Rumor: Leafs are searching for a GM and coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Didn't find any coach threads up here, so decided to do one. Who would you like to be our new coach in charge? The Big Boss Man? We should be signing that man or a women up real fast now. So we can get it going again. Who would serve our legendary organization the best? Tell and discuss.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Jeff Blashill - The Detroit people seem to want him more than Babcock. That says it all. He developed all those young stars Detroit has in Grand Rapids so he must be good for our soon to be team of youngsters.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, Jeff Blashill makes a lot of sense.

Underrated Name: Dale Hawerchuk from the Barrie Colts

Dale Hunter is another name.

Rufio65*

Current New York Islanders Assistant coach and Assistant GM.. Doug Weight.

Badger25

Jul 23, 2012
Toronto
Ideally Babcock or McLellan. personally I think they both want to coach competitors immediately. If babcock remains in Detroit I think the consensus target is Blashill

If Dave Tippett or Ken Hitchcock is fired I think they will be heavily sought after.

I think it was LeBrun that said about 10 coaches will be looking for new jobs this summer, it should be interesting to see who is willing to take on the leafs project

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
McLellan or Babcock/Blashill. Hitchcock would be great too if the Blues let him go.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Jeff Blashill - The Detroit people seem to want him more than Babcock. That says it all. He developed all those young stars Detroit has in Grand Rapids so he must be good for our soon to be team of youngsters.

This X 100!!!!

He's perfect for the role, make it happen Shanny!

Durkin67

Less to do with who and more to do with what...
As in what level of autonomy and job security he will have.

Stability breeds success. The Leafs have never demonstrated organisational stability.
Whoever they hire, he needs to be signed long term. No 2-3 year deals. 6-7 year deal they can't justify a firing over. The days of the inmates running the asylum need to come to an end.

That said:

1. Babcock (7 years, 6.5 million, Head Coach and associate GM)
2. Blashill (4 years, 1.5 million) Head Coach
3. McLellan (4 years, 2 million) H.C.
4. Paulrus (4years, 2 million) H.C.
5. Hitch if he's fired (4 years 2.5 million) H.C.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
I'd like two hires:

We could go one of two ways for the Leafs head job, either experience in Babcock/McLellan or we see something in an unproven guy like Blashill. Either way, this coach needs a degree of patience and understanding that this project needs to be long-term, that management may actively derail their team, etc. This coach should have an understanding that we're trying to build a 4-line team which is difficult to play against, and develop a group that cares about one another.

Second, I'd love Sheldon Keefe to be apart of this organization in some form. Our young players will likely be very talented and used to dominating at almost every level. I'm talking Nylander, Strome/Marner/Hanifin, our second 1st in 2015 and our 2016 1st. We need a system from top to bottom of players playing a consistent, team-based style of hockey, and I believe Keefe would be invaluable to implementing it. He's just done a spectacular job in the Soo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd like two hires:

We could go one of two ways for the Leafs head job, either experience in Babcock/McLellan or we see something in an unproven guy like Blashill. Either way, this coach needs a degree of patience and understanding that this project needs to be long-term, that management may actively derail their team, etc. This coach should have an understanding that we're trying to build a 4-line team which is difficult to play against, and develop a group that cares about one another.

Second, I'd love Sheldon Keefe to be apart of this organization in some form. Our young players will likely be very talented and used to dominating at almost every level. I'm talking Nylander, Strome/Marner/Hanifin, our second 1st in 2015 and our 2016 1st. We need a system from top to bottom of players playing a consistent, team-based style of hockey, and I believe Keefe would be invaluable to implementing it. He's just done a spectacular job in the Soo.

I see Sheldon Keefe as one of the assistant coaches for sure. I think he needs a little more pro experience and can be a head coach later, but right now, baby steps. He'd be great as either the AHL head coach (if Dineen is fired) or an NHL assistant coach.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
McLellan or Babcock/Blashill. Hitchcock would be great too if the Blues let him go.

I think Hitchcock's contract is up this year.

My choices are McLellan & Hitchcock. I think Hitchcock is a better coach but I feel McLellan may be better with a younger team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'd like two hires:

i have a feeling the moment the soo is eliminated, Dubas will be calling his buddy and saying "So. how about being Marlies coach for a few years?"

i am going to say this until i am blue in the face.
I don't think Babcock should be made GM/AGM and if that's what it takes to get him here then i think we should go somewhere else.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd like Blashill. He's done well developing talent in a strong organization and I like the fact that he isn't a recycled coach.

Tippett would also be high on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad