Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Bruins 4-2 without 2 of our best players.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They are without their #1C, their entire top pairing, and three more of their top 7 d-men. Nylander is not equivalent to almost their entire defense.

Yeah I think people are getting carried away here and I don't even want to think about what we'd look like with those kind of hits to our D. The fact that Boston has played as well as they have with all the injuries they've had is most impressive. Their fans are so obnoxious it's beyond belief but I have a ton of respect for that team and while it was great to beat them, it doesn't even come close to making up for what they've done to us in the playoffs. Nope, we're going to have to wait until at least next spring before we can make up for that so until then, I won't be doing much chirping.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I saw Dermott and Reilly out together a number of times. Wondering if this is going to be a thing going forward or if it was just an incomplete line change

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I saw Dermott and Reilly out together a number of times. Wondering if this is going to be a thing going forward or if it was just an incomplete line change

More about incomplete line changes last night but the pairing also has played a good amount of PK together as a 2nd unit.

Last night Rielly was almost exclusively with Hainsey and evenly with Gards/Zaitsev and Dermott around 2 minutes each.

Reactions: Kazparov

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Despite winning without two of our best players. I prefer to not have to play the Bruins in the playoffs if possible. We match up better against others. Afraid? no. Respect? Yes. Still hate them though...lol

Tiggaracing

Mar 2, 2014
I really hope we meet them in the playoffs cuz winning the cup will be so much sweeter stomping them on the way!

Boston fans = world's biggest trailerpark

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Before the playoffs,
Vegas oddsmakers thought Boston was a stronger contender.
Experts overwhelmingly thought Boston was a stronger contender.
Fans thought Boston was a stronger contender.

After the first 2 games of the first round, EVERYBODY thought Boston was a stronger contender.

Holtby going god mode off the bench was the absolute key to Washington turning it around last year and the team really rallied around that and played their best playoff hockey ever after years of disappointment. No one really gave them a chance last year though.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
More about incomplete line changes last night but the pairing also has played a good amount of PK together as a 2nd unit.

Last night Rielly was almost exclusively with Hainsey and evenly with Gards/Zaitsev and Dermott around 2 minutes each.
Thanks man. I figured it was that but I was really hopeful. They looked great together!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I for one don't want to meet Boston in playoffs this season. When they get their goalie back on track/playing again, when they get their top line defense back, when they get their number #1 centre back and the rest of their defense comes back they will be same team as last year. Yes Chara is a year older. Yes we have Tavares which will make us a better match but Tavares is not going to get the puck out of our end when Boston brings the forecheck. It is a very bad matchup for us. We are much better off playing Tampa or Buffalo in round 1. We can play with anyone in a quick temp fast puck moving north south game. We don't do as well with a fast heavy team which plays a half ice board strong game focused on the cycle to control the puck. We saw Pittsburgh play it. We saw Columbus play it. We saw Boston play it many times. These kinda games/teams are not good match ups for us in round 1. We do not have personnel to combat that style. They force us into the stretch pass game to get puck out of our end and we will get a couple nice ones from that play but overall we lose puck possession most of the time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Before the playoffs,
Vegas oddsmakers thought Boston was a stronger contender.
Experts overwhelmingly thought Boston was a stronger contender.
Fans thought Boston was a stronger contender.

After the first 2 games of the first round, EVERYBODY thought Boston was a stronger contender.

Holtby going god mode off the bench was the absolute key to Washington turning it around last year and the team really rallied around that and played their best playoff hockey ever after years of disappointment. No one really gave them a chance last year though.

I watched them play the Leafs and didn’t think they were a contender. They almost lost the series, IIRC.

Yes, Holtby’s strong play was another factor, in fact, almost every Cip winner in history has had stellar goaltending.

Edit: points in the Atlantic were deceiving last year with so many bottom dwellers.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

I've noticed Gards and Rielly out together mud line change, which is interesting because usually your LD would replace LD and RD replace RD. Seems maybe like LD is always the first over the boards to get our stronger side a little bit more ice time.

EDIT: Left side played about 10 min more than right side last night, and that gap mostly came at ES, so that's probably more than line changes account for.. seems Babcock is sneaking two left side D out for full shifts at times.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I for one don't want to meet Boston in playoffs this season. When they get their goalie back on track/playing again, when they get their top line defense back, when they get their number #1 centre back and the rest of their defense comes back they will be same team as last year. Yes Chara is a year older. Yes we have Tavares which will make us a better match but Tavares is not going to get the puck out of our end when Boston brings the forecheck. It is a very bad matchup for us. We are much better off playing Tampa or Buffalo in round 1. We can play with anyone in a quick temp fast puck moving north south game. We don't do as well with a fast heavy team which plays a half ice board strong game focused on the cycle to control the puck. We saw Pittsburgh play it. We saw Columbus play it. We saw Boston play it many times. These kinda games/teams are not good match ups for us in round 1. We do not have personnel to combat that style. They force us into the stretch pass game to get puck out of our end and we will get a couple nice ones from that play but overall we lose puck possession most of the time.

Montreal and the Rangers are the only 2 current playoff teams I’d feel confident facing in a series.
I’d like to think they could beat Buffalo, but I wouldn’t want to take that chance given the leafs history in Buffalo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Montreal and the Rangers are the only 2 current playoff teams I’d feel confident facing in a series.
I’d like to think they could beat Buffalo, but I wouldn’t want to take that chance given the leafs history in Buffalo

With the parity in the league, easy playoff matches are super hard to come by, that's for sure. Boston is the last team I'd want to play in the 1st round (with the possible exception of TB), I want to win a round first, then bring 'em on.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I don't see Buffalo staying in the top 3 in the division, and not sure Montreal or the NY Rangers will even make the playoffs.
I don't see why the Leafs couldn't beat the Pastrnaks this year, especially if they get home ice.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I watched them play the Leafs and didn’t think they were a contender. They almost lost the series, IIRC.

Yes, Holtby’s strong play was another factor, in fact, almost every Cip winner in history has had stellar goaltending.

Edit: points in the Atlantic were deceiving last year with so many bottom dwellers.

Both Boston and the Leafs had amazingly good numbers against the top teams in the league, the Leafs even more so or so I remember. Their records wernt built on feasting on lower ranked teams but solid wins against the big boys in the league.

The NHL playoff structure is completely biased against good divisions right now. Should a top 5 team in the league not get home ice in the playoffs?

Or even think about it this way. The 5th best team in the league met the 6th best team in the cup final last year. No one seemed shocked. The 4th best (Boston) met the 7th best (Leafs) in the first round. What a joke. Boston was behind the 8 ball right away due to the crap system in place to begin with.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I would be ok playing Buffalo. Teams usually need to find their way in the playoffs first and overcome adversity. Buffalo will be playoff neophytes and I take the Leafs and their recent playoff experience every time.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
With the parity in the league, easy playoff matches are super hard to come by, that's for sure. Boston is the last team I'd want to play in the 1st round (with the possible exception of TB), I want to win a round first, then bring 'em on.
Same here. Also you don't want an epic series in round 1. It drains everyone. We need to focus on getting 1st place in division and playing a wild card team. But honestly if Boston drops because of injuries and is in position for the wildcard and we are fighting with Tampa for 1st then let Tampa have 1st place and play Buffalo in round 1. Then take on winner after they have their epic round 1.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Actually getting there is no easy task. Got to do that first.
The Leafs roster doesn’t appear to be built for much playoff success. I keep hoping their playing rope a dope and will surprise us in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't see Buffalo staying in the top 3 in the division, and not sure Montreal or the NY Rangers will even make the playoffs.
I don't see why the Leafs couldn't beat the Pastrnaks this year, especially if they get home ice.

Of course we could beat them. It would be a tough battle though and there's certainly a good chance that we would lose. I'd prefer to take my chances against someone else.

Same here. Also you don't want an epic series in round 1. It drains everyone. We need to focus on getting 1st place in division and playing a wild card team. But honestly if Boston drops because of injuries and is in position for the wildcard and we are fighting with Tampa for 1st then let Tampa have 1st place and play Buffalo in round 1. Then take on winner after they have their epic round 1.

I think that's an interesting (and valid) point about an epic 1st round series. I wouldn't also prefer Buffalo to Boston in round one but whatever, all we can do is play the games and see how things fall into place.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Bruins give Zaitsev and Hainsey a super tough time because they panic under pressure(Zaitsev) and are slow as ass and can't make a play(Hainsey).

Going against the Bruins I'd like to see

Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Holl/Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad