Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat McDavid again

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Are we ready to admit Johnsson/Matthews/Kappy is not that great a line?
They are fast but man do AJ/Kappy misplay the puck a lot.

I don't think Kapanen and Johnsson are natural goal scorers. You're right, they're fast. But a team only has so many natural goal scorers. IMO Nylander is the same. Skillful, fast but not a great finisher.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That meltdown was brutal. And it was against Oilers... If it was Tampa or Boston I could understand it a little bit, but meltdown like that against terrible team is just simply terrible. Can't blame that on Babcock it's the players and they seem to understand that playoffs are near and they start to suck.

You can't let a team make that kind of free passes on the slot.

The Oilers stacked everything they had on one line and scored 6v5.

McD
Draisatitl
RNH
Nurse
Klefbom
Xxxxxxxx

Its literally all of their offense.

And you know what, we won

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

McD
Draisatitl
RNH
Nurse
Klefbom
Xxxxxxxx

This.

Oilers top end talent is arguably one of the best in the league and they put up a 2 spot on an extended man advantage. I don't see why people are bringing up Boston and Tampa because of this because those teams top 3-4 guys really aren't that much more better.

Leafs played a good game overall. Oilers made some good plays in that last two minute stretch and converted on their scoring chances.

Some Leafs fans and most of the trolls really need to get a grip on reality or get therapy to straighten out their heads.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
One day I will get to see the Leafs hoisting the Cup, but I will still be nervous whether we lose it or not.

Anything can happen with this franchise.

They'll probably drop it on the first handover, and LeaFland will light their torches:naughty:

Did it hit the ref? Boards were in the way and I couldnt see it. Looked like it might have

I believe it did, there was another incident in the 1st as well that prevented the Leafs from clearing, linesman screaming at Freddy to put the puck into play with Oilers in the vicinity. I believe it was Hainsey who told one to shut-up.

just when i thought a PGT would be free of complainers.

Beauty game from the whole team tonight, Matthews was dynamite against McDavid. JT is such a complete hockey player, best UFA signing in franchise history.

Come on man, it will never happen when Zaitsev is in the line-up, even if he get's moved the media will find someone else to rag on and they will follow suit.

JT may be the best UFA signed anywher

Last edited:
Reactions: TorMapleJays

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
15 mins three on three? They'll be sitting in lawn chairs in front of their net at the end.

Most games will end in 10mins or less. Leave the 1-1pt split. No game should be worth 3pts, that's the problem.

Reactions: egd27

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Most games will end in 10mins or less. Leave the 1-1pt split. No game should be worth 3pts, that's the problem.
The coaches will play it safe even in 3 on 3 because they don't want to "lose" a point. You have to save them from themselves.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Really? I don’t remember FF through the play or turning to another game as much as I have this season.
Man... my whole life I waited for a Leafs team this stacked and offensively talented. You're FF'ing through the games? LOL... when will you start watching, when we suck again??

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

McD
Draisatitl
RNH
Nurse
Klefbom
Xxxxxxxx

Exactly, the Oilers have no depth on the wings.

Even just adding one Tavares level player would change everything.

McDavid-Draisaitl
Tavares-Nugent-Hopkins

And of course a healthy defense.

Leafs beat a hot Oilers team, and their back-up by 1 goal.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Man... my whole life I waited for a Leafs team this stacked and offensively talented. You're FF'ing through the games? LOL... when will you start watching, when we suck again??

My preference is hard hitting intense end to end hockey. Last night was unwatchable.
A lot has to do with the Leafs home broadcast, especially CBC, which tends to make the game harder to watch. Switching between the Pens game and the Leafs game last night was a night and day difference in the game sound and overall quality. CBC doesn’t do hockey very well.
Having said that I’ve been to a couple of live road games that were snooze fest as well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The coaches will play it safe even in 3 on 3 because they don't want to "lose" a point. You have to save them from themselves.

Nah, no security in playing it safe. 3 on 3 is assured offense so any mistake is magnified. They'll go balls.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Final 5v5 adjusted numbers from last night:

Corsi: Leafs 68 Oilers: 36
Scoring chances: Leafs 35 Oilers: 17
High danger chances: Leafs: 16 Oilers: 6

Both keepers were good and Stolarz really kept Edmonton in the game including that amazing save off the Marleau tip in a game that could have been a laugher. Dominant performance against a hot team on the road at the end of the trip.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
What's the Leafs record when leading after two?

Too many games like tonight for my liking. If they play like this against top teams in the playoffs it won't go well.

It just sucks that we'll have to play an experienced team who handles pressure. It's a strength for them - a weakness for us.

We can agree to disagree that's ok. Can that narrative be changed? Sure it can and we don't have to wait long to see if they can do it but right now there are signs that one team is better under pressure in closing out games.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That's pretty weird to be honest. The Leafs are the 3rd highest scoring team in the league lol. I would actually go as far as to say this team is probably the exact opposite of what I would consider boring. Frustrating? Sure.
Yeah. Even if you don't like the style of play, no game where anything could happen at any time could be described as boring. And that's pretty much how all Leafs games go.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Oiler fans continue to yap avout how great mcdavid and draisaitl are.

But the oilers lose yet again.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Marincin with another reprieve game. If he plays in the playoffs I know in my heart of hearts he will let us down, but he had a good game last night. Hopefully Gardiner, Dermott or even Rosen is back in time to be an option. Oz is a solid #6 with these injuries, I don't know why Babs keeps taking him out.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
btw any news on Gardiner and Dermott? How long are they expected to be out? Only 14 more games till the playoffs. Would want them to get in at least 5 to 6 games before playoffs begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad