Proposal: Leafs/Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
yeah maybe, but I'd prefer to see him separate himself from Connor Brown offensively before I take him back as the main offensive piece in a trade for Matthews. Also I love how contradictory your two posts are. Yeah, Matthews is the guy here who has to prove himself

I never said Patrick doesn't have to prove himself. In fact, he's got a lot to prove this upcoming season

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
No offense, but Matthews hasn't proven anything yet, so I don't know why he is "very rare." The guy hasn't even cracked 70 points in a season yet regardless of his injuries last season. Until he actually takes that next step, puts up 90+ points in a season and actually shows up in the playoffs, you can't consider him a generational talent, like most Leafs fan seem to think he already is.

As I said, the trade itself, hurts the Flyers. Hextall's two main pieces for his re-build are Provorov and Patrick. If the Flyers make that trade, yes they get Matthews, but then who is their #1 defenseman?

Look up the list of players in the 25 years that have scored goals at the rate he does at that age and then tell me again that's he's not a rare talent. On top of being a complete center on top of it. It shouldn't take much typing to type out that list. And no I don't consider him generational at all, that tier is reserved for your Crosby's and McDavid's, but he's as close as you get to that tier without being in it.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The guy asked why they're giving up a #1D and a #1C. There is no #1C in the deal other than Matthews. What Patrick might become one day if everything goes right isn't really that relevant when he's only a year younger than Matthews who is already at Patrick's ceiling.

My point is that Matthews isn't worth Provorov and Patrick

Reactions: Adtar02 and pmwlker

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Look up the list of players in the 25 years that have scored goals at the rate he does at that age and then tell me again that's he's not a rare talent. On top of being a complete center on top of it. It shouldn't take much typing to type out that list. And no I don't consider him generational at all, that tier is reserved for your Crosby's and McDavid's, but he's as close as you get to that tier without being in it.

And we think the same thing about Provorov...which is why we wouldn't make the trade

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I must have missed the #1C you guys had in the deal. Did you mean the guy with 30 career points?

so we're going to play that game eh? Patrick is as much a 30 point player as Matthews is a 60 point player. Patrick has 1C potential. Matthews is better sure, but the gap between the two is nowhere near a 21 year old #1D.

we already have a 1C in Couturier, another one that is a potential 1C (Patrick), and one in the system that may someday be a 1C (Frost). not giving up our only #1D for something that is totally not needed. Philly passes easily.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
No offense, but Matthews hasn't proven anything yet, so I don't know why he is "very rare." The guy hasn't even cracked 70 points in a season yet regardless of his injuries last season. Until he actually takes that next step, puts up 90+ points in a season and actually shows up in the playoffs, you can't consider him a generational talent, like most Leafs fan seem to think he already is.

As I said, the trade itself, hurts the Flyers. Hextall's two main pieces for his re-build are Provorov and Patrick. If the Flyers make that trade, yes they get Matthews, but then who is their #1 defenseman?

He has 74 goals in 144 games and he showed up against the Capitals with 4 goals in 6 games.

Reactions: GatorDave

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
The guy asked why they're giving up a #1D and a #1C. There is no #1C in the deal other than Matthews. What Patrick might become one day if everything goes right isn't really that relevant when he's only a year younger than Matthews who is already at Patrick's ceiling.
I guess you don't know that this was the 1st off season healthy after 2 surgeries on a recurring abdominal injury suffered in junior (2nd 1 just before the draft) so he can finally train all summer like he wants to.
Probably also missed that he started playing much better after Christmas after the upper body injury after a hit to the head by Chris Wagner that caused him to miss 9 games had healed. 22 points in the last 33 games looks pretty good. Like the team he started slow but hit his stride later.
Just a little background to help you make more informed posts. It's always nice to know the circumstances behind someone's play. :)

Obviously right now Matthews is better than Patrick but the difference isn't Provolov.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Matthews is definitely a top 10 Center in the league, but this doesn’t really do anything for the Flyers.

Matthews and Couturier would be an amazing 1-2 punch, but not at the cost of Provorov. After Ghost we don’t have anyone remotely good at D.

This hurts TOR in the short term because they lost that Tavares Matthews 1-2 C depth, but gain their #1 defender they desperately need to pair with Reilly.

This trade does nothing, but hurt Philly because we lose our best Dman.

Neither club does this. It’s not a knock at Matthews. Again, he’s a top 10 C in the league. Value is fair probably, but based off needs, it’s not a great trade.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I must have missed the #1C you guys had in the deal. Did you mean the guy with 30 career points?

Oh, we’re just going on current career achievements. So why are we giving up all that for someone who’s not even a 70 point scorer?

Don’t help the stereotype much do you?

Reactions: pmwlker

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Matthews, in a trade conversation? Bizarre !

Attachments

• 1rsgtn.jpg
    1rsgtn.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Leafs would be crazy to trade Matthews even with Tavares on the team.
That 1-2-3 punch down the middle should not be messed with. :nono:

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
I know it's hard to admit that other teams besides the Leafs have good prospects, but you're senile if you don't think that Patrick has #1 center potential. Obviously, he isn't there now, but the talent is there

You post Matthews didn't break 70, despite injuries, and follow up about Patrick's potential.
And got the nerve to call others senile.

Very good

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
All the above stating no deal for the Flyers plus the fact that both Patrick and Provorov could be locked up for less than Matthews. Maybe when Provy and Patrick are shutting down the leafs window in a few years people will get it. Provorov has Norris written all over him. And I think Patrick turns into Seguin. Like others have said, only way this part of a package is sent out is for McDavid.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Yes he has.

And this is coming from a Pens fan. He was given little ice time and managed horribly by his coach.

Looked very good in the playoffs.
Lol, with his 2 points and minus 5 in 6 games. His max potential is a good second line center and there is nothing wrong with that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Great trade for both teams. AM is a franchise center. Leafs get back NP, who will be a great #2 behind JT, and Provorov. Leafs need a number one D man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad