Rumor: Leafs interested in Bert + DET interested in Hyman? 1st post updated

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

Not sure where Friedman said this but it’s probably from a Toronto radio spot.

also from Friedman’s 31 Thoughts Column

7. Don’t know if it still works, but Toronto liked Tyler Bertuzzi this season — moving elsewhere when it became obvious he wasn’t going to be healthy. Barring a major change, Zach Hyman won’t be back with the Maple Leafs, a big loss for them. It’s expected Detroit will be among his pursuers, although the Red Wings won’t be the only ones.

Last edited:

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Not shocking. He’s going to be a hot commodity for teams that failed this playoffs.

Reactions: TheMule93

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I'd give them a signed Bert and a few late picks for Marner

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
And they'd tell you what you can do with that offer.

I know what my response would be if I were Toronto.

I don't know man, if you read the Leafs board or some of the threads on the trade board you'd think we could get Marner for future considerations. :sarcasm:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't know man, if you read the Leafs board or some of the threads on the trade board you'd think we could get Marner for future considerations.

Yeah, and you could get anyone not named Derek Jeter for a cup of gatorade off the Yankees whenever they lose in the playoffs. Fans are a reactionary sort. Even more so in ludicrously huge markets like Toronto is for hockey. I have no doubt a big portion of their fanbase wants to jettison Matthews, Marner, and Tavares for a Tim Horton's coffee... except when it's the regular season and they want McDavid, Draisaitl, and a 1st for one of them.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Has Marner soured on the Leafs brass that much? I would have thought he was worth significantly more.

He has not. They're not talking about Marner for a package with Bertuzzi. This is certainly more directed at a Mikheyev or Amirov based package.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Is Marner as valuable without Matthews or Tavares as his center? I get the feeling that if he were on Detroit we're seeing a 20-40-60 soft as brie cheese winger instead of the guy that ran up the score in the north division.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
The issue with Bert is you need to sign him to a deal with term without knowing how much impact the back injury will have on his career.

I don’t think you trade him just to trade him, but if you can get a solid return, I think you make a deal now and let the receiving team handle the next contract.

Reactions: SoupGuru

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Pretty clear that Toronto is eyeing up every potential player who slots in to the money that they would have used to sign Hyman (4-5M/year), of which Bert is up there in terms of quality of player and intangibles. The Leafs have no one in their prospect pool that I would bother with, at this point, and if other teams found out that SY was shopping Bert, someone else would give us a much better offer.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Hirvonen and 2022 first

Or Amirov and a 1st round pick.

I feel like the Wings could get these or maybe a little more, but I may be overvaluing Bert.

The Leafs have the assets to pull off the trade. With say Robertson & Sandin in the top tier; then 2022 1st Amirov, Dermott, & Liljegren in the next tier; and then Hirvonen, Ovchinnikov, Abramov, and Niemelä in the next. I don't think we'd get Robertson or Sandin, but maybe 2022 1st + Liljegren + Ovchinnikov. Though after reading it over it does sound like a lot, so maybe I should lower my expectations :laugh:

Reactions: APV

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'd do it for Liljegren+1st.
I think Liljegren is not going to make an NHL roster. He feels like the Charles Hudon of defensemen. Looks like he should do well, but never really does. And the 2022 1st might as well be a 2nd rounder, although with how deep that draft is, it could be okay. I think we can do better than this if other teams are interested.

Reactions: David D

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
The trade rumors shouldn't be surprising. Bertuzzi went to arbitration last year. Players who go to arbitration rarely stay with their teams long term.

Reactions: 14ari13 and lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad