Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed W Ilya Mikheyev to a 1 year ELC

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Zaitsev is much more competent defensively. But he is small and thin guy not suited for puck battles. At least he tried though. You want me to compare Zaitsev to Reilly? 15 vs 11 hits in the playoffs. Yes, you got 11 hits from your number 1 dman in 7 games. That's ca. 0.35 if compared to Zaitsev. Compare him to McAvoy with his 2.14 hits per game (Chara with 2.14 and even Krug 1.6) in the playoffs. And McAvoy hits much harder. That's my simple math for you. You need fighters, not lovers to win in the playoffs.

I wonder how Lidstrom's hits per game would have looked?

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
So how bout that Mikheyev?

Still playing for Toronto next season. In his latest interview Mikheev mentioned Babcock influence. Apparently Babcock contacted him via social media and they talked on the phone once or twice. Spoke highly of his coach Bob Hartley who prepared him for the NHL.

Reactions: Eric bungay

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
You are entitled to your opinion gentlemen. Time will tell. We can return to this later.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Don't know if anybody posted it yet but there's an 11 or 12 minute highlight video on youtube of this guy basically just driving the net non-stop. Something we desperately need and hopefully he can do some of the same in the NHL.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Are you for real? DId Morgan bullied you when you guys were young? Or did he steal your crush or something? Even Gary Lawless won’t make a claim saying Reilly is a No.3-4Dman on a good team. Beside Bruins and the Sharks, all the teams ahead of Leafs in the regular season are out of the playoffs and some even got swept in the 1st round. If Leafs is not a good team, I guess there must be only 2-3 good teams in the NHL. On top of that, Reilly got back to back 50pts season, actually over 70pts this year and is top5 in Norris voting.

Even on bad teams there are guys that score a lot. And Leafs are not a bad team. They are a not good enough team. Could Rielly play on top pair on a championship team? Absolutely. With young Sid as their first center for instance. Depends on context.
When a team loses in the playoffs you have to look hard at your core and understand who is the weakest link. I see Reilly as such. Sorry, I am not a believer. A year ago no insider would call Reilly number one dman. He gets a lot of points and of the sudden he is a god. Sorry, he is not. He still can't play good defense.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yea it was the first I've seen but I came away really impressed. He won't be able to pull off all of those moves at the NHL level but he's definitely not afraid of the front of the net.
definitely, he looks better than I anticipated. For a KHL'er, he seems to always be operating in a crowd and uses his body well to defend the puck which also being a very good harasser of the puck carrier when he doesn't have it. Good hands, nice wheels....it looks like there's reason for optimism. He could bust here but might have some good upside too. Good skating and high processing speed are what I think are the most important attributes for a player in the NHL, and it looks like he has both

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
I'm 100% sure Mikheyev makes the NHL Roster this year.
You don't sign a 24-year old KHLer to an NHL contract to not play him in the bigs.
This guy's defensive game is insanely good and underrated

Here are the things I'm concerned about him after watching his film:

1) His skating and edge-work are a little raw. He doesn't have the best control.
2) His puck handling is also raw, I am under the assumption that he will be given a "Hyman-like" role on Matthews' wing, thus, it's essential he has good hands to finish.
3) Can he be a good playmaker? If he's playing in the top 6, he's gotta be a playmaker. I haven't watched enough film of him to say that he's a good playmaker, I've only watch clips of him scoring.

Why are these points important? When transitioning to a smaller NHL ice, from the KHL, edgework and puckhandling are crucially important. On smaller ice you need more finesse, because, you have much less ice to work with.

Hopefully all goes well for him. He does look like a future solid-NHL player though.
If all goes good for him and he sticks on Matthews' wing somehow. With his power-prowess, expect him to clean up Matthews' rebounds and get ~25 goals. Expect him to be an expert on: tip ins, rebounds, odd man rushes, etc.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Marner is a fine player but you've got to be kidding if you think he's not benefiting from playing with Tavares a franchise level 1C and Hyman our most physical puck retrieving LW

Marner makes guys playing with him better just like those guys have helped elevate his game

Funny that, and trying to instill some realism into some of you doesn't mean you actually dislike the player

Marner is a fine player but **** off he's worth the Matthews contract as has been his reported ask, just **** right off

"Marner is a fine player." Way to discredit yursef right off the hop.

Where did I say marner is not benefiting from playing with tavares?

But take into account, if marner wasn't playing with jt then auston would have taken the opposing teams top defenders freeing up marner. Auston was very sheltered this season and yet barely finished above ppg.

Saying "marner is a fine player" is bad enough. He is a great player already. You dont get 90+ points being "fine".

"As reported" you're on a roll man rofl

Auston matthews doesn't deserve his contract so I agree marner is not worth that much but please link me to actual proof that marner is asking for matthews money.

I'll wait.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

But take into account, if marner wasn't playing with jt then auston would have taken the opposing teams top defenders freeing up marner. Auston was very sheltered this season and yet barely finished above ppg.

Saying "marner is a fine player" is bad enough. He is a great player already. You dont get 90+ points being "fine".

Auston matthews doesn't deserve his contract so I agree marner is not worth that much but please link me to actual proof that marner is asking for matthews money.

I'll wait.

Marner is a fine player genius, that means he's really good, just like Matthews is a fine player

Matthews was on pace for about 50 goals and over PPG this season, that is elite goal scoring, elite and Marner isn't even in the same conversation in that regard

Not even ******* close

Go and have a read of the transcript of his agent and father when they went into the media, then go and read almost every reputable reporter who's written about it his contract demands

Your about to have your mind blown, if your in here discussing this why haven't you done that already I've got to ask?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
This guy is an NHL player. He's got enough skills to line up in the top six IMO.

The only issue I can see with him is his selfishness with the puck, however if given an opportunity to play with other skilled players he might actually make a pass.

Looks like he can play both wings too.
There were a few plays there where he had every right to shoot, and passed instead.

He seems like money on a breakaway or penalty shot. Obviously it’s hard to tell because they’re not going to show too many missed chances, but he had a number of different moves he could go to. Not a one trick pony.

My concern is his ability to get loose that much on smaller ice. TO’s system might help with that, but he’ll probably need some time to adjust. Seemed to hold his own with a few guys on him though, so that’s a positive.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

I'll wait.
Saying Matthews was barely above PPG is disingenuous. He was on a 88 point pace, same as Tavares, 6 behind Marner... without a similar caliber linemate(thanks, Willy), recovering from injury/playing with a hurt back, and in the center position.

Reactions: Jeypic

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Marner is a fine player genius, that means he's really good, just like Matthews is a fine player

Matthews was on pace for about 50 goals and over PPG this season, that is elite goal scoring, elite and Marner isn't even in the same conversation in that regard

Not even ******* close

Go and have a read of the transcript of his agent and father when they went into the media, then go and read almost every reputable reporter who's written about it his contract demands

Your about to have your mind blown, if your in here discussing this why haven't you done that already I've got to ask?

Lol so you have no proof that marner is actually asking for matthews money and yet keep spouting off like a loud mouth. Noted.

Matthews started off the season with like 17 goals in 21 games. He was under ppg for most of the season after his crazy hot start. His ppg was literally going down as the season went along.

If you have no proof for your claims then run along

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Saying Matthews was barely above PPG is disingenuous. He was on a 88 point pace, same as Tavares, 6 behind Marner... without a similar caliber linemate(thanks, Willy), recovering from injury/playing with a hurt back, and in the center position.

How is it disingenuous when he finished with 1.07 ppg? He was barely over ppg and was declining rapidly since his first 21 games.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

This poster does not believe in rate stats because they make Matthews contract look fair, and that does not suit her narrative. She won’t budge, I tried.

Instead we must penalise Matthews for not scoring from the bench.

Reactions: Menzinger

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This poster does not believe in rate stats because they make Matthews contract look fair, and that does not suit her narrative. She won’t budge, I tried.

Instead we must penalise Matthews for not scoring from the bench.
This 100%.

We are 3 years into Matthews career and we have yet to see him play normal offensive minutes/usage that other players of his caliber receive.

Matthews had much more negotiation power than people want to believe.

Reactions: Menzinger and mavis

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
This 100%.

We are 3 years into Matthews career and we have yet to see him play normal offensive minutes/usage that other players of his caliber receive.

Matthews had much more negotiation power than people want to believe.

He got about 10% less than Malkin, and produced slightly less overall 5v5, except a shit ton more goal scoring. He got a lot less PP time. Overall fair deal.

I don’t think posters truly appreciate how much PP time a player needs on a torrid team PP to get awarded an art ross tbh

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He got about 10% less than Malkin, and produced slightly less overall 5v5, except a **** ton more goal scoring. He got a lot less PP time. Overall fair deal.
If I'm Matthews' agent the very first thing I'm bringing up is why isn't my client playing 1:30 on the PP's with the team's best players just like all other comparables do.

Had our coach just employed proper usage of Matthews, this debate wouldn't have raged on so much. But since we have to deal with wonky hypothetical numbers because Babcock purposely limits his offensive usage, we have this ridiculous debate.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If I'm Matthews' agent the very first thing I'm bringing up is why isn't my client playing 1:30 on the PP's with the team's best players just like all other comparables do.

Had our coach just employed proper usage of Matthews, this debate wouldn't have raged on so much. But since we have to deal with wonky hypothetical numbers because Babcock purposely limits his offensive usage, we have this ridiculous debate.

Rate stats are less wonky than ppg and total season points imo.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Rate stats are less wonky than ppg and total season points imo.
To an extent, but it really comes down to context.

For example, if Matthews experienced normal usage last season, he would have played 1:10 - 1:30 on the 1st PP unit with the best PP producer on the team Marner and would have likely had much better point totals. Just like how every other team does it.

Instead, he gets shoehorned into a dysfunctional 2nd PP unit with Nylander and some mixture of Brown/Komarov/Marleau and it artificially reduced his overall production.

You can't put out enough rate stats to properly quantify just how much Matthews' production was artificially limited by this strange usage by his coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00