Proposal: Leafs/Flames

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Call someone else delusional, finish up with the bolded... doing great guy!
He's been way over the top, but the way people shit on Hamonic because he isn't an advanced stats darling is severely over the top, as are any claims that he is not good at playing defense.

Honestly, Hamonic would be a smarter target for the Leafs if there is any truth to the rumor of the two teams talking. He's a defensive RH defenseman, not too old, signed to a very good cap hit, the latter point is something that would definitely get the Leafs attention. That said, It would probably have to be Hamonic plus Kylington and a 1st or something of that nature.

That said, I don't see the makings of a trade between these two clubs, not without a third team involved as the Flames would be more likely to be interested in moving picks/prospects and some salary from our bottom 6 (Frolik). The reason I say this, is after we moved Hamilton, we acquired a very young Hanifin who still needs to come along some more before he's a sure fire top 4 defenseman, so moving someone like Hamonic in a deal makes no sense for us and I can't see us moving Hanifin already.

But at the same time, a third team looking for futures wouldn't make much since because you would think that Nylander himself is what a rebuilding team would covet, so why wouldn't they just get involved one on one with the Leafs?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
He's been way over the top, but the way people **** on Hamonic because he isn't an advanced stats darling is severely over the top, as are any claims that he is not good at playing defense.

Honestly, Hamonic would be a smarter target for the Leafs if there is any truth to the rumor of the two teams talking. He's a defensive RH defenseman, not too old, signed to a very good cap hit, the latter point is something that would definitely get the Leafs attention. That said, It would probably have to be Hamonic plus Kylington and a 1st or something of that nature.

That said, I don't see the makings of a trade between these two clubs, not without a third team involved as the Flames would be more likely to be interested in moving picks/prospects and some salary from our bottom 6 (Frolik). The reason I say this, is after we moved Hamilton, we acquired a very young Hanifin who still needs to come along some more before he's a sure fire top 4 defenseman, so moving someone like Hamonic in a deal makes no sense for us and I can't see us moving Hanifin already.

But at the same time, a third team looking for futures wouldn't make much since because you would think that Nylander himself is what a rebuilding team would covet, so why wouldn't they just get involved one on one with the Leafs?

Yeah I'm not trying to get too deep into the trade-Nylander thing here this morning, but the short version is we shouldn't.
There is no situation where Hamonic is the key piece in a return for WN. He doesn't have close to enough value. I don't care in the slightest if he is not truly as bad as his numbers show. He's not particularly good, and not close, even if you add a good prospect.

Would you take a 4/5D from another team for Tkachuk, if they threw in a pretty good prospect? I sincerely doubt it. (You shouldn't in my opinion haha)

Edit: missed the 1st in your quote on the first read, so I didn't leave it out on purpose. I still wouldn't make the trade, but you touch on the good point of rebuilding vs contending. Hamonic isn't that helpful as I already covered. There is more value in the prospect and draft pick, but not the phase Leafs are in.

It's quality vs quantity/possible future quality. Not a trade I'd make personally

Last edited:
Reactions: Elephanto

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Speaking of thwarting stupid comments......

@Notsince67

Since you seem to think Tkachuk was a reach at 6th overall, just want to provide you some stats.....

As previously mentioned (which you naturally ignored), the last player drafted 6th overall to outscore Tkachuk in his first 2 NHL seasons was Peter Forsberg in his D+5 & D+6 seasons. The last (and only) player to be drafted 6th overall and outproduce Tkachuk in his D+1 and D+2 seasons was Don Murdoch, who was drafted in 1976

giphy.gif
trashing Tkachuk isn't bright for sure - in a redraft I think he either stays at 6th or moves up to 5th: Matthews, Laine, I think there's a case that Columbus stays PLD because of the need for a center, Sergachev, Keller, Tkachuk. But I think Tkachuck has shown more than PLD in the NHL so far, so on results I'd say that he moves up a spot and I don't see an argument for him moving down

Similarly with Nylander, I think he would go 5th or 6th in a re-draft: Ekblad, Draisatl, Point, Pastrnak, Ehlers/Nylander interchangeable

Tkachuk started a year younger than Nylander so I think that Tkachuk's 2nd and Nylanders 1st full years are what should be compared, and they're very similar - both very productive possession players with Tkachuk being more-so, both with 60pt seasons (I'll give Tkachuk credit for being able to maintain that pace for another 14 games), both played better than their boxscore totals would indicate because they had low OIsh%'s for guys playing with really good linemates with Nylander being more unlucky. Tkachuk averaged about 40 seconds more PP time per game than Nylander at the same age, and is 6 months younger in his birth year (2 drafts, late 1997 bday vs. mid 1996 bday)

Nylander was not as good in his 2nd full season than he was in his first, but was in the ballpark and development isn't linear so I don't think Tkachuk can be reliably projected to be better than he was last season in the coming one, but if he is then I think there's an objective case for Tkachuk>Nylander

for intangibles, Tkachuk has the grit aspect going for him and looks like a better possession player, Nylander might have the ability to move to center

personally I don't think these guys can be separated in value right now, and they might both fit better with the team they're on. Nylander is a playmaker that plays with a guy who's really good at scoring from inside the home plate area in Matthews and Nylander is really good at clean zone entries & making space for himself along the RW boards to look for Matthews in the middle. Tkachuk I think plays more of the Matthews role on his line, being the one who will receive those passes in the home plate area

if someone has an objective way to say one is better than the other, they're better at this than I am. For every item that counts in the favour of one guy, there seems to be another item that goes the other way

calling either one overrated or implying that the other team doesn't want them is just silly, they're both 1st line forwards in their early 20's, every team wants both of these guys

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Tkachuk is one of the best defensive wingers in the league under the age of 25, and he produced at a similar rate to Nylander last season, so you're free to have your opinion, but we're going to have to disagree.
Might be the better mouth guard chewer but thats about it.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
At one point there was a potential trade between the Leafs and the Flames however Calgary used Hamilton to both address their RW depth and somewhat keep their defensive depth in tact. Now Calgary can't afford the hit to their depth to give up the type of Dman that would be able to obtain Nylander.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He was. His point totals were fantastic because of Marner. He was #2 after Marner on MARNER'S LINE. YOU stop changing the subject.
I was responding to a message that Marner be added as a +. Tkachuk is not better than Marner. Marner is not a piece to get Tkachuk. It was a stupid comment and YOU are defending it.

I am not defending a Marner for Tkachuk deal at all, I haven't mentioned it or commented on it at all.

You responded to my post in which I was taking issue with your moronic post about Marner carrying Tkachuk in the OHL,

I really think you don't understand what the term being carried means in regards to hockey because having the 2nd most points on a line is far from being carried. Being carried means you are not good enough and only producing because of the other guy/s. The fact that Tkachuk has had great success at the NHL level shows that he was not producing only because of Marner but because he has talent on his own.

I am still waiting for your defense of your Tkachuk not being a good 6th pick but my guess is you will ignore that or try to spin it into something like you did with your previous moronic comment.

Reactions: No Draft

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I am not defending a Marner for Tkachuk deal at all, I haven't mentioned it or commented on it at all.

You responded to my post in which I was taking issue with your moronic post about Marner carrying Tkachuk in the OHL,

I really think you don't understand what the term being carried means in regards to hockey because having the 2nd most points on a line is far from being carried. Being carried means you are not good enough and only producing because of the other guy/s. The fact that Tkachuk has had great success at the NHL level shows that he was not producing only because of Marner but because he has talent on his own.

I am still waiting for your defense of your Tkachuk not being a good 6th pick but my guess is you will ignore that or try to spin it into something like you did with your previous moronic comment.
Tkatchuk absolutely over produced in London because of Marner. Just like D Strome did with McDavid the year before

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Tkatchuk absolutely over produced in London because of Marner. Just like D Strome did with McDavid the year before
?, your argument might be better if D Strome didn't continue to produce at approx 2 pts per game after McDavid left Erie.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

First of all over produced is light years different from “being carried.”

Second with how Tkachuk has done without Marner at the NHL level it was clear if there was any over producing it was because they helped each perform not Marner only boosting Tkachuk stats.

Comparing him to Strome is laughable as well.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Center of the Universe fans<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Most HF posters<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Hockey fans who can actually gauge the value of their players.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My apologies. Didn't know points were the only thing that mattered

Well that depends.

Generic Leafs Fans:

Auston Matthews is a PPG player, 82+ point easy last year, he's elite defensively, one of the best centres in the game. Might be better than McDavid because of everything else he brings. <Same breath> Yeah, no, Matt Tkachuk isn't even a 50 point player, Nylander is just so far above him offensively so, hard not to take him above Tkachuk.

It only depends if it helps your argument.

Reactions: FerklundCGY

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Why are Flames fans trying to argue that Tkachuk is better than Nylander? The majority of non-Leafs fans believe this as well, don't waste your time with some of the guys in here. Tkachuk is a beast

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad