Confirmed with Link: Leafs Blowout Habs 6-3 | Johnsson >> Domi

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Random thoughts:

I hate how we start. Spotting the other team a 2 or 3 goal lead by the end of the 1st a stupid way to start games. If the game starts at 7:00, we seem to show up at 7:30. If it doesn't work against the dregs like the Coyotes and the Panther's, it's suicide against a team like Boston or Tampa in the playoffs. It needs to stop.

Loved seeing Matthews finally push back and plant Weber firmly on his backside. I think it surprised Matthews. Hope he brings that more often.

We can rag on Domi, but I would have loved to have him on the Leafs, and not for the name. He's small but he plays hard and with a back-bone. He would be easily our toughest and most competitive player. He would have fit in to our core nicely.

Willy looks rejuvenated, and I love what I'm seeing from Kapanen. He's really shining, while Marleau is fading badly. Hoping Marleau can bring something in the playoffs, but I can't imagine he is very happy with how he is playing and contributing either this season. He's a professional and a proud guy. This can't be sitting well with him, wanting to contribute but being unable to.

Tavares is our Captain. There really isn't any doubt in my mind. He just exudes leadership, calm, and when push comes to shove, he's there for it.

Our Defence seems extremely unsettled, and it's showing in how Muzzin is playing. We need to have some consistency in the pairings and we sorely lack a bona fide top 4 RHD. Colin Miller makes so much sense it's not even funny as an addition, and he is my big TDL hope. Couldn't even imagine a swap that would bring in Miller and Reeves, and what that would instantly do for our team. Otherwise, it's Dubas going big game hunting in the off-season for RHD. He has the assets to get it done.

All in all, tough to watch but a win against the dirty Habs always does my heart good.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'd rather pay double the price with Rogers or Bell than pay 1 nickel to Comwave with asshat Domi as their spokesperson.

Him, and his headhunting, crosschecking, puke of a son, can just ****off!

Tie Domi should never be allowed to play in a Leafs alumni game ever! We don't need that traitor representing our Leafs!

He can take his services to the Habs organization where he truly belongs!

That was a clean hit on Johnasson...

Reactions: frog

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Nice comeback win. Great game by Matthews along with his linemates, I thought Hyman was terrific as well. Nylander getting two points in his worst game in weeks is just hockey. Babcock's handling of the third line is peak Babcock.

Standout in the game is the ref coming up to compliment the battle right after Weber pulls Matthews down by grabbing his foot. I'm fairly sure that's not so much a good battle as an obvious penalty.
Thought Hyman played his heart out last night. Was being manhandled almost every shift but kept motoring like he always does. that goal for him was sweet justice. AND gotta love Kappy for passing the puck to Johnson. Loved the unity this team showed last night. the chirping on the bench sealed the deal. Also, someone explain the violin playing by Kappy at the end of the game/?

Reactions: La Masse

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Random thoughts:

I hate how we start. Spotting the other team a 2 or 3 goal lead by the end of the 1st a stupid way to start games. If the game starts at 7:00, we seem to show up at 7:30. If it doesn't work against the dregs like the Coyotes and the Panther's, it's suicide against a team like Boston or Tampa in the playoffs. It needs to stop.

Loved seeing Matthews finally push back and plant Weber firmly on his backside. I think it surprised Matthews. Hope he brings that more often.

We can rag on Domi, but I would have loved to have him on the Leafs, and not for the name. He's small but he plays hard and with a back-bone. He would be easily our toughest and most competitive player. He would have fit in to our core nicely.

Willy looks rejuvenated, and I love what I'm seeing from Kapanen. He's really shining, while Marleau is fading badly. Hoping Marleau can bring something in the playoffs, but I can't imagine he is very happy with how he is playing and contributing either this season. He's a professional and a proud guy. This can't be sitting well with him, wanting to contribute but being unable to.

Tavares is our Captain. There really isn't any doubt in my mind. He just exudes leadership, calm, and when push comes to shove, he's there for it.

Our Defence seems extremely unsettled, and it's showing in how Muzzin is playing. We need to have some consistency in the pairings and we sorely lack a bona fide top 4 RHD. Colin Miller makes so much sense it's not even funny as an addition, and he is my big TDL hope. Couldn't even imagine a swap that would bring in Miller and Reeves, and what that would instantly do for our team. Otherwise, it's Dubas going big game hunting in the off-season for RHD. He has the assets to get it done.

All in all, tough to watch but a win against the dirty Habs always does my heart good.

I think Marleau is saving for April. He did look very good in the first round series last year.

Reactions: TML11

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not enough ice time to go around

I know, but maybe they could change the shift paradigm to be all out every shift, rather than coasting during shifts?

You can see players conserving energy during shifts, saving it for a final burst of energy.

You usually need to limit ice time to your bottom feeders and give it to the top lines.

With 4 good lines no reason to conserve energy.

Hmmm, Babcock and paradigm shift ... you're correct not enough ice time.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I think Marleau is saving for April. He did look very good in the first round series last year.
This is what I feel as well, its a veteran move. He knows he's making the playoffs and his roster spot is locked. Hes coasting and probably rightfully so.

He probably talked to Babcock and its known.

He knows he isn't the main firepower and his job is to set the veteran tone and be there for the playoffs on the 2nd/3rd line.

He's going to FLY in the playoffs.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Obviously the first period sucked and we got a lucky break on Willy’s goal but breaks happen and its part of hockey. I loved seeing Matthews push back and go at Weber. I dont understand what Weber was trying to do at the end. He didnt even play the puck and could have hurt Hyman pretty bad

Big week coming up with 4 games. Time to go on a streak

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Man would I ever love to play against Tom Wilson again in the playoffs. The guy is a powerplay giving machine. 91 PIMs already this season, yes please.

Fighting majors and generating offense through hard forechecking. He was the only reason the caps beat the leafs in the last game.

Guys like Domi and Wilson are sorely needed on this team.

Reactions: Hotel Mario

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Fighting majors and generating offense through hard forechecking. He was the only reason the caps beat the leafs in the last game.

Guys like Domi and Wilson are sorely needed on this team.

I watched some of the Flyers outdoor game last night and Simmons was very physical. I would love to see him in Leafs uniform but I doubt it will happen.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Needs to realize he's a big boy.
He also needs to stand up for himself.
Hopefully this shows what he can do.
I was saying this on the board last week. Hitting is a style of play. You dont need to change your style to make it effective. Just use it from time to time because a timely hit can change the course of a game. Just give the hit if it is there...dont look for it. All the greatest teams could at some level respond to every style that presents itself.
I was a bit taken aback last year in the playoffs when Kadri got suspended and this board reacted so negatively. Kadri made a mistake but you shouldn't fault him for the passion of protecting one of his own. Sometimes mistakes get made but the repercussions of a team not having that edge is a bad thing. Some of the people calling for more toughness were the toughest on Kadri last year. Time for a little interospection.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Obviously the first period sucked and we got a lucky break on Willy’s goal but breaks happen and its part of hockey. I loved seeing Matthews push back and go at Weber. I dont understand what Weber was trying to do at the end. He didnt even play the puck and could have hurt Hyman pretty bad

Big week coming up with 4 games. Time to go on a streak

Unfortunately we get a motivated Islanders team on the second night of a back-to-back this week, with the Islanders rested.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Unfortunately we get a motivated Islanders team on the second night of a back-to-back this week, with the Islanders rested.

The Sabres twice, McDavid, and JT's return NYI

They should be able to get some points this week but I'm not sure with this team.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I would love to have Max Domi on this team,

3rd line: Kapanen-Kadri-Domi would be unreal

I liked Domi before he went after Johnsson. Now, the word scrub comes to mind.

Reactions: willmma

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I liked Domi before he went after Johnsson. Now, the word scrub comes to mind.

You know I'd give it a pass if it were a reaction to some specific dirty/dangerous incident by Johnsson. It really came across an attempt to bully/scare the player. What was very rewarding is that it clearly didn't work in any way.

Reactions: ITM and willmma

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If the Leafs need rest or anything else to bring it for that game then something is seriously wrong.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
You know I'd give it a pass if it were a reaction to some specific dirty/dangerous incident by Johnsson. It really came across an attempt to bully/scare the player. What was very rewarding is that it clearly didn't work in any way.
Oh cmon its hockey lol, no friends on the ice and thats the way it should be.. If it was off the ice then yeah hed be an asshole. Do you remember Gary Roberts or Mark Messier they are the nicest guys but completely ruthless on the ice... Also Johnson is a little bit scrappy too its not like it was against Marleau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad