News Article: Leafs, Flames come together to help out CWHL players.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Think this was pretty stand up thing for Calgary and Toronto to do. Throw something out there that even the haters have to tip their hat to the Leafs on this one.
The Score

h/www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1794141/amp

NHL, Leafs, Flames help CWHL pay player bonuses
Global News.

NHL, Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames help settle debt of defunct CWHL

awesome they did it good on them for helping the folding league...but...you know you have too much money when you can add this to your balance sheet and feel ok with it...kinda similar to Wickenheiser to player development...good to see on the paper but short of work ethic (which these guys should already have) I can't see the point of wasting money on it

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Well this is off to a rough start.

I know you aren't talking about me lol...I have no issue with women's hockey, my comment was straight fact based lol...if you can afford to cover a folding leagues expenses (making sure the players get paid) you have too much money...great PR though

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Kudo's to the Leafs and Flames, and doing what's right.

It's a shame that other than every 4 years, women's hockey doesn't receive nearly a wide enough national platform. It's some damn good hockey, and the rivalries are every bit as passionate and bitter as the men's.

Glad the Leafs and Flames did this, and hopefully we see a platform emerge for more mainstream women's hockey. I know I'd be watching......

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Just like Hayley Wickenheiser to player development, no shot at her she is a deserved legend in the women's game...but that has zilch to do with playing in the NHL, so short of the work ethic rubbing off on the players (which they should already have) I can't understand it

Do you also have a problem with teams hiring men in player development roles who haven't played in the NHL?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's a shame that other than every 4 years, women's hockey doesn't receive nearly a wide enough national platform. It's some damn good hockey, and the rivalries are every bit as passionate and bitter as the men's.

there is some good stuff that goes on within the 4 years but it often does not get the promotion it needs and then falls under the radar. This past year I went to USA-Canada rivalry series in Toronto and it was awesome, however the arena was only a fraction full which was unfortunate to see.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Just like Hayley Wickenheiser to player development, no shot at her she is a deserved legend in the women's game...but that has zilch to do with playing in the NHL, so short of the work ethic rubbing off on the players (which they should already have) I can't understand it

Barb Underhill knows nothing about skating either never play a second of hockey for crying out loud.... am i doing this right?:popcorn:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Barb Underhill knows nothing about skating either never play a second of hockey for crying out loud.... am i doing this right?:popcorn:

I think you're unintentionally looking passed what he said because you don't like the tone he used.

I believe what he's saying is that generally the NHL isn't an entry level role. Normally, people come up through the ranks (junior, minor pro, etc.) or create a name for themselves in a given field. Barb Underhill did that. Haley Wickenheiser seems almost like a 'show piece' hire. Someone with no track record in player development, but she's the biggest name in women's hockey, so she gets a job.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
there is some good stuff that goes on within the 4 years but it often does not get the promotion it needs and then falls under the radar. This past year I went to USA-Canada rivalry series in Toronto and it was awesome, however the arena was only a fraction full which was unfortunate to see.
If more people found it that entertaining then the arena would be fuller. Its the sad reality of it. Women's hockey has been around a while. People know its there they just dont care.
Personally I find most of it boring. I'd rather watch Jr B.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I've got a gripe about the lack of the Latinex hockey presence in L.A. and Arizona. In my opinion, really, really, really suspicious practice from those two organizations not to set aside on-ice and off-ice positions. But that's a distant secondary anxiety to the absence of any Barbadianex on the Islanders. Move the club if you can't accommodate the incoming influx of Barbadianex. Never mind that at the time of this post there is no such person identifying as a Barbadianex, they're going to be here in the fives and tens in the coming decades and Islanders policy should reflect that in anticipating their imminent arrival if they want to be considered a progressive organization, but more importantly not be seen as (and it might be too late for them) hostile.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
I think you're unintentionally looking passed what he said because you don't like the tone he used.

I believe what he's saying is that generally the NHL isn't an entry level role. Normally, people come up through the ranks (junior, minor pro, etc.) or create a name for themselves in a given field. Barb Underhill did that. Haley Wickenheiser seems almost like a 'show piece' hire. Someone with no track record in player development, but she's the biggest name in women's hockey, so she gets a job.
She has decades of experience playing a game, I'm assuming that means something, it's just oh my lawd she's getting a job just because she's haley wikenheiser, some of the pros that get hired don't even have high school diplomas yet sure they can teach just sign'em up I know the guy he's good to go. Let's see what happens maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't but of all the leafs hires over the last few decades this isn't the end of the organization.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I guess people have a short memory but at the all star game the passing skills competition was won by a women. Best time. But according to some on here a hall of fame player can not teach a young player nothing. A captain of several Olympic gold medal teams and gold medal world championship teams.

Leadership
Team work
Work ethic
Dedication
Eating right
Working out right.

I guess she can not teach them much.

Reactions: mavis and Pi

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If more people found it that entertaining then the arena would be fuller. Its the sad reality of it. Women's hockey has been around a while. People know its there they just dont care.
Personally I find most of it boring. I'd rather watch Jr B.

I'm sure it would have had more people come out if there was any kind of marketing in the months before it. I got my tickets only 3 weeks before the game. There was also still a decent crowd, bigger than any Junior B team I can think of.

I mean hey you do you, but I just cannot see a regular season Junior B game being more exciting than the best on best in the womens game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad