Proposal: Leafs/Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Philly declines. It’s not at all a knock on Matthews. We have been searching for our Provorov for a long time. He’s too important moving on to consider dealing. We’re high on Patrick and like the option of Coots,Patrick and eventually Frost down the middle. I honestly don’t think the difference in value between Matthews and Patrick is or will be Provorov anyway.

I’d also like to add this thread is unnecessary and will just lead to a pissing contest between Leaf and Flyers fans. Why bother??

Lopsided/unnecessary threads seem to be OPs specialty.

Reactions: pmwlker

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
of course they do. provorov hurts but matthews,giroux,couturier,voracek,konecny,and simmonds in the top 6?

that leap frogs them into the top 3 offenses

No, they really don't.

And being. Top 3 offensive team is great and all, but this just makes us the Oilers, or leads. Not interested.

Flyers have no need to rush the window. Matthews is a great player but the flyers avoid this deal like the plague.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
When i saw matthews, I anticipated a monster package of provorov,patrick,frost,myers,1st etc

this is just junk. 40g as a rookie and ppg+ playing a strong 2 way game year 2?
Matthews given his age and ability would probably be the 2nd most expensive player to acquire via trade

There iant a package in the NHL worth that package. But enjoy thinking you have a player that is, whatever delude world that is.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Easy pass as a Flyers fan. Toronto is also a much better team in 2 years if they make this deal when you factor in salaries and that they don’t have anyone of Provorov’s caliber.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
When i saw matthews, I anticipated a monster package of provorov,patrick,frost,myers,1st etc

this is just junk. 40g as a rookie and ppg+ playing a strong 2 way game year 2?
Matthews given his age and ability would probably be the 2nd most expensive player to acquire via trade
I wouldn't trade Provorov for Matthews straight up given team needs.

I'd think long and hard about a 1v1 trade in a vacuum at that.

You calling this "garbage" is laughable

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
The language in this thread is so telling it's hilarious. Matthews is just a 60 point forward but Patrick is a future 1C, and Provorov will be a Norris candidate for the next decade. Those definitely aren't biased takes at all...

Patrick isn't close to establishing himself as a 1C and Provorov has yet to get a single Norris vote. The potential is there, sure, but it's just potential right now.

Matthews is a top 5 goal scorer, #1 at even strength, and went over a point per game as a sophmore. He's also top 5 in takeaways and top 5 among forwards in defensive plays in his own end. Those are things that are true today.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Pretty funny to see Leaf fans get offended to see Flyer fans say no. :laugh:

But muh Matthews is almost as good as mcdavid!!!

Seriously... Norris potential D and a 19 year old second overall pick is for leaf fans to say someone would give up instantly if The jesus of hockey himself was on the table.

You all are seriously just too much :laugh:

(Obligatory “but it’s just leaf hate”)

Both teams decline imo

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
The language in this thread is so telling it's hilarious. Matthews is just a 60 point forward but Patrick is a future 1C, and Provorov will be a Norris candidate for the next decade. Those definitely aren't biased takes at all...

Patrick isn't close to establishing himself as a 1C and Provorov has yet to get a single Norris vote. The potential is there, sure, but it's just potential right now.

Matthews is a top 5 goal scorer, #1 at even strength, and went over a point per game as a sophmore. He's also top 5 in takeaways and top 5 among forwards in defensive plays in his own end. Those are things that are true today.
Such a nitpicky obscure, filtered stat. Why not just go with defensive plays in general? My guess is that it doesn't fit the agenda.

How many votes did Matthews get on any awards?

I'd say the likelihood of Provorov winning a Norris is better than Matthews winning the Hart or Art ross

Yes that is TRUE today. .

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
A lot of reactions but a polite no from the Leafs.

I've been a Provy mark and I sperged when the Leafs took Marner (even though after the Hunter hiring I knew we were taking Marner) and he's even better than I could have hoped for.

I'd still do Marner for Provorov but I don't think much of Patrick so Auston is too special of player to replace but honestly this proposal had me hesitate for a second which is a decent offer.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
No offense, but Matthews hasn't proven anything yet, so I don't know why he is "very rare." The guy hasn't even cracked 70 points in a season yet regardless of his injuries last season. Until he actually takes that next step, puts up 90+ points in a season and actually shows up in the playoffs, you can't consider him a generational talent, like most Leafs fan seem to think he already is.

As I said, the trade itself, hurts the Flyers. Hextall's two main pieces for his re-build are Provorov and Patrick. If the Flyers make that trade, yes they get Matthews, but then who is their #1 defenseman?
He's lead the league in ES goals per minute (hardest stat to lead the league in) since his first game in the NHL .

But he doesn't have a bunch of sissy second assists and PP points, cool story brah

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
remember, hfboards, it's leafs fans who are the biased homers around here.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
When Couturier got hurt and Dave Hakstol needed a 1C in playoff to face the best player in the world, he didn’t asked good old Claude Giroux to do it.

Instead, he trusted a 19 year old rookie.

That’s all you need to know.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah, as absolutely if the equalizer in value between Matthews and Provorov is Nolan Patrick.

Flyers do this with bells on, Dubas is executed by firing squad in maple leaf Square if this is even proffered.

They're fine players but really, let's trade a first overall kid who is career 0.5 GPG to address a need and hope we can pick another 1st or 2nd overall kid to take his place. Keep dreaming.

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Lol, with his 2 points and minus 5 in 6 games. His max potential is a good second line center and there is nothing wrong with that.

Ok pal. We won’t try and tell you how good your player can be and you do us the same. Patrick’s floor is of a #2 C, his ceiling is a top center.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Yeah, as absolutely if the equalizer in value between Matthews and Provorov is Nolan Patrick.

Flyers do this with bells on, Dubas is executed by firing squad in maple leaf Square if this is even proffered.

They're fine players but really, let's trade a first overall kid who is career 0.5 GPG to address a need and hope we can pick another 1st or 2nd overall kid to take his place. Keep dreaming.

Again, the Flyers don’t even entertain this idea. I know it’s been a while since then Leafs had legitimately good players but you’ve seemingly forgotten that others do too.

I honestly don’t even believe when all is said and done and careers are finished that Matthews would be THAT much better than Patrick. Certainly not with a big enough gap to be filled by Ivan freaking Provorov.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
:huh:
I don't recall Matthews (or any other Leaf) facing the Caps in the playoffs.
He did have 1G & 1A in 7 games against the Bruins though. (Patrick had the same in 6 games against the Pens).
:laugh:
Interesting how you brought up Patrick's injury just a few posts earlier but ignore Matthews' injury, which he apparently played with in the playoffs. I mean, since we're making excuses and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad