi at the deadline but the injury caused them to look elsewhere. He doesn’t know if Toronto is necessarily still interested.

Reactions: NickH8

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am probably totally off on this, but I have a really hard time seeing anyone trade for Bert without seeing how the back holds up in games. This strikes me as more of a midseason move. Again I could be totally off base here.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I am probably totally off on this, but I have a really hard time seeing anyone trade for Bert without seeing how the back holds up in games. This strikes me as more of a midseason move. Again I could be totally off base here.
You're not off base, I think if Bert gets moved its going to be well into his rehab or at the deadline, next season. It's going to have to be a move that forces Yzerman's hand, much like the Vrana/Mantha deal.

Reactions: Redrogue71

Redrogue71

Jul 13, 2021
You're not off base, I think if Bert gets moved its going to be well into his rehab or at the deadline, next season. It's going to have to be a move that forces Yzerman's hand, much like the Vrana/Mantha deal.
I totally agree. I think your take on the Bert situation is bang on. Stevie will get Bert a very manageable and tradeable contract. It will be a win/win if Bert stays or gets traded. On another note I'd rather have Bert than Hyman. But if Bert can bring in a great return I'm all in for a trade.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Read the Kings were also interested in BB. They have a well stocked farm.

I am a BB fan but if the price is right, after back surgery and his style, I trade him.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
North of 5M X 8yrs ?!?
complete Insanity

Yep.

I assume Yzerman is looking at this from the “it can’t hurt to ask” perspective. Shoot your shot and see what happens. But I assume his offer is not more than three or four years, and I doubt Hyman entertains that offer.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Zach Hyman might as well be named David Clarkson or Justin Abdelkader. This will be a terrible contract before the ink dries on it

We're on the same wavelength. Just posted this in the Zadina thread in reply to someone saying no way Hyman gets a contract that long.

Oh, we've seen this kind of thing before.

Detroit Red Wings sign Justin Abdelkader to 7-year contract extension

Home Sweet Home: Leafs sign Toronto native David Clarkson to seven-year deal

Milan Lucic signs 7-year deal with Edmonton Oilers - Sportsnet.ca

That's just off the top of my head. GMs can't help themselves with these gritty wingers that bring playoff intangibles.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Perhaps they meant literally. As in, all those teams are north of Toronto.

I see what you did there.

I think we can assume that if Hyman is signed to an Abdelkader anchor contract that it's a sign that some people just haven't gotten any wiser. How long do you think the GM who signs Hyman for 5 years or more has before getting fired?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I see what you did there.

I think we can assume that if Hyman is signed to an Abdelkader anchor contract that it's a sign that some people just haven't gotten any wiser. How long do you think the GM who signs Hyman for 5 years or more has before getting fired?

I don't know, but if it's Ken Holland, I'm looking forward to how he'll respond to the sound of the entire city of Edmonton face palming in unison.

"What, do you want me to get him for free?"

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't know, but if it's Ken Holland, I'm looking forward to how he'll respond to the sound of the entire city of Edmonton face palming in unison.

Man, Caleb Jones must love this. "Kenny thinks that I was the next closest thing to giving up nothing"

Reactions: MBH

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

"We like our team moving forward." After signing Hyman to an 8 year deal, 4.5 mil per year.

I could see this guy picking up Helm for 2 mil a season and some other Wings retreads.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Man, Caleb Jones must love this. "Kenny thinks that I was the next closest thing to giving up nothing"

"Anyway, as I was saying Seth, let's just get a fresh start in Chicago together."

I hate how well the Chicago rebuild is going. I've been saying it for years and it just keeps happening.

Reactions: golffuul

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
"We like our team moving forward." After signing Hyman to an 8 year deal, 4.5 mil per year.

I could see this guy picking up Helm for 2 mil a season and some other Wings retreads.

Ken's thinking, whenever he signed these deals, is that you just worry about those bloated years later. Exact quote from when he signed Abby: "If it's too long, you worry about it six years from now." Or let another GM buyout your bad deal. Either way.

In a different scenario, I agree with him. Just not with guys like Abby, ya know. But Kenny loves his piano pullers and if the rumors are true, Hyman might be hauling that McDavid piano in Edmonton for the better part of a decade.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Pagnotta linking Montreal and New Jersey to Bertuzzi. What about Kotkaniemi? Montreal has Danault and Suzuki and Evans already at C and Kotka was the odd man out at times

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ken's thinking, whenever he signed these deals, is that you just worry about those bloated years later. Exact quote from when he signed Abby: "If it's too long, you worry about it six years from now." Or let another GM buyout your bad deal. Either way.

In a different scenario, I agree with him. Just not with guys like Abby, ya know. But Kenny loves his piano pullers and if the rumors are true, Hyman might be hauling that McDavid piano in Edmonton for the better part of a decade.

If that's the case then I'm betting for a Holland firing in 2023. Then some of us Wings fans will get our long overdue Holland firing celebration.
giphy-downsized.gif

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Pagnotta linking Montreal and New Jersey to Bertuzzi. What about Kotkaniemi? Montreal has Danault and Suzuki and Evans already at C and Kotka was the odd man out at times
I like Kotkaniemi on our team. I'd be interested to see what kind of deal can be worked out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad