Rumor: Leafs are searching for a GM and coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Just ****in name the GM already already you heard me. There are so many great great coaches available right now so we NEED TO GET EM!!!!!!!!!! We can't get them if we don't have a GM. Nobody great wants to become with us if they don't who they work for.

Shanahan, don't ruin my organization. I might be investing into the organization in the future again if they all do things correctly.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Why is Shero considered A good gm? He was handed TWO generational talents and arguably squandered their talents. Futa actually has more Cup rings

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Only reason I can think Babcock would come to us is EGO. He wants to be that guy to bring a cup to Toronto, be forever remembered in the record books.

I honestly dont think ANY team currently looking for a coach is a cup contender anyway, Buffalo has years of growing to do, EDM is years away and isnt exactly the best place to live.(very young, Need D and G) Toronto is years away and Philly is kind of stuck in the middle. Detroit as well is extremely young and the star vets are nearing retirement within a few years.

It's not like he's looking at Anaheim, Chicago, or an up and comer like tampa, Minny, Colorado etc.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
LOL. I can't take coaching advanced stats seriously. Do you ?

There are just too many moving pieces. Babcock coaching the Oilers is a much different story than coaching the Red Wings. You may be able to show tendencies of his players after he has had time to influence them, but even that is difficult with players being taught the team system on the farm long before arriving.

Carlyle had almost the exact same negative stats before/after his transition from the Ducks to the Leafs, and they continued to go down hill the entire time in almost a linear fashion.

Too much of a coincidence to not put at least a little stock into the stats.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Carlyle had almost the exact same negative stats before/after his transition from the Ducks to the Leafs, and they continued to go down hill the entire time in almost a linear fashion.

Too much of a coincidence to not put at least a little stock into the stats.

I fully understand that people want to transition towards the analytics movement in hockey. Seems like an interesting thing to get behind if people can prove that it works.

The problem is that how do you make those adjustments in game?

If the stats tell you that your #1 centreman is getting torched on a specific night in the defensive zone, do you just ignore that and go with the stats or do you go with the best players that will give you the best chance to win?

Until people can prove specific situations with advanced stats, I'm going to be skeptical on how it can work. I'd love to hear a current successful NHL coach come out and say, based on corsi, I changed my gameplan to ______ .

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I fully understand that people want to transition towards the analytics movement in hockey. Seems like an interesting thing to get behind if people can prove that it works.

The problem is that how do you make those adjustments in game?

If the stats tell you that your #1 centreman is getting torched on a specific night in the defensive zone, do you just ignore that and go with the stats or do you go with the best players that will give you the best chance to win?

Until people can prove specific situations with advanced stats, I'm going to be skeptical on how it can work. I'd love to hear a current successful NHL coach come out and say, based on corsi, I changed my gameplan to ______ .

its best used to evaluate player value and help choose who to retain and who to move

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Montreal has a coach and theres no indication they're going to fire him. The whole thing was started by the Leafs Lunch guys speculating.

Not at all, I posted a few months ago on this board I thought Montreal would be a possible destination for babs

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
I have a feeling no GM wants the job here because Shanahan basically put all managment pieces together already..I hope im wrong and we get Futa or Gorton soon.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
According to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, Brendan Shanahan’s ultra-secretive search for a general manager meanders on with a large portion of the hockey world left wondering exactly where the wealthiest team in the National Hockey League is headed.

Whatever the Shanaplan involves — and that seems to include the hiring or wooing of a Maple Leafs coach before he hires the next Leafs general manager — it does not centre around anything resembling conventional hockey thinking or order.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/11/leafs-gm-search-leaves-many-scratching-their-heads

Poor Simmons & his media buddies, not feeling like "insiders"? Shanahan not clearing it with you guys on his modus operandi? How could Shanahan be ignoring fired GM re-treads? It's not like they would have been fired for a legitimate reason. How could he be thinking outside the box?

Keep it up Shanny, the more you stray from the NHL old boy norm, the more I like it.

If I'm Shanahan & I could hire a GM & a coach this week & (a) owe compensation of a 2nd & 3rd round draft pick & be accepted in the SOP's of the NHL or (b) wait 51 days & owe zero compensation & be looked at differently by the "normal" crowd. I would pick (b).

To the GM that made the comment, "Are the Leafs running a junior team or an NHL team? Dubas is still tied in to the Soo. Hunter is still tied in to London." Ahhh, SO? What a pretentious dick, idiot.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If that happens, it would mean that Babcock's sees great upside in our prospects. We'd probably keep Phaneuf due to his legitimate all-round ability and move Bozak, Kessel, Lupul and Gardiner.

JVR - Kadri - Panik
LW - Holland - Bailey
Komarov - 3C - RW
LW - Carrick - RW

LHD - Phaneuf
Rielly - RHD
LHD - Polak

Bernier
Backup

You think we'd draft Hanifin, acquire a right winger in Scherbak and rebuild a team that accommodates Babcock's vision. Honestly, I can't see that happening...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Poor Simmons & his media buddies, not feeling like "insiders"? Shanahan not clearing it with you guys on his modus operandi? How could Shanahan be ignoring fired GM re-treads? It's not like they would have been fired for a legitimate reason. How could he be thinking outside the box?

Keep it up Shanny, the more you stray from the NHL old boy norm, the more I like it.

If I'm Shanahan & I could hire a GM & a coach this week & (a) owe compensation of a 2nd & 3rd round draft pick & be accepted in the SOP's of the NHL or (b) wait 51 days & owe zero compensation & be looked at differently by the "normal" crowd. I would pick (b).

To the GM that made the comment, "Are the Leafs running a junior team or an NHL team? Dubas is still tied in to the Soo. Hunter is still tied in to London." Ahhh, SO? What a pretentious dick, idiot.

Yep. Simmons seems even more bitter than usual. Pretty obvious he misses getting spoonfed information by the Nonis/Carlyle regime.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hofford is an interesting name. He's the director of scouting for the London Knights.

Mark Hunter wants to be GM? Give it to him. Please do.

President - Brendan Shanahan
General Manager - Mark Hunter
Assistant General Manager - Kyle Dubas
Assistant General Manager & Goaltending Consultant - Sean Burke
Director of Player Personnel - Lindsay Hofford
Director of Player Development - Steve Staios

Head Coach - Dale Hunter
Assistant Coach - (Paul MacLean?)
Assistant Coach - (Sheldon Keefe?)
Goaltending Coach - ????

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

while he’s being squired across the continent like a visiting monarch, everyone dropping to their knees as he enters the rink, we’ve all decided mike babcock is the best coach in hockey. Not “one of†or “arguably.†just the best, full-stop.

Why is that?

His nhl record is impressive, though no more impressive than several others. He’s taken about 63 per cent of available regular-season points through his career – a little south of anaheim’s bruce boudreau and the off-season’s 1a option, todd mclellan. Babcock hasn’t gotten the detroit red wings through the second round of the playoffs in the past six seasons.

He’s won a single stanley cup – a mark matched or bettered by six other current coaches. He works for ken holland, the nhl’s best spotter of undervalued and/or unrecognized talent. Wherever he ends up, it’s going to be a lot harder to look just as good.

It’s a great résumé, but it doesn’t scream “scotty bowman 2.0.â€

instead, babcock’s imaginative appeal relies on two things – his olympic record and his essential babcockness.

We take it as an article of faith that whoever coaches canada is the best there is, in much the same way we assume the pope is the keenest catholic. If an american or russian asked to put this idea to the test, they’d be waved off as if they’d asked to carbon date the martyrs’ bones. Canada is hockey. The guy in charge of canada is the hockey-est.

Babcock’s universally acknowledged professional superlative boils down to four weeks and two gold medals, in vancouver and sochi. There’s nothing wrong with that. Considering there are no opportunities outside a winter games to stitch a team together, the job of canada’s olympic hockey coach may be the most arbitrarily pressurized in all of international sport. All you can really do is throw the guys out on the ice and pray.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Hofford is an interesting name. He's the director of scouting for the London Knights.

Head Coach - Dale Hunter
Goaltending Coach - ????

We are not the London Knights. We are a professional organization.

Let's keep that in mind.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I know free agency starts at July 1 but when is trade freeze lifted is it right stanley cup final

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Head Coach - Dale Hunter
Goaltending Coach - ????

I like all that but why not have Burke as Goalie Coach not just a consultant?
This is a solid group of people who have a great hockey collective.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
So you have to give up a draft pick if you sign Mike Babcock? The dude is a free agent in a couple months. That's completely ridiculous.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know free agency starts at July 1 but when is trade freeze lifted is it right stanley cup final

There is no trade freeze. Teams are allowed to trade whenever they want with the exception of the Christmas trade freeze.

After the "deadline", players traded aren't eligible to play in the playoffs

However, the League frowns upon team trading during the playoffs. They want all the attention on the games, though, there is no official "freeze"

I like all that but why not have Burke as Goalie Coach not just a consultant?
This is a solid group of people who have a great hockey collective.

Yeah, Sean Burke can be goalie coach.

But isn't the reason he left ARI is to focus more on the management side of things? I mean he was AGM and goalie coach in ARI.

Bps21*

He already lost the Winnipeg trade & that was with Cheveldayoff having his hand tied behind his back.

Hilarious. Because Tyler Myers got secondary assists? He's not good. Even the sabres won more after they moved him.

They got Kane for a rental, pick in the late 20s and two prospects who weren't even in the organizational top 5. If that's losing a deal I hope he loses 3 more just like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad