Rumor: Leafs interested in Bert + DET interested in Hyman? 1st post updated

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-7-16_17-17-44.png

(interdimensional being enters the thread)

We didn't want you 2 to find out this way, at least not yet, but 1 of you is a clone of the other. I hope that explains things & clears up any confusion. (we did have a big reveal party planned, but we'll do something even better now.) :DD

And now, back to our regularly scheduled hockey discussion.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
i know it’s gonna look like I’m agreeing with you just to agree with you. It truly is eerie how similarly we think about hockey. But I did just say this exact thing (in different words) in a different topic.

It's because we've seen the world of hockey from the best perspective on the ice.

It's why Ken Holland is a Hall of Fame GM. And Ron Hextall will follow him. And Jeff Blashill is going to lead us to the promised land. They all have that perspective you just can't find anywhere else.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
It's because we've seen the world of hockey from the best perspective on the ice.

It's why Ken Holland is a Hall of Fame GM. And Ron Hextall will follow him. And Jeff Blashill is going to lead us to the promised land. They all have that perspective you just can't find anywhere else.

Attachments

• 4cakAjl.gif
    4cakAjl.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Coaching staff was Babcock, Paul McLean, Todd McLellan.
McLean and McLellan went on to become very successful coaches in the NHL. The assistants that Babcock replaced them with were B level or worse. Remember Tom Renney and Bill "likes to throw the N word around" Peters? Or Jim Hiller and Tony Granato? Awesome strategists there. We got Blashill out of the deal, though!

I agree with most of this post but Jim Hiller actually was a pretty good assistant hire so not sure why you're bringing him into it

the Wings went from having a good powerplay to having 3 consecutive years in the bottom half of the league after MacLean left and it was pretty obvious that Babcock was just sticking to what wasn't working and not listening to anyone that got brought in

then they bring in Hiller and immediately change up how things are done and jump to having the second best powerplay in the league

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don't buy Kenny is gonna toss 8 years at Hyman, there's no way...
Yeah. I can't imagine Kenny giving up an asset just for an 8th year. Holland is negotiating against himself with that kind of tomfoolery.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
That would be the prototypical Holland move, panic after a setback and overpay for what you think the fix is.

The cap is going to stay steady for a long time and may even shrink. I will lol for the next 8 years if Kenny signs Hyman for 8 years at 6 per.

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
That would be the prototypical Holland move, panic after a setback and overpay for what you think the fix is.

The cap is going to stay steady for a long time and may even shrink. I will lol for the next 8 years if Kenny signs Hyman for 8 years at 6 per.

I’ll just never understand Holland, his moves or how he keeps a job.

Reactions: golffuul

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think Hyman is significantly more valuable than Abdemader, but signing any player long-term who gets into those tough areas and sacrifices their body that much to make plays is a gigantic risk. I will be surprised if Hyman can continue to be as effective as he gets into his 30s. Do not want, and Holland shouldn’t either unless he thinks he has the pieces in place to make a run (I certainly don’t).

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Gross. I will still defend Holland to the grave but I would be furious if Yzerman did that. I think Holland is finding its alot harder to attract Quality Free Agents to Edmonton and the only way to get assets is trade or overpay.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think all "better" UFAs (and yes, Hyman is one of the better ones in this class) are by definition overpaid, at least with respect to term. The market is distorted that much. He will get a seven or eight year deal if only because there isn't a hell of a lot out there in this class that is better. This is the primary reason I don't want Yzerman swimming in the deep end of the UFA pool while others do. The small depth signings are the only good value in the UFA classes, but those guys aren't going to move the needle, only bump it a tad.

Unfortunately for Kenny, the pressure is there to win now and he needs to improve his club. I don't see it happening without some pain like this. People are acting like he subjectively wants to sign Hyman to an eight year contract.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Holland just lost Larsson
It's not clear that he's got more than 2 NHL defenseman on his roster.
He's playing $6.5M for Neal and Lucic.

He's got $11M to sign at least 1 RD, a goalie and a winger.
He should be saving his pennies for Day 3-4 of UFA, when players get nervous and start accepting small, short-term deals.
He can get high value and he can sell McDavid and Drai as centers who can help these wayward UFAs restore value.
Instead, he looks hung up on destroying the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad