Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat McDavid again

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think Babcock is old school and he’s punishing Nylander for holding out. It’s the only plausible explanation. If he doesn’t think Nylander is competing at a high level right now, I don’t think anything will convince him this season. Nylander will just have to ride it out and hope that next season Babcock doesn’t have it out for him.

Babcock will never change his mind, just like there was nothing Leivo could ever do to change the way Babcock thought of him.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Bruins lost to the Oilers this season, the Leafs have beat them twice.

The Oilers beat the Bruins once in overtime like a week into the season and the Leafs beat the Oilers twice. This is supposed to be proof of what exactly ?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Who gives a **** you still have to win 4 rounds and 16 games to win the cup. If you're good enough to win it then you'll win it regardless of when you have to play Boston or Tampa in those 16+ games.
I'd rather the Leafs play those teams that barely made it into the playoffs than those teams that are thought to be contenders. Tampa, Toronto, and Boston have the highest goal differentials in the East this year 1-2-3. League-wide, it becomes 1-2-tied for 4th.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Are we ready to admit Johnsson/Matthews/Kappy is not that great a line?
They are fast but man do AJ/Kappy misplay the puck a lot.

Did y’all finally get HD TVs up there or something? I’ve been saying that for months. A lot of guys handlethe puck like it’s a ballooon or tennis ball

Reactions: CelticDruid

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd rather the Leafs play those teams that barely made it into the playoffs than those teams that are thought to be contenders. Tampa, Toronto, and Boston have the highest goal differentials in the East this year 1-2-3. League-wide, it becomes 1-2-tied for 4th.

Yep. I was looking at a few models and they all had CAROLINA having better odds to make the ECF over the Leafs or Bruins. Why? Because they have an easier road to the ECF if they make the playoffs.

Something seems wrong if a team that may not even make the playoffs has a better chance of making it to the ECF than the 2nd and 4th best teams in the league.

Reactions: weems

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don.t think u watched the game

I watched it.

Matthews needs to be held to a higher standard than most of our forwards because of his ability and his contract that will kick in soon. He should be leading by example every shift, but he just doesn't seem as engaged as he should be battling in the corners and on the defensive side of the puck.

For a guy with his size and skill set, he could be dominant if he had the will. I hope he eventually gets there.

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
It should be impossible to have a decade of 9 top 10 picks including 4 1st overalls and have as little depth as the Oilers have.
It was so unfair that after all the failed picks they still got McDavid. I’ve despised that franchise ever since.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I watched it.

Matthews needs to be held to a higher standard than most of our forwards because of his ability and his contract that will kick in soon. He should be leading by example every shift, but he just doesn't seem as engaged as he should be battling in the corners and on the defensive side of the puck.

For a guy with his size and skill set, he could be dominant if he had the will. I hope he eventually gets there.

Watch it again, you missed the part where Matthews had zero support from his wingers due to their inability to pass the puck.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The Leafs stand a better chance against Boston than Pittsburgh

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Havent even looked into the numbers but don't really care that Hyman - Matthews - Nylander was easily the best line we've had the past 3 years.

They consistently tilted the ice and Matthews and Nylander pushed the pace and were always dangerous.

The truth is Matthews is a score first player that is best suited with someone who can create space with his speed but also have strong playmaking skills (which Kap doesn't really have).

I like Kapanen as a player but think Nylanders playmaking skills fit better with a trigger man.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
The Oilers beat the Bruins once in overtime like a week into the season and the Leafs beat the Oilers twice. This is supposed to be proof of what exactly ?

That some posters dwell on the negative even though it was a win just because we did not score 50 goals.

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Matthews has another dozen or so games to get this play out of his system

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Havent even looked into the numbers but don't really care that Hyman - Matthews - Nylander was easily the best line we've had the past 3 years.

They consistently tilted the ice and Matthews and Nylander pushed the pace and were always dangerous.

The truth is Matthews is a score first player that is best suited with someone who can create space with his speed but also have strong playmaking skills (which Kap doesn't really have).

I like Kapanen as a player but think Nylanders playmaking skills fit better with a trigger man.

That line + the Marner/JT combo would prove deadly in the playoffs against the Bruins.

Leave Kadri and Kapanen to clean up what’s left of their defenders

Reactions: weems

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010

Lines should be
Hyman - Matthews - nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - marner
Marleau - kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Gauthier - Moore

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Damnit, missed the first period and fell asleep after Tavares goal.

So much for another wild Saturday night.......:skeptic:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1. You cannot dislike a player bc of his contract esp if that player is still producing.
2. 11.634 for 5 years and 17 for another 8 yrs is a lot bette than 11.634 for 8 yrs and another 20 for 8 years.
Not defending Dubas but since Matthews is someone we want to see retire as a Leafs and have a statue outside the Ice, maybe playing the 5 yrs and 8 yrs is much better than 8yrs and 8 yrs.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I watched it.

Yeah I’m not too thrilled with what I’ve seen of Matthews.

Hopefully he’s one of these modern mindset stars who ease up until playoffs. He has had some injury bites.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I agree.

This team's "mental toughness" has me a bit worried at times, especially with Boston coming in the playoffs. However tonight is not an example of fragility.

They took a 3 goal lead for granted and played lazy for a couple minutes. It's a good lesson for the playoffs; skate with intensity until the final buzzer.
82 game seasons are very long, especially with the mental and physical fatigue that comes with playing hockey. Not to mention the travel. You are absolutely right saying today is not an example of fragility.

Reactions: Jmo89

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Babcock will never change his mind, just like there was nothing Leivo could ever do to change the way Babcock thought of him.
You guys have short memories.
Do you remember when Johnsson was scratched?
He changed his mind when he started to play better

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Lines should be
Hyman - Matthews - nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - marner
Marleau - kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Gauthier - Moore
Just don’t see them splitting up Hyman-Tavares-Marner line right now. Tavares trigger man, Marner playmaker and Hyman great forechecker and around the net. I think Moore would be a great fit as a Hyman role on the forecheck and can also create, but I know he’s young in this.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Matthews - Nylander
Johnnson - Kadri - Kapenen
Ennis - Marleau - Brown

PP 1

Matthews - Tavares - Marner - Johnnson - Reilly

PP 2

Kadri - Nylander - Kapenen - Ennis - Gardiner (healthy)

PK
Hyman - Marner
Kapenen - Marleau
Brown

Last edited:
Reactions: Palio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad