Rumor: Leafs have inquired about C Luke Glendening

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Even i8f they offered a 2nd, I was told so many times in the Boyle trade that second rounders mean nothing
I think Boyle is better than Glendening, I'd be very surprised if he got a 2nd after all the negotiation.

Who are Glendening's line mates currently? Are they better than Kap and Leo and can he use them better than Moore can? If so I wouldn't mind the trade to upgrade the 4th line.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We offered a 5th for Glendening. They want a 2nd.

We’ll meet in the middle with Trevor or Dominic Moore and a 4th

Reactions: Keon1963

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think Boyle is better than Glendening, I'd be very surprised if he got a 2nd after all the negotiation.

Who are Glendening's line mates currently? Are they better than Kap and Leo and can he use them better than Moore can? If so I wouldn't mind the trade to upgrade the 4th line.

Tyler Bertuzzi and Martin Frk

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Boyle was WAY better than Glendening.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
They really like Glendening, so I assume good

I've read enough of them hoping Glendenning and his contract are sent to the Leafs and his old coach post haste. They are expecting to have a good chuckle when that happens.

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Hockey media hass to be some of the dumbest media in all of sports. How can anyone even think that makes sense enough to report it?

Worse was the story I saw on the Avalanche Fangraph site I didn't click on, because the title was "Colorado should trade Tyson Barrie to Toronto for Mitch Marner". Just no.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
This could be a sure deal.

It was the Soshnikov trade. Who saw that coming?

Suddenly, there is a spot open with the available contracts.

The coach wants this player. Now that the entire league knows, not sure if anyone else will step forward in a bidding war with the Leafs for a bottom 6 player.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If this trade actually happens ... next year ...

Marleau - Matthews - Hyman
Kamorov - Kadri - Marner
Kapanan - Nylander - Glenndening
Hyman - Hyman - Hyman

Forgot about Downtown Conner Brown again. Damn, the Leafs are deep.

:naughty:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This would be absolutely trump huge for our rear ends in the future. Glendeling is a real king who pushes people around and scores on the PK. He doing thangs and moving thangs. Big time. We need that sucka, hard.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This would be absolutely trump huge for our rear ends in the future. Glendeling is a real king who pushes people around and scores on the PK. He doing thangs and moving thangs. Big time. We need that sucka, hard.
I'm for this deal if the price is right.
It solves our 4C moving forward.
He's 28 with 3 years remaining.
Not a rental. He's a righty and that gives us 2 lefties-2 righties at C. He knows Babs, system transition time should be minimal. Can PK, has speed and would look good with Leo/Kappy.
We just need to find a 3C next year or move Willy to C.
Matthews
Kadri
3C or Willy
Glendening
This works for me.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It’s a strong likelihood at this point, will depend on where the price is. Lou seems to be starting low (apparently offering a 5th) and I don’t think many Gm’s can beat Lou in a negotiation, so I’ll bet we are all satisfied with the price.

Luke Glendening would be a fantastic add;

- Great in the draws
- speed
- another good option on the PK
- scoring at a 25 point pace on the 4th line of a low scoring team.
- His analytics, despite a low CF% are strong otherwise. Very strong xGF% (essentially a better Corsi) high defensive zone starts
- draws penalties and doesn’t take much

People for seem reason seem to look at his overall Corsi and scream bloody murder, when that includes his PK Corsi lol.

His 5v5 is in the 46-47% range, which while not good, isn’t horrible awful and could go up to around 50, especially playing with a guy like Kapanen

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It’s a strong likelihood at this point, will depend on where the price is. Lou seems to be starting low (apparently offering a 5th) and I don’t think many Gm’s can beat Lou in a negotiation, so I’ll bet we are all satisfied with the price.

Luke Glendening would be a fantastic add;

- Great in the draws
- speed
- another good option on the PK
- scoring at a 25 point pace on the 4th line of a low scoring team.
- His analytics, despite a low CF% are strong otherwise. Very strong xGF% (essentially a better Corsi) high defensive zone starts
- draws penalties and doesn’t take much

People for seem reason seem to look at his overall Corsi and scream bloody murder, when that includes his PK Corsi lol.

His 5v5 is in the 46-47% range, which while not good, isn’t horrible awful and could go up to around 50, especially playing with a guy like Kapanen
to be honest, a 4th line of Johnsson - Glendening - Kapanen/Brown looks good to me

his cf% is lousy and his xgf% is actually subpar, but his team sucks so I don't want to put much stock into that. there's a very good chance he's better than Moore and Komarov atm

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I just think similar cost to acquire. I think this is a good move. He is a good defensive C, that works his tail off. He can replace Bozak, nevermind the 4th line. Kappy-Glendening-Brown. Jvr-Bozak duo is a black cloud hanging over this team. Its a no brainer to get a 1st rounder minimum for JVR.
Yeah agree with the one dude that's some crazy expectations for glendening. He is 28, 21 points career high, he has grit but still not that big or heavy of a player. So not much of a guy that will fight the fighters left in the league. I know some people don't care about that but I like to have a Matt Martin but who can play a Tom Wilson.
There a reason he makes what he makes, if he was able to play/produce like a 3rd line center making 1.8 he would be very valuable. Heck Pittsburgh is looking to add a C and that's with shearen scoring at a 40 pace last 20 odd games.
Expecting to replacing bozak with him is a terrible recipe for us. Even with all of bozie negatives, glendening offensive short comings pale in comparison.
We should be looking for bozie replacement if it's not nylander next couple season. Spend but do it for guys like Anisimov, Tierney (would be awesome), or haula(again awesome) etc. A long term solution that will play 3C untill Willie is ready. Then he will hopefully push everyone down a slot.
After watching tonight's game, definitely the Leafs should step up and pay the man to make this trade for Glendening.

This is the type of player that will thrive in Babcock's system. He is fast, he is big. Also, one old player, the coach wanted, it worked out good. Having Brown play anywhere on the team works out good. Babcock knows his players.

As for Bozak and JVR ... IMHO ... there is no way you can trade them at the moment. JVR - Bozak - Brown, all three could be playing their best hockey ever for the Leafs. The top three lines are set. This is the team they will be going into the playoffs with, barring injury.

The 4th line is incomplete. It is Kapanan. He is just not that good at grinding or checking, that part of the game he has not learned yet. He is better offensively than defensively. That is why the 4th line in it own zone looks out of sort. In the other zone it's alright, but generally the team is not counting on offense from the 4th line.

A 2nd draft choice for Glendening.

Or to make it interesting, Holl and a 3rd round draft choice for Glendening.

Maybe Carrick for Glendening, straight up.

Or Levio + 3rd round draft choice for Glendening provided the Red Wings eat part of the salary.

I think the more salary Detroit is willing to eat, the bigger the offer in draft choices could be coming.

Anyone else Babcock likes?
He is not big, I don't know why that keeps getting mentioned. Reminds me of the big number one center we needed in the 2012 draft and lots of people were calling galchunyuk that and he was 6ft then. He not comparable to Boyle because Boyle was a giant compared to him and Boyle would fight not good but he would. Glendening is not, 1 fighting major his whole career. I know fighting is not as needed as before but would be nice to have a someone that can play regularly and willing to drop the gloves when we get push around.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
to be honest, a 4th line of Johnsson - Glendening - Kapanen/Brown looks good to me

his cf% is lousy and his xgf% is actually subpar, but his team sucks so I don't want to put much stock into that. there's a very good chance he's better than Moore and Komarov atm

His 5v5 xGF% is top 3 on the Wings and over 50% on a lousy team. That’s not “subpar” in my books.

Also, his 5v5CF% is in between 46% and 47%. While not great, it’s not awful.

People need to stop only relying on the James Mirtle’s and Jeff Veilette’s of the world and do some of their own research. As smart as those guys can be with those numbers, they tend to cherry pick stats to form a narrative.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Another thing to consider. Glendening plays against stupid high quality of competition. Typically playing against top lines and top defenders.

Babcock matches our 4th line against other teams bottom 6 players, so Glendening would likely be more effective based on that alone

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
His 5v5 xGF% is top 3 on the Wings and over 50% on a lousy team. That’s not “subpar” in my books.

Also, his 5v5CF% is in between 46% and 47%. While not great, it’s not awful.

People need to stop only relying on the James Mirtle’s and Jeff Veilette’s of the world and do some of their own research. As smart as those guys can be with those numbers, they tend to cherry pick stats to form a narrative.
his xgf% is 49.7, although that is still 5th best among forwards. like you said though, bad team
his cf% is 45.4, which is 4th last among forwards on a bad team
he also doesnt deal with tough competition (ranks 8th among forwards)

he's gonna be better than Moore though so who really cares

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
his xgf% is 49.7, although that is still 5th best among forwards. like you said though, bad team
his cf% is 45.4, which is 4th last among forwards on a bad team
he also doesnt deal with tough competition (ranks 8th among forwards)

he's gonna be better than Moore though so who really cares

My numbers were as of like a week ago, and I think the last couple games were rough analytically so he must have fell a little bit.

A high majority of his minutes are against other teams top lines

Not sure how that is easy minutes

glendening_comp.PNG

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
My numbers were as of like a week ago, and I think the last couple games were rough analytically so he must have fell a little bit.

A high majority of his minutes are against other teams top lines

Not sure how that is easy minutes

glendening_comp.PNG
he ranks right in the middle of the pack for QoC Toi at 28.89
not easy minutes, but not too tough either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad