Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed W Ilya Mikheyev to a 1 year ELC

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's a lock for the roster unless he ****s the bed in camp. LW depth is barren even if you assume AJ is back.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Sorry for bumping a 2 month old thread. But rather than starting a new one.

With Zaitsev officially gone, is there anyone in the organization that speaks Russian or does anyone know if Mikheyev is bilingual? The leafs obviously have the money to hire someone that can help him adjust. That last thing they need is a player struggling because he is alone in a new country. It's happened so many times.

It's a huge problem in baseball, and has been in hockey too.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

With Zaitsev officially gone, is there anyone in the organization that speaks Russian or does anyone know if Mikheyev is bilingual? The leafs obviously have the money to hire someone that can help him adjust. That last thing they need is a player struggling because he is alone in a new country. It's happened so many times.

These motherstuddas ain't gon even have to talk. Hockey players is pretty low key on the IQ departement. Ain't even no thang, they only know about ice hockey. Coaches are what are doing the talking. They open their mouths. So yeah mayne, to answer your question: Mikheynev is gon keeping his mouth SHUT. He aint doing the talking, just playing the small black puck and seeing. He might say like yes and no every now and then. But he ain't paid to do that. Marner and matthews is not worried, they gon just laugh when the man speaks. Its all good for the atmosphere and chemistry.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Important to note that he shoots left. Could be a good Marleau replacement.

Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Mikheyev - Nylander - Bracco

Moore - GOAT - Marchment

I think you missed the Spezza signing lol? also Kerfoot and Barrie (assume this post was before the trade)

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Marner Tavares Hyman< (Perhaps Bracco? until Hyman is recovered)
Mikheyev Spezza/Kerfoot Kapanen
Moore Goat/Petan Marchment
Goat/Petan
Bracco

Rielley Barrie
Muzzin Dermott (Ceci until Dermott is recovered)
Ceci/ Lilegren (sheltered hard)
Borgman

Andersen
Hutch

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think you missed the Spezza signing lol? also Kerfoot and Barrie (assume this post was before the trade)

Goat/Petan
Bracco

Rielley Barrie
Borgman

Andersen
Hutch
The post you quoted was from April.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
people are also going off this season, with his lackluster performance, giveaways, and that huge contract... dont blame the posters who want him gone.... we all see potential just a little pissed that he did not deliver, I hope he turns it around, but now you are just betting on potential vs results.

Im betting on potential...the guy didn't get this far without being a gamer...and you bet he sees everything said about him...I think Nylander plays like a man possessed this year...if not...trade him for a bag of pucks or some water bottles...
Like I said though...just a funny feeling that dude is going to make his contract look like a cheap cheap signing

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
These motherstuddas ain't gon even have to talk. Hockey players is pretty low key on the IQ departement. Ain't even no thang, they only know about ice hockey. Coaches are what are doing the talking. They open their mouths. So yeah mayne, to answer your question: Mikheynev is gon keeping his mouth SHUT. He aint doing the talking, just playing the small black puck and seeing. He might say like yes and no every now and then. But he ain't paid to do that. Marner and matthews is not worried, they gon just laugh when the man speaks. Its all good for the atmosphere and chemistry.

Personally, I nominate El Señor Martinez and his linguistic mastery to serve as Mikheyev's interpreter

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Goat/Petan
Bracco

Rielley Barrie
Borgman

Andersen
Hutch

I think your looking for Kerfoot to take over the 3C spot. Spezza has been signed for 4C and PP duty. He is also good on the draws which makes him a situational C. Unfortunately unless Mikheyev comes out balls a blazing he will start on the 4th line. It will be up to Moore and Johnsson to play LW roles with either Matthews or Kerfoot. Personally would love to see Moore on line with Matthews and Nylander.

Moore-Mathews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Mikheyev-Spezza-Marchment

As for D, I don't see Reilly and Barrie being a great fit. Would rather see Ceci with Reilly and Muzzin with Barrie. Ceci I believe can be a better player with Reilly who can exit the zone and is above average defensively. Barrie with Muzzin will be our shutdown pair. Barrie isn't as bad defensively as Gardiner but about the same if not better the Gardiner in the defensive zone. All in all our D is upgraded. D should be:

Reilly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Llijegren OR Harpur-Dermott

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I think your looking for Kerfoot to take over the 3C spot. Spezza has been signed for 4C and PP duty. He is also good on the draws which makes him a situational C. Unfortunately unless Mikheyev comes out balls a blazing he will start on the 4th line. It will be up to Moore and Johnsson to play LW roles with either Matthews or Kerfoot. Personally would love to see Moore on line with Matthews and Nylander.

Moore-Mathews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Mikheyev-Spezza-Marchment

As for D, I don't see Reilly and Barrie being a great fit. Would rather see Ceci with Reilly and Muzzin with Barrie. Ceci I believe can be a better player with Reilly who can exit the zone and is above average defensively. Barrie with Muzzin will be our shutdown pair. Barrie isn't as bad defensively as Gardiner but about the same if not better the Gardiner in the defensive zone. All in all our D is upgraded. D should be:

Reilly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Llijegren OR Harpur-Dermott

I hear you...but do you really dump Dermott back to the 3rd pairing? I feel like he is an upgrade on Ceci (who seems to need to be sheltered in his minutes based off his time in OTT)

I don't know...the D is definitely better but there are really no clear partnerships based on play styles...the idea of Ceci getting hard minutes scares me lol

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

This might be the best post I read today.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I wonder how much Russian Shore learned while in the KHL ;)

I also wonder if Timashov could be a 13th guy for us, but that would leave us with the same issue with Korshkov on the Marlies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I hear you...but do you really dump Dermott back to the 3rd pairing? I feel like he is an upgrade on Ceci (who seems to need to be sheltered in his minutes based off his time in OTT)

I don't know...the D is definitely better but there are really no clear partnerships based on play styles...the idea of Ceci getting hard minutes scares me lol

I'd think Ceci is probably ahead of Dermott, especially given the don't play the same side, naturally.
Ceci has played well at times in this league as a top 4, notably when his team and defensive partner wasn't an unmitigated dumpster fire. I feel like his chances of bouncing back with more suitable minutes & better support/teammates are very good

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hope this guy isn't another Par Lindholm. Believe Par was automatically handed over a spot on our roster by Babs and that didn't turn out too well.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Who did Ceci play with in Ottawa? Chabot? A rookie. Going to be great but a rookie. His last year of playing solid hockey was when he played with Phaneuf and they got far in the playoffs that season. Since then he has played with nobody in Ottawa. Last season regardless of playing with Chabot, the entire Ottawa team was horrible, coaching staff and team.

I think Ceci needed a reboot, and playing with someone like Reilly might actually be the secret potion. Everyone on this board has wanted a Reilly-Dermott tandem since last season. I think Ceci is a Dermott type of player only bigger. The guy blocks shots, can skate and has some potential. Lets see what happens, but I can see Dermott being sheltered when he comes back so he can get up to speed. Hopefully by then Ceci and Reilly have become a solid pairing. Everyone should be hoping for this.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hope this guy isn't another Par Lindholm. Believe Par was automatically handed over a spot on our roster by Babs and that didn't turn out too well.

I have seen this guy play he is way better then Lindholm. You will all be surprised. Great get by the Leafs.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Since Hyman will likely still be in recovery mode when the season starts, Mikheyev may actually get some time on one of the scoring lines.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Most of you are going to be pleasantly surprised with Ceci. He adds a ton of man strength to our back end. And he has a subdued temper but god love ya if he goes awol.

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
thanks looks good, like his wheels and i'm sure that's what gets babs excited

but we're not actually going to let him play with #66 are we?
No 66 for him is my bet. He looks like a skilled guy who attacks the middle of the ice something we are missing from our wingers other then Marner. If he can adjust he looks like a good winger who can play with skilled players. Good replacement for Hyman to start with or perhaps with Mathews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad