Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat McDavid again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babcock will never change his mind, just like there was nothing Leivo could ever do to change the way Babcock thought of him.

Don't sweat it much because they will definitely be together the last ten games or less and playoffs.

That would not give much to scout before playoffs. Kappy is the worst possible right winger for Matthews with his game breaking speed and shoot first mantality.

Willy can pass and set up and shoot and possess the puck for long periods while Matthews finds the open ice.

I can't believe how many one and done forchecks and shots happen with that current line.

Its a damn fact that Nylander and Matthews sustained ozone pressure off the chart better than Matthews current line mates!!!

If Babcock continued not putting them together innthe playoffs he would be undermining the teams success by doing that. He has to come around.

I seriously don't like Johnsson or kappy with matthews. Its to much of the same style in each player to make it work.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Don't sweat it much because they will definitely be together the last ten games or less and playoffs.

That would not give much to scout before playoffs.

I understand the idea, but no team would not be prepared to face Matthews and Nylander together. All they would have to do is watch game tape from a year ago.

Kappy is the worst possible right winger for Matthews with his game breaking speed and shoot first mantality.

Willy can pass and set up and shoot and possess the puck for long periods while Matthews finds the open ice.

I can't believe how many one and done forchecks and shots happen with that current line.

Its a damn fact that Nylander and Matthews sustained ozone pressure off the chart better than Matthews current line mates!!!

All very true.

If Babcock continued not putting them together innthe playoffs he would be undermining the teams success by doing that. He has to come around.

I guess I just have far less faith in Babs doing what is best for the teams' success. But maybe he will surprise me.

Reactions: weems

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let's face it, all this anti-Babcock sentiment is basically the fact that our $11.6 million franchise center is not producing, and the system isn't built in a way so he can have 2 G and 1 A every night en route to a scoring title.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Lol. Guys, guys, guys, we have a great management and a dork as a coach. Call it what it is.

But Shanny went out on the line for the guy, so we might have to suffer one more playoff run with this guy.

Its NOT going to go well. NOT at all. Get ready for it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lol. Guys, guys, guys, we have a great management and a dork as a coach. Call it what it is.

But Shanny went out on the line for the guy, so we might have to suffer one more playoff run with this guy.

Its NOT going to go well. NOT at all. Get ready for it.

I don't have a great feeling about our chances this year either in the first round against Boston, but that's more the fact that our 21 franchise center doesn't appear to be ready to take the next step and be a playoff beast against a veteran contender. This message board is sulking because Matthews isn't putting up 2G 1A every night and otherwise playing at a somewhat disinterested level.

We are sitting here with the 4th best record in the NHL, and the 3rd most wins. Just look at Phil Housley and Dan Bylsma in Buffalo or Todd MacLellan and Ken Hitchcock in Edmonton to see what a botched rebuild looks like.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I think it’s a eff u to dubas. I dare you to tell me what to do in game. Shanahan is going to have to choose this spring unless they win at least 2 series. Otherwise it’s reach a buyout with Babs and he heads for parts unknown (Edmonton for another fortune). And Dubas moves in Keefe to complete his vision.
If I’m Dubas, I do think about Keefe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It can't all be because of that, as my consistent anti-Babcock sentiment long predates the contract signing, and I have had all kinds of company during that time.

But again, what are you upset about, the 95 season after finishing 30th, or the 105 point season last year? Or the 4th overall, 107 point season we are on pace for this year?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't have a great feeling about our chances this year either in the first round against Boston, but that's more the fact that our 21 franchise center doesn't appear to be ready to take the next step and be a playoff beast against a veteran contender. This message board is sulking because Matthews isn't putting up 2G 1A every night and otherwise playing at a somewhat disinterested level.

We are sitting here with the 4th best record in the NHL, and the 3rd most wins. Just look at Phil Housley and Dan Bylsma in Buffalo or Todd MacLellan and Ken Hitchcock in Edmonton to see what a botched rebuild looks like.

Who are you talking about, management or coaching?

McDavid and Draisaitl produce the same if not more if they had a proper supporting cast. They don't, which is why the Oilers suck, you need more than 2 good players to make the playoffs. Your reasoning ultimately fails when everything gets taken into account.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
All I got from this game was that Brown is very, very sh*t.
He goes to the fourth line and suddenly the third line finally dominates.
Kadri and Willy looked good. Even Marleau played decent

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who are you talking about, management or coaching?

McDavid and Draisaitl produce the same if not more if they had a proper supporting cast. They don't, which is why the Oilers suck, you need more than 2 good players to make the playoffs. Your reasoning ultimately fails when everything gets taken into account.

There's plenty of young star players who put up fantastic production on tire fire teams. They lack support but all they do is run around padding score effects stats without having to play a proper two way game.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I guess Marner and Tavares can never play again after this season.
How is that the same?

You doubt Tavares' ability?

You doubt Marner's ability?

You doubt Nylander's ability?

Nylander has to prove himself still. He has to be just as good or close to being a 7 million dollar player.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
But again, what are you upset about, the 95 season after finishing 30th, or the 105 point season last year? Or the 4th overall, 107 point season we are on pace for this year?

Underachievement and poor player utilization.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
We’re 4th overall in the standings, we’re on pace to set a new franchise record in points just 1 season after breaking it.

We’re in a rare good time in Leafs history, yet there are still people not realizing how bad it used to be. Enjoy it.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
We’re 4th overall in the standings, we’re on pace to set a new franchise record in points just 1 season after breaking it.

We’re in a rare good time in Leafs history, yet there are still people not realizing how bad it used to be. Enjoy it.

Ya it's quite pathetic. Fans that would rather complain then appreciate a good team. Apparently teams are supposed to be flawless in an 82 game season.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
you mean like game 6 against Chicago? oh or games 4,5,6,7 against philly?

They learned from the Philly defeat and won a cup subsequently. Flyers have been middling in mediocrity since.

Game 6 against Chicago can hardly fault them for that. If we came back being down 4-1 in game 7 and won the series and still lost in the final we would be continuing to talk about the legendary playoff performance of the 2013 Leafs. Boston was playing with house money after that series. They beat a mediocre Rangers in six games and wept an average Penguins team. There was the emergance of Krug that playoff drive as well. They are a season and battle hardened team. We are not. Yet.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
They learned from the Philly defeat and won a cup subsequently. Flyers have been middling in mediocrity since.

Game 6 against Chicago can hardly fault them for that. If we came back being down 4-1 in game 7 and won the series and still lost in the final we would be continuing to talk about the legendary playoff performance of the 2013 Leafs. Boston was playing with house money after that series. They beat a mediocre Rangers in six games and wept an average Penguins team. There was the emergance of Krug that playoff drive as well. They are a season and battle hardened team. We are not. Yet.
naw you can't just create a narrative as you go....they're either this mythical fantasy playoff monster team that will never blow it in a "big moment" or theyre a good team that has ups and downs and sometimes those downs happened to come in game 4,5,6,7 to close out a series; or get crushed after taking the first away game in the next 4 or lose to a lower rank team in 6 games....

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
It seems like Matthews and Nylander should do and drive everything themself. But Marner and Tavares are great on there own... even thou they always play together. Try Nylander with Matthews at least five games or so. Nylander is up to speed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad