Rumor: Leafs have inquired about C Luke Glendening

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I feel like Glendening's contract is getting glossed over in this thread: He's signed at $1.8 million until 2021. That is a ridiculous amount of term and to those who think, well, we'll just dump him in two years... if there is any decline in his game at all, we may not be able to. Look no further than Lou's inability to move Eric Fehr this year, who coincidentially, is at the same age Glendening will be in the last year of his deal. That's the problem with players like those two and the reason you don't give term to 4th liners: They don't have to fall far before they are no longer useful NHL players. Not to mention... we have a major cap crunch coming in 2020. Having $4.3 million tied up in a 4C (Glendening) and 4LW (Martin) is atrocious cap management in a year when both Marner and Matthews are coming off their ELCs.

Agreed, I think the only way it makes sense is if Martin is going the other way.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He has shown that the he can guide the team to get better year after year while giving our young promising AHLers opportunities to come in at a time and situation where they will be successful (see: Detroit) as opposed to throw them into the wolves to flounder and lose confidence (see: Edmonton, Luke Schenn, Kadris first couple seasons).

None of that has any baring on a 4C getting 3 more years at 1.8M that he absolutely loved in Detroit and played a lot

Our kids don't play a ton now compared to the rest of the league so what the hell are we doing this for? Those kids are entering there primes they should be playing more not less and there carrying the team we don't need a 4C potentially eating more minutes than he should

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel like Glendening's contract is getting glossed over in this thread: He's signed at $1.8 million until 2021. That is a ridiculous amount of term and to those who think, well, we'll just dump him in two years... if there is any decline in his game at all, we may not be able to. Look no further than Lou's inability to move Eric Fehr this year, who coincidentially, is at the same age Glendening will be in the last year of his deal. That's the problem with players like those two and the reason you don't give term to 4th liners: They don't have to fall far before they are no longer useful NHL players. Not to mention... we have a major cap crunch coming in 2020. Having $4.3 million tied up in a 4C (Glendening) and 4LW (Martin) is atrocious cap management in a year when both Marner and Matthews are coming off their ELCs.

Martin is likely going to be traded, and Craig Custance (DET beat for The Athletic) has suggested DET may need to retain on Glendening's contract.

Term is 1-2 years longer than we'd like it to be, but if in 2 years, when the cap is likely 80M or higher, if 1.8M is stopping us from doing any sort of transaction, something else has gone seriously wrong.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
None of that has any baring on a 4C getting 3 more years at 1.8M that he absolutely loved in Detroit and played a lot

Our kids don't play a ton now compared to the rest of the league so what the hell are we doing this for? Those kids are entering there primes they should be playing more not less and there carrying the team we don't need a 4C potentially eating more minutes than he should

Who is Glendening blocking in the 4C and PK spot?

Reactions: deepz and Shanty

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Who is Glendening blocking in the 4C and PK spot?

The PK thing is nice but it's a luxury, were already one of the best PK teams in the league

We're talking about trading assets for a guy with a long contract to "fix" a position that hasn't been a problem since Babcock changed the lineup

So why the hell are we doing this in the first place when we can get a cheap UFA in the summer?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I see 0 need in spending resources on LG
Depends on the resource. If a guy like Leivo isn't going to play, I'd rather turn him into a center if the opportunity comes up. Having a 4C + Aaltonen/Gauthier fight it out is good. Plus you can move a center to wing but you can't move Leivo to center.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I'd be fine giving a 3rd and depth prospect. Sounds like he will require at least a 2nd though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I said before careful with who you acquire for this coach which isn't unreasonable when you look at personnel and player usage this year and throughout his career

But sure we can go your route and turn off our brains and hail our all knowing coaching overlord where everything is part of the plan, like Komarov on the second line playing 24 minutes and Polak suiting up most nights even though he sucks

Whoa hey, don’t let me get in the way of all that thinking you’re doing. Let’s not overwork our brains considering the possibility that there is a plan, let’s leave it to the thinkers to assume the professionals don’t have one. I hope you don’t hurt yourself not considering that the Leafs are dishing out minutes with an 82 game season in mind and not skating their top players into the ground in the first 2 3rds of the season. Instead let’s just use our brains and say 1st line most all situations minutes, 2nd line 2nd most All situations minutes. Don’t get a headache taking into consideration the new completely new sports science department and how it has drastically changed how player personnel decisions are made both for return from injuries and player longevity. So much so as that “stubborn” Babcock, once a “drive your best players into the ground” coach now evenly balances minutes. I hope you don’t risk passing out from not thinking about the scheduling, upcoming teams, home ice advantage and potential matchups that go into deciding when a kid should start playing his first game in the NHL and what kind of usage he should start with against which players.

Instead, we will leave it to the thinkers of Leafland to triumphantly parade into a PGT after a loss to flood us with their thinking of how Babcock lost us the game. For if at the end of the season the Leafs lose, they will do the hard work of telling us it is for these well thought out reasons; and if the Leafs win it all, they did not win it all hard enough.

To these thinking saviours of Leafland, I salute you.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Gauthier looked like a fringe player during his call-ups this season - just doesn't look like a consistent NHLer, which is why they are looking to upgrade that position.
I think the Leafs are done with the Goat to be honest. To me, it feels like the team gave him a good audition last time up to see what he could do, and he failed.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Whoa hey, don’t let me get in the way of all that thinking you’re doing. Let’s not overwork our brains considering the possibility that there is a plan, let’s leave it to the thinkers to assume the professionals don’t have one. I hope you don’t hurt yourself not considering that the Leafs are dishing out minutes with an 82 game season in mind and not skating their top players into the ground in the first 2 3rds of the season. Instead let’s just use our brains and say 1st line most all situations minutes, 2nd line 2nd most All situations minutes. Don’t get a headache taking into consideration the new completely new sports science department and how it has drastically changed how player personnel decisions are made both for return from injuries and player longevity. So much so as that “stubborn” Babcock, once a “drive your best players into the ground” coach now evenly balances minutes. I hope you don’t risk passing out from not thinking about the scheduling, upcoming teams, home ice advantage and potential matchups that go into deciding when a kid should start playing his first game in the NHL and what kind of usage he should start with against which players.

Instead, we will leave it to the thinkers of Leafland to triumphantly parade into a PGT after a loss to flood us with their thinking of how Babcock lost us the game. For if at the end of the season the Leafs lose, they will do the hard work of telling us it is for these well thought out reasons; and if the Leafs win it all, they did not win it all hard enough.

To these thinking saviours of Leafland, I salute you.

Yeah just like Komorov on the 2nd line, playing Martin and Polak for large parts of the season and sucking for two months while Andersen carried us

It's always part of the "plan", that's how you justify things to yourself when everything the coach does is correct because he's a superhuman that doesn't make mistakes

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Martin is likely going to be traded, and Craig Custance (DET beat for The Athletic) has suggested DET may need to retain on Glendening's contract.

Term is 1-2 years longer than we'd like it to be, but if in 2 years, when the cap is likely 80M or higher, if 1.8M is stopping us from doing any sort of transaction, something else has gone seriously wrong.

... and the Leafs just traded Fehr, so I suppose I stand corrected on that. I never meant in a way that the contract was Clarkson-esque (i.e. unmovable were it not for a very lucky set of circumstances), but that we would need to retain or send a sweetener to make it happen. Clearly I was wrong there too. I'll concede your point. The contract is still bad but nonetheless manageable... provided Matt Martin is moved.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think the Leafs are done with the Goat to be honest. To me, it feels like the team gave him a good audition last time up to see what he could do, and he failed.

Yeah, I tend to agree.

When you see Moore's ice time, it's quite clear they don't have much trust in him - especially because his wingers are average 2-3 minutes more than he is.

There's a Gauthier-sized hole in the lineup, waiting for him to take it, and he just hasn't. I don't think they'll give up on him just yet, purely because of his size and age, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just fizzled out from here and ended up being a toss-in in some larger trade.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yeah just like Komorov on the 2nd line, playing Martin and Polak for large parts of the season and sucking for two months while Andersen carried us

It's always part of the "plan", that's how you justify things to yourself when everything the coach does is correct because he's a superhuman that doesn't make mistakes

Yea knee-jerk personnel management, the thinkin-mans approach.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah, I tend to agree.

When you see Moore's ice time, it's quite clear they don't have much trust in him - especially because his wingers are average 2-3 minutes more than he is.

There's a Gauthier-sized hole in the lineup, waiting for him to take it, and he just hasn't. I don't think they'll give up on him just yet, purely because of his size and age, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just fizzled out from here and ended up being a toss-in in some larger trade.
It's almost 5 years since he was drafted, and he's turning 23. The window is closing, time is running out. What concerned me is Gauthier got worse during his stint, a couple games he looked like he didn't even belong. Plus, as you say Moore is whatever at this point, and yet Fred couldn't win a job.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's almost 5 years since he was drafted, and he's turning 23. The window is closing, time is running out. What concerned me is Gauthier got worse during his stint, a couple games he looked like he didn't even belong. Plus, as you say Moore is whatever at this point, and yet Fred couldn't win a job.

It is worth remembering that Gauthier has had some injury issues the past 2 seasons too.

No idea how significant those play into his current projection, but I'm generally with you - not really overly positive regarding his NHL chances here.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad