News Article: Leafs, Flames come together to help out CWHL players.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Do people here really think that that women and their little tournament are bringing in more cash than the World Cup and FIFA?

Nope. If you read the posts it is specifically said that this has nothing to do with FIFA, just the US FA

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

Do people here really think that that women and their little tournament are bringing in more cash than the World Cup and FIFA?

some do...some dont...I fall directly in line with the don't category...although in terms of purely US soccer a case could probably be made for paying the women better than the men (seeing as more Americans watch them) but on a global scale...it's not even close

WALSH: Women's Soccer Players Say They Deserve ‘Equal Pay.’ But The Stats Show That They Are Actually Overpaid.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I still don't get how everyone regardless of ideological grounds didn't have a cynical response to the Wickenheiser hiring. The Leafs hired someone who would be otherwise occupied with more important things (medical school, her family in Calgary). To think of the other female candidates for such a position who would have been able to devote full time to such a position. It was a genius move if your goal is to keep women out of the front office. She'll be in Toronto for photo ops for a few days out of the year and all is well.

She's a development coach at camps and the Leafs liaison for the Leafs western prospects. There's no reason any of this is a problem.

Reactions: Menzinger

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Damnit I thought this argument was finally done on an agree to disagree/ let's wait and see finish...here we go again

Nobody gets to agree/disagree on what her job is or whether or not she can make the time commitments. :laugh: These are matters of fact, you don't get an opinion.

And that was my first post in the thread, so... yeah. You make no sense.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
some do...some dont...I fall directly in line with the don't category...although in terms of purely US soccer a case could probably be made for paying the women better than the men (seeing as more Americans watch them) but on a global scale...it's not even close

WALSH: Women's Soccer Players Say They Deserve ‘Equal Pay.’ But The Stats Show That They Are Actually Overpaid.

Of course, and since I reside outside of North America (so much of this cancerous bullshit is absent), I see that the reason the North American teams can dominate soccer and hockey is because the women who play them aren't doing anything important.

There isn't anybody holding them down and discouraging them from playing.

And there isn't anybody holding a gun to your head and forcing you to watch them (at least not yet).

Their competitors are weak because the women from Costa Rica, Lesotho and South Korea are having children, raising families, and building their communities, not playing sports at the level of a kid in high school.

I wish there was a nicer way to say it but there isn't.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Nobody gets to agree/disagree on what her job is or whether or not she can make the time commitments. :laugh: These are matters of fact, you don't get an opinion.

was never about what her job is...have you not read the thread? o_O lol jayzus we got ourselves a smartass here lmao :P all good bud, good luck lol
hope you've got a good amount of beer handy for this conversation lol, I know I sure appreciated having it lmao

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Of course, and since I reside outside of North America (so much of this cancerous bull**** is absent), I see that the reason the North American teams can dominate soccer and hockey is because the women who play them aren't doing anything important.

There isn't anybody holding them down and discouraging them from playing.

And there isn't anybody holding a gun to your head and forcing you to watch them (at least not yet).

Their competitors are weak because the women from Costa Rica, Lesotho and South Korea are having children, raising families, and building their communities, not playing sports at the level of a kid in high school.

I wish there was a nicer way to say it but there isn't.

Damn lol SNAP!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I agree with most of what it says in terms of FIFA revenue and over payment in those terms, which we have been over. I don't really know where this article fits into what we were talking about past that. It says the Women have been creating more revenue from a US perspective, which is what I have been trying to say.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Damn lol SNAP!

Vctdqs.gif

(edit: at some point I'll need to tell you all about how growing up, my sister was a provincially ranked basketball player, and I was just a 'decent sixth man'...and how I was told to 'drop it' but she was told to 'go for it girl!' and yet when we played one on one I'd dummy her every time...)

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

So playing professional sports and giving women a role model they can relate to is not helping to build communities ?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
So playing professional sports and giving women a role model they can relate to is not helping to build communities ?

We've reached an age where athletes, musicians and actors are 'role models' and ugh...your parents should be your role models. If not them, friends and family close to you that you trust and love.

Women can have babies and men can not.

Despite how hard the women of Canada and America have it, and they don't, society is best served when women and men meet, marry and have families...not run around with penis envy and zero regard for the future (they could take 100% of the tournament earnings to earn what men do...but then who pays the next tournament? Did all the people who ran this tournament do so for free?).

The NWHL is the same thing - and they tried to expand into China!?

Chinese parents 1. Don't want daughters and 2. If they have a daughter want her to get a good education and marry well, not make 2000¥/月 playing hockey.

'I am woman, hear me roar!, until we need money, then give it to us!'

Reactions: ITM

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Women can have babies and men can not.

That is how anatomy works, don't really know how it is relevant to what we are talking about.
Despite how hard the women of Canada and America have it, and they don't, society is best served when women and men meet, marry and have families...not run around with penis envy and zero regard for the future (they could take 100% of the tournament earnings to earn what men do...but then who pays the next tournament? Did all the people who ran this tournament do so for free?).
Well for starters this is not 1920, there is room in society for women to break out of that "traditional" family norm and make their own lives with goals outside of having babies to serve society...... Also you make it sound as though the womens WC is a garbage tournament. It does well financially, by no means is it the mens WC but it is also not in need of desperate charity.
'I am woman, hear me roar!, until we need money, then give it to us!
This is just hilarious, I don't even know what to say other than you sound like a male who is scared of women succeeding in areas of the world that have been traditionally male dominant.

Reactions: kk87

GrunbeldDragonKnight

Jun 14, 2019
I love that when people bring rational and logical facts to the debate, the source is automatically attacked. So what if Walsh 'hates women'? His numbers are sound. And I find it hard to believe that a guy that hates women is married.

These American women are so pretentious. They beat down some pathetic squads on the way to the title and they dare use their sopabox to rant about the US government. Women in North America are the most privileged group of people in the entire history of mankind. So privileged in fact that they disregard any form of truth or criticism as sexist.

Good to see some logic prevail in this thread. Maybe Megan Rapinoe can share some of her earnings with the unsung Under 15 boys high school teams that routinely feed the girls their lunch. We live in a post truth world. The only thing that matters is 'her truth'. No wonder society is going down the toilet.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I love that when people bring rational and logical facts to the debate, the source is automatically attacked. So what if Walsh 'hates women'? His numbers are sound. And I find it hard to believe that a guy that hates women is married.
It does matter cause it means the whole article is written in a bias fashion. Walsh is a right-wing christian, so he will always write through that lens. His numbers are also not fully sound and he leaves a lot of other important numbers out, for instance the viewership being higher for the Women's national team in comparison to the Men's one.
These American women are so pretentious. They beat down some pathetic squads on the way to the title and they dare use their sopabox to rant about the US government. Women in North America are the most privileged group of people in the entire history of mankind. So privileged in fact that they disregard any form of truth or criticism as sexist.
This sentence has some funny irony to it..

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
This is one of the worst threads I've personally seen on this Leafs board.
It is so far off topic, it's so misinformed on many levels, and at times just outright wrong and rude.

Credit to RobertMac for actually trying to have a discussion with some of the worst posters I've seen here.

Reactions: robertmac43

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
It is so far off topic, it's so misinformed on many levels, and at times just outright wrong and rude.

Credit to RobertMac for actually trying to have a discussion with some of the worst posters I've seen here.

Not taking a side here, but holy mackinaw I’ve seen so many great threads closed so quickly that should have remained open, yet this is on page five? I never understand why some threads close yet others remain open.

Carry on (my wayward son)....

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

While RobertMac has been fairly civil, theyve also been prone to discarding valid points with some rather silly comments. There has been some good debate on both sides which is actually nice for once.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It does matter cause it means the whole article is written in a bias fashion. Walsh is a right-wing christian, so he will always write through that lens. His numbers are also not fully sound and he leaves a lot of other important numbers out, for instance the viewership being higher for the Women's national team in comparison to the Men's one.

This sentence has some funny irony to it..
Nearly all writing today starts from a point of bias of some form or another. Having a certain point of view does not automatically discredit any point one may make.
What numbers are inaccurate? What numbers are missing? Im not saying dumbass (and he is one) is right in the article, but where is the evidence he is wrong?

You mention that viewership is now higher (I agree) but has that translated to higher revenue yet?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nearly all writing today starts from a point of bias of some form or another. Having a certain point of view does not automatically discredit any point one may make.
What numbers are inaccurate? What numbers are missing? Im not saying dumbass (and he is one) is right in the article, but where is the evidence he is wrong?

You mention that viewership is now higher (I agree) but has that translated to higher revenue yet?

In the context of the conversation though the bias was very important to the other side. Choosing the writing of an alt-right christian who is old fashioned in his views would have more inclination to go against the women's game. He also skews the stats to his narrative. For instance he is right in saying their are highly paid female athletes, but the discrepancy in pay comes from the mid-bottom earners. Finally I said it earlier and I'll say it again; I didn't discredit his points on the FIFA payouts, I agree with those points; the thing is they are not the argument the women are having, the women are talking about US soccer, Walsh expands it to FIFA.

Walsh does not go into the numbers of the Women verse Mens team in strictly an American setting which is ultimately the main issue I have been arguing about. He also does not discuss the lack of financial backing the Women's team has in comparison to them Men's when it comes to training facilities, food,etc; basically all the stuff that is outside of the physical game checks.

For the US, yes the revenue has seen a good increase over the past couple years due to the Women.

here are some articles to look into: All have some flaws as well, but they also add a different narrative to the conversation:
World Cup in hand, US women's soccer team moves to fight for equal pay - CNN
These stats show how the USWNT leads in soccer -- and how far it lags in compensation - CNN
Team USA’s Women’s World Cup Final Victory Ratings Score For Fox – Deadline

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
While RobertMac has been fairly civil, theyve also been prone to discarding valid points with some rather silly comments. There has been some good debate on both sides which is actually nice for once.

I discredit points that are outwardly sexist and off the topic, which have i discredited outside of that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad