Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Bruins 4-2 without 2 of our best players.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Actually getting there is no easy task. Got to do that first.

True enough. The way we're playing though I'm not too worried about it though.

The Leafs roster doesn’t appear to be built for much playoff success. I keep hoping their playing rope a dope and will surprise us in the playoffs.

I know what you mean and TBH, I would feel better about our playoff chances if we had a couple more players like Kadri who thrive on the going getting tough so to speak (and I'm amazed that some people still want to trade him, mind blowing stuff). I still think that we can win the way we're built though, just gotta finally get past that 1st round hurdle and then maybe everyone gets that little extra boost of confidence and that magically adds a bit of grit to everyone's game? Maybe that's wishful thinking I dunno but I think that all we really need is the right attitude and everyone playing with just a little bit more grit in their game. Maybe what we need is for that gentle giant Matthews to punch someone in the head in the 1st round, that, I'm pretty sure that would wake everyone up. :laugh::laugh:

Or, maybe we don't need that and can win by skating circles around everyone, we'll see.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Both Boston and the Leafs had amazingly good numbers against the top teams in the league, the Leafs even more so or so I remember. Their records wernt built on feasting on lower ranked teams but solid wins against the big boys in the league.

The NHL playoff structure is completely biased against good divisions right now. Should a top 5 team in the league not get home ice in the playoffs?

Or even think about it this way. The 5th best team in the league met the 6th best team in the cup final last year. No one seemed shocked. The 4th best (Boston) met the 7th best (Leafs) in the first round. What a joke. Boston was behind the 8 ball right away due to the crap system in place to begin with.

Aside from picking the teams that make the tournament the regular season success is almost meaningless. The playoffs are a completely different season with a different style of play. I hope that continues again this year.

I agree, they should seed 1-8 and worry less about creating rivalries, because I think they’ll naturally occur throughout a 7 game series.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Aside from picking the teams that make the tournament the regular season success is almost meaningless. The playoffs are a completely different season with a different style of play. I hope that continues again this year.

I agree, they should seed 1-8 and worry less about creating rivalries, because I think they’ll naturally occur throughout a 7 game series.

I think they should seed 1-8 because having two top 5 teams meet in the 1st round is idiotic and the way our division looks, it's possible this is exactly what might happen every spring for the next 3-4 seasons.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
True enough. The way we're playing though I'm not too worried about it though.

I know what you mean and TBH, I would feel better about our playoff chances if we had a couple more players like Kadri who thrive on the going getting tough so to speak (and I'm amazed that some people still want to trade him, mind blowing stuff). I still think that we can win the way we're built though, just gotta finally get past that 1st round hurdle and then maybe everyone gets that little extra boost of confidence and that magically adds a bit of grit to everyone's game? Maybe that's wishful thinking I dunno but I think that all we really need is the right attitude and everyone playing with just a little bit more grit in their game. Maybe what we need is for that gentle giant Matthews to punch someone in the head in the 1st round, that, I'm pretty sure that would wake everyone up. :laugh::laugh:

Or, maybe we don't need that and can win by skating circles around everyone, we'll see.

I don’t want to watch players “stick checking” in the playoffs. It’s boring and counter productive.

Last night there was a play when 2 Leafs tried to stick check Marchand while he was looking DOWN at the puck in his feet.
PLEASE tell me they wouldn’t pass up that opportunity in a playoff game.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think they should seed 1-8 because having two top 5 teams meet in the 1st round is idiotic and the way our division looks, it's possible this is exactly what might happen every spring for the next 3-4 seasons.

I agree, they need to go back to the old seeding. But I get it from an entertainment standpoint, games matter more. You have to literally try and win every game now to get that first seed to play a wildcard team.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Bruins give Zaitsev and Hainsey a super tough time because they panic under pressure(Zaitsev) and are slow as ass and can't make a play(Hainsey).

Going against the Bruins I'd like to see

Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Holl/Oz

Hainsey, Zaitsev and Gards are a tire fire against Pasternak and Marchand.

At least Rielly and Dermott can skate with them.

Simply put the leafs need a D man that can shut down that line.

Reactions: Al14 and Critical91

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don’t want to watch players “stick checking” in the playoffs. It’s boring and counter productive.

Last night there was a play when 2 Leafs tried to stick check Marchand while he was looking DOWN at the puck in his feet.

Some leveling action would be nice once in a while, throw a hit. Stick swords it is I guess :(

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Stick checking is an important part of playing good defense. If you take the body every single time you WILL get burned at least once if not more, NHLers are faster and shiftier than ever before, especially the top skill guys.

In fact, the best example is Marner. Bruce Cassidy said after the game that the Bruins try to play Marner hard, but that even then they couldn't stop him because he is so slippery and evades checks.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Stick checking is an important part of playing good defense. If you take the body every single time you WILL get burned at least once if not more, NHLers are faster and shiftier than ever before, especially the top skill guys.

In fact, the best example is Marner. Bruce Cassidy said after the game that the Bruins try to play Marner hard, but that even then they couldn't stop him because he is so slippery and evades checks.

Yeah but when it starts looking a little like fencing, how can you help but laugh? It sounded like this at times...

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Anyone think maybe there's a reason Boston is getting injured more than usual? They play a high tempo style with older players and ATOI isn't ideal for their top players over a long season.

We all want to see the best players on the Leafs play as much as possible but not to the extent that we end up with a crowded infirmary.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Oh, completely agree the playoff vibe changes everything.

You know what was so interesting about what went down last year though? How predictable things went for the Atlantic. Almost everyone predicted Tampa would have an easy first round, the Leafs/Boston series would be the closest of the first round and an absolute war and then Tampa would knock out who was left fairly easily. That was the no brainer betting option. No one really saw the Caps finally beating the Pens and then the Bolts coming but how the Atlantic played out was completely predictable.

I'm guessing you suggesting we pick up some more grit for the playoffs with our deadline trades this year?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't mind watching stick checking as long as we win. I didn't catch that play last night but yeah, if the chance is there to pound Marchand hard (legally) the we should take it for sure.

I agree, they need to go back to the old seeding. But I get it from an entertainment standpoint, games matter more. You have to literally try and win every game now to get that first seed to play a wildcard team.

I'd rather have a fair playoff format and an easier path to the 2nd round, that would be plenty entertaining for me. :)

Reactions: francis246

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

sweet baby jeebuzz, i wouldn't pass up that opportunity in an all-star game, I lived for that hit when i played

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Hainsey, Zaitsev and Gards are a tire fire against Pasternak and Marchand.

At least Rielly and Dermott can skate with them.

Simply put the leafs need a D man that can shut down that line.

Strictly judging on the playoffs last year,

Rielly/Hainsey were a tire fire against those two. This had a lot to do with our "shutdown" forwards being abysmal though.

Gards/Zaitsev were certainly better in their own zone but made some bad pinches and struggled against the rush.

Dermott/Polak never saw them much but Dermott struggled pretty bad in the playoffs overall.

On the PK against them, Zaitsev had one bad period in which 2 goals were scored with him on the ice. (one Anderson deflected off his skate). Other than that, the PK never gave up a goal with him on the ice. Hainsey and Polak struggled a bit more but I Polak is gone and I expect Hainsey to be much improved this post season with his reduced minutes.

Defensively, the most disappointing players last playoffs were Rielly, Dermott and Hainsey.....and Gards in game 7 I guess but Anderson didnt do him any favors.

Inconsistent Anderson and abysmal forward defensive play were bigger factors than the defense overall though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Oh, completely agree the playoff vibe changes everything.

You know what was so interesting about what went down last year though? How predictable things went for the Atlantic. Almost everyone predicted Tampa would have an easy first round, the Leafs/Boston series would be the closest of the first round and an absolute war and then Tampa would knock out who was left fairly easily. That was the no brainer betting option. No one really saw the Caps finally beating the Pens and then the Bolts coming but how the Atlantic played out was completely predictable.

I'm guessing you suggesting we pick up some more grit for the playoffs with our deadline trades this year?

At the beginning of the playoffs I picked the winner of the CBJ Wash series to play Nash in the final.

Yes, I believe the Leafs will need to add a dimension of physical play if they want success in the playoffs.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Man I hate the Bruins. They say we overrate ourselves, look at them. After getting past us in the playoffs they acted like they won the cup. But I do admit for some reason Bruins go crazy when they play Leafs. We need to find a way to totally destroy them come playoffs. Leafs need to overcome their weaknesses.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Man I hate the Bruins. They say we overrate ourselves, look at them. After getting past us in the playoffs they acted like they won the cup. But I do admit for some reason Bruins go crazy when they play Leafs. We need to find a way to totally destroy them come playoffs. Leafs need to overcome their weaknesses.
With a full, healthy roster I could see us skating circles around them in the playoffs.

Not to sound like a broken record, but 1 more dman who can close gaps, skate, and defend well would be ideal for this matchup.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

I agree in part but there's also the side of me that thinks you're going to have to beat these teams eventually so what difference does it make when? Unless we care about some artificial achievement of "getting out of the first round" only to turn lose to the team we're avoiding on the first round.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree in part but there's also the side of me that thinks you're going to have to beat these teams eventually so what difference does it make when? Unless we care about some artificial achievement of "getting out of the first round" only to turn lose to the team we're avoiding on the first round.

It makes an enormous difference. The most likely outcome is having to beat 4 really tough opponents to win the cup instead of 3 which has a substantial impact on the chances of us actually winning the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad