Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat McDavid again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I think it’s a eff u to dubas. I dare you to tell me what to do in game. Shanahan is going to have to choose this spring unless they win at least 2 series. Otherwise it’s reach a buyout with Babs and he heads for parts unknown (Edmonton for another fortune). And Dubas moves in Keefe to complete his vision.

Good luck with that.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
That meltdown was brutal. And it was against Oilers... If it was Tampa or Boston I could understand it a little bit, but meltdown like that against terrible team is just simply terrible. Can't blame that on Babcock it's the players and they seem to understand that playoffs are near and they start to suck.

You can't let a team make that kind of free passes on the slot.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Havent even looked into the numbers but don't really care that Hyman - Matthews - Nylander was easily the best line we've had the past 3 years.

They consistently tilted the ice and Matthews and Nylander pushed the pace and were always dangerous.

The truth is Matthews is a score first player that is best suited with someone who can create space with his speed but also have strong playmaking skills (which Kap doesn't really have).

I like Kapanen as a player but think Nylanders playmaking skills fit better with a trigger man.

That's all fine and dandy, but does Saskatchewan Science back up your claim? If not don't hold your breath for any sudden changes.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The Tavares Line - After a game where Tavares was MIA and Marner was magic, Tavares was terrific tonight when Marner was just good. Hyman was pretty good tonight too.
The Matthews Line - Johnsson was a ghost tonight. Kapanen was good in transition, and infuriating in the offensive zone. Matthews was really good, but got nothing out of it. This line need a playmaker.
The Kadri Line - Kadri was a bit off his timing, but he's quality. Nylander was pretty bad, but set up or got 3 really good scoring chances and got a point. Who'd have thought that putting some skill with your playmaker might help. Marleau was hit and miss. Some terrific players, and some where he inadvertently killed all offense.
The Ennis Line - Ennis looked very good tonight, especially since he was apparently the only player on the ice.

Rielly Pairing - Rielly was terrific, Hainsey was terrific. Everything is terrific.
Muzzin Pairing - Muzzin was great, Zaitsev was great. Everything is great.
Marincin Pairing - Meh.

Andersen - Terrific for most of the game. The last second was more the team getting paralyzed than on him.

Babcock - He chased matchups against two players that could jump on the ice at any moment, and that caused some problems at times. I don't know why he does that. Worst case scenario, he gets Kadri out there against McDavid. We love Kadri on McDavid. After a long penalty killing session, he tops up the lines by throwing Matthews out there with the ghost version of Johnsson and.... Marleau? Again? I don't get it.

Special Note - Let's not leave for the dressing room before the game is actually over next time, boys. Dreadful defending by the Tavares and Matthews line in the last minute, mostly because nobody cared to pick up their guys.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
They were 1 Kassian shot away from it likely being 0-0-2 in the last 3 days.

But seriously, they've been good in the 3rd when leading.

It's not like it was a collapse. They fell asleep against a shit team thinking they had the game in the bag.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
That meltdown was brutal. And it was against Oilers... If it was Tampa or Boston I could understand it a little bit, but meltdown like that against terrible team is just simply terrible. Can't blame that on Babcock it's the players and they seem to understand that playoffs are near and they start to suck.

You can't let a team make that kind of free passes on the slot.

If they were playing those teams they would play right to the end knowing who they were up against. With 2 minutes left, or whatever it was, against the Oilers of all teams, it is easy to fall asleep.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Too close for comfort. That S%#* can’t happen against the likes of TB or Boston. In fact then past few weeks have shown that any team can punk a top team if they don’t show up.

EDM is awful but if not for Andersen and a few of his spectacular saves last night it certainly would have been a lot closer. I know that can be said of any team but our D is too weak not to have our forwards support them. Especially JT and Matthews.

Babcock needs to pull Matthews aside and read him the riot act. He has been invisible the past 6 games. He pulls a no show against the Bruins we are cooked.

Reactions: TheOneArmedMan

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Marincin can be very solid some games... He is just so randomly timid and indecisive. If he was more calm and consistently more aggresive he would easily be a top 4 defensemen. His timidness at critical times is what makes him a 6th defensemen compared to a 3rd or 4th

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marincin can be very solid some games... He is just so randomly timid and indecisive. If he was more calm and consistently more aggresive he would easily be a top 4 defensemen. His timidness at critical times is what makes him a 6th defensemen compared to a 3rd or 4th

After watching him earlier this season I though he could be a decent contributor with more ice time which would likely slow the game down a bit for him. I don’t know about top 4 but you never know.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We’re 4th overall in the standings, we’re on pace to set a new franchise record in points just 1 season after breaking it.

We’re in a rare good time in Leafs history, yet there are still people not realizing how bad it used to be. Enjoy it.

I’m enjoying it for sure but think this team could be much better which is why it’s so frustrating

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Too close for comfort. That S%#* can’t happen against the likes of TB or Boston. In fact then past few weeks have shown that any team can punk a top team if they don’t show up.

EDM is awful but if not for Andersen and a few of his spectacular saves last night it certainly would have been a lot closer. I know that can be said of any team but our D is too weak not to have our forwards support them. Especially JT and Matthews.

Babcock needs to pull Matthews aside and read him the riot act. He has been invisible the past 6 games. He pulls a no show against the Bruins we are cooked.

And this is why he doesn’t play Matthews 20 plus minutes a game.

People keep whining why we don’t play our “elite” players big minutes, fact is Matthews isn’t a truly “elite” player yet. He has lots to work on in his complete game.

There’s a select few who think Babcock is some sort of moron. Fact is, he sees what happens every day on this team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
And this is why he doesn’t play Matthews 20 plus minutes a game.

People keep whining why we don’t play our “elite” players big minutes, fact is Matthews isn’t a truly “elite” player yet. He has lots to work on in his complete game.

There’s a select few who think Babcock is some sort of moron. Fact is, he sees what happens every day on this team.

Unless he’s on a heater and everything is going in, I think you’ll see his minutes cut back in the playoffs. He can’t be out too much against Boston’s top 2 lines.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
All I got from this game was that Brown is very, very sh*t.
He goes to the fourth line and suddenly the third line finally dominates.
Kadri and Willy looked good. Even Marleau played decent

And he played a strong game in a 4th line role, where he just needs to forecheck and cycle. Definitely suits him more.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's cleared waivers twice he isn't a 6 D man.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I’m not blaming Boston for having more loser points. We blew a **** ton of leads in 2016 and got loser points instead of 2 points.

The whole concept of getting a point out of a game you didn’t win is just dumb and creates a fake sense of parity.
I agree. The loser should get no points. However then coaches will play it safe. I propose each game be worth 3 points. Winner in regulation gets all three. Winner in OT/ Shootout gets 2 and loser gets one.

This will encourage more team to go all out for a regulation win IMO.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree. The loser should get no points. However then coaches will play it safe. I propose each game be worth 3 points. Winner in regulation gets all three. Winner in OT/ Shootout gets 2 and loser gets one.

This will encourage more team to go all out for a regulation win IMO.

Just take out the loser point. It's terrible anyways. 2pts win. 0 pts loss. 15mins 3 on 3 and 1 pts each for the tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad