Rumor: Leafs interested in Bert + DET interested in Hyman? 1st post updated

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's crazy how Holland has basically run his whole 11 year cap era playoff streak Red Wings playbook in Edmonton in just over two years:

-Started by making some safe cheap reclamation projects to get some depth with little cap room
-Thinks having an old former Blackhawks top Dman is beneficial to the team
-Leans on an old goalie as his starter
-Signed a top free agent to only a one year deal
-Brought in guys he's familiar with both in signings and deadline trades
-Let guys slip to unrestricted free agency and just kinda say "we'll see"
-Overpay his own guys
-Overpay/term B-tier free agents

It's unfortunate because I had hopes maybe the guy could redeem himself in the beginning when he was able to get rid of Lucic and stuck with some cheap signings, but man it's not looking good now...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It's crazy how Holland has basically run his whole 11 year cap era playoff streak Red Wings playbook in Edmonton in just over two years:

-Started by making some safe cheap reclamation projects to get some depth with little cap room
-Thinks having an old former Blackhawks top Dman is beneficial to the team
-Leans on an old goalie as his starter
-Signed a top free agent to only a one year deal
-Brought in guys he's familiar with both in signings and deadline trades
-Let guys slip to unrestricted free agency and just kinda say "we'll see"
-Overpay his own guys
-Overpay/term B-tier free agents

It's unfortunate because I had hopes maybe the guy could redeem himself in the beginning when he was able to get rid of Lucic and stuck with some cheap signings, but man it's not looking good now...

All that's left is the debut of Dan Cleary in an Oilers sweater.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
We definitely need to be pursuing Jake Bean.
I'd be shocked if the Canes deal him, unless Hamilton returns.

If Hamilton returns, then I definitely see the Canes being open to moving Bean to fill a hole.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
All that's left is the debut of Dan Cleary in an Oilers sweater.

I've got money on Cleary 2.0 debuting for the Oilers this fall

180px-Darren_Helm_with_Stanley_Cup_Cropped.jpg

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
What kinda sucks about Yzerman is that he runs such a tight ship that no one will even speculate about the moves the Wings are involved in until they announce it. So no one has any idea what they’re working on

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
What kinda sucks about Yzerman is that he runs such a tight ship that no one will even speculate about the moves the Wings are involved in until they announce it. So no one has any idea what they’re working on

Sometimes those things happen on the spot, and unlike Holland, Yzerman has the kahunas to pull those triggers if he thinks it will improve the team. I'm not gonna complain, his moves got TB back to back cups, I'll trust his judgement.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Sometimes those things happen on the spot, and unlike Holland, Yzerman has the kahunas to pull those triggers if he thinks it will improve the team. I'm not gonna complain, his moves got TB back to back cups, I'll trust his judgement.
I’m not complaining, I trust Yzerman, just sucks that there are literally zero rumors or speculation out there when we know he’s going to be working on something. Hard to be patient

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’m not complaining, I trust Yzerman, just sucks that there are literally zero rumors or speculation out there when we know he’s going to be working on something. Hard to be patient
I honestly don't expect him to be working on all that much. Some minor deals to round out the roster I guess.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I honestly don't expect him to be working on all that much. Some minor deals to round out the roster I guess.

I always expect him to be working on a ton. Working on it doesn't mean he makes the move... but you don't get to where Yzerman does wtih moves like dealing Mantha at the TDL without laying some serious groundwork throughout the year and maintaining ALL the relationships.

That's how you get actual good deals. When the moves come out of nowhere like the Mantha deal, a lot of times, that's because Yzerman wants to make a deal but the discussions go in a way where the guy dealing with him thinks it was his idea. Like Washington wanted Mantha, Yzerman wasn't pushing to sell Mantha.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This isn't so true though. Plenty of beat writers & the MSM speculate on all teams. Though the Wings do get less a bit less of these types of articles, they do happen.

Also, great username "Better Red than Dead" !!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I always expect him to be working on a ton. Working on it doesn't mean he makes the move... but you don't get to where Yzerman does wtih moves like dealing Mantha at the TDL without laying some serious groundwork throughout the year and maintaining ALL the relationships.
Haha yeah. Didn't mean to imply he's being lazy. Just don't see us doing the "big splash" moves, beyond Leddy that is. But it's Yzerman so who knows if he has something up his sleeve.

Slim

Nov 2, 2014
Up north
Haha yeah. Didn't mean to imply he's being lazy. Just don't see us doing the "big splash" moves, beyond Leddy that is. But it's Yzerman so who knows if he has something up his sleeve.

I am with you completely. I do not see us do any major moves that will improve us in a grand way that so many seem to expect. I feel it has been pretty clear from the start of SY reign that this will take time, probably at least until 2023, if we get lucky in next years draft. Personally, I am not betting on any draft luck and think that 24 is the year where we see SY start working in a way some people seem to expect, or have expected for the last two years.

It is my belief that SY has just been laying the foundation: aquiring draft picks, creating a mindset in the organisation (both through players he picks/trades for, as well as staff), doing small tweaks that will at least allow us to be a bit competative and not have another shamful year as 19/20 and at the same time creating a culture and style of play that he wants in place when the action starts. If our top prospects develop in an amazing way and beat the expectations we have, maybe we will see some serious moves from Yzerman a tad earlier, but even then I doubt it.

Why do I believe this? It is basically what Stevie has said from the start and has been repeating constantly since then. In the meantime I think he will continue to do all he can to do small, smart moves that increases the chances for us to reach the so called starting line and leave the rebuild. I have full confidence and no doubt that SY is looking at the long picture and is trying to put us in a place where we will have many consecutive years competing for the cup, which will increase our chances to bring Stanley home. There are so many factors and freak things that come alive in the playoffs, being the best team is no guarantee at all, but by having a great team for many consecutive years will increase the chances of success. I would not change our GM for anybody else right now and I have yet to see a move from SY that I could not agree with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad