Rumor: Leafs are searching for a GM and coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
it is sounding more and more that the media is freaking out (for the most part) that they are going to be getting the Ninja-dust treatment from Shanahan.

the line that Lamorello believes in him and that's nice, but the Leaf fans need to believe in him and he's not getting sexy names....

Simmons is pouting me thinks. we don't need Sexy Names. we need a name that can get the job done.

You last sentence is spot on. Who cares about te name a guy has as long as he's getting the job done. In fact I prefer non sexy names of sexy names.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Hockey News mentioned the possibility of the Toronto Maple Leafs hiring Lindsay Hoffard on April 12, 2015.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/why-the-maple-leafs-should-try-to-get-mike-futa-or-paul-fenton/

Futa-640x426.jpg

Mike Futa

The Leafs need someone who will come and won’t talk about winning Stanley Cups. They need a hockey man whose first priority will to be to restore some pride to the on-ice product and who will have the patience and vision to see through a proper rebuilding program that does not contain any short cuts.

Futa is that kind of man. So is Fenton. Both have a vast amount of knowledge of players at every level and the inner workings of the NHL. Futa was one of the main cogs in the building the Kings into a two-time Stanley Cup winner and is former Ontario League GM who is currently mentoring Rob Blake with the Kings. Fenton has worked at the foot of David Poile in Nashville, was with Anaheim prior to that and has had a remarkable record of drafting NHL talent, particularly defensemen. In case you hadn’t noticed, Nashville has had a few good ones over the past decade or so.

Neither Futa nor Fenton would bring the kind of cachet that a bigger name might attract, but that’s the last thing the Maple Leafs need right now. This is an organization that has during the salary cap era, repeatedly and consistently made the wrong assessment on players, both in the amateur and NHL ranks and that’s why they’re in the position they find themselves now. From the days of letting Steve Sullivan and Jason Smith go for nothing to signing Justin Pogge over Tuukka Rask to signing David Clarkson, the Leafs have had a mind-boggling and uncanny inability to properly evaluate talent. Two years ago, they thought the core of this team was destined for greatness on the basis of almost winning one round of the playoffs. Management then tied its future to the wrong people and the results have been disastrous.

You’d have to think Mark Hunter, who currently holds down the post of director of player personnel for the Leafs, would be another serious candidate. And even though he has virtually no NHL experience, he has built the most formidable junior program in the Canadian Hockey League with the London Knights. If he’s named GM, don’t be surprised if Hunter appoints a guy by the name of Lindsay Hofford, who runs the Pro Hockey Development group and has long ties with Hunter that go back to minor hockey and the Knights, to head up the scouting department.

Whomever the Leafs hire, one thing is clear. The days of the quick fix should be over for good. That should be the case with the GM and the coach. Anyone who presents a plan to Shanahan that rushes that process should be immediately taken out of the running. After all, the Leafs have taken almost 50 years to get where they are. It’s going to take more than a couple to get them out of the abyss.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Hofford replaces Morrison after the draft, or maybe even in the near future if Morrison stays onboard for a little longer.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Wouldn't that make Edmonton and Buffalo desirable locations as they have some elite young talent for Babs to work with?

I would guess bigger stage, money and mentioned in the interview, a conection with Shanahan but it does boil down to Legacy's opinion however he knows Babcock pretty well and gives a lot of his insight, on the way Babcock coaches, so an interesting slant on why he might become our Head Coach.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I hope the Leafs are Not interested in Mcclellan ...this is a guy who couldnt win in the playoffs with an All-Star team, so, I dont see him doing better with the Leafs!!

we need a coach who can turn garbage into a clean fuel and teach a proper system which we have not had since Pat Burns!!!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope the Leafs are Not interested in Mcclellan ...this is a guy who couldnt win in the playoffs with an All-Star team, so, I dont see him doing better with the Leafs!!

we need a coach who can turn garbage into a clean fuel and teach a proper system which we have not had since Pat Burns!!!

They said the same thing with Alain Vigneault (Canucks) and Bruce Boudreau (Caps). Ron Wilson also had the exact same issue in San Jose.

Maybe the team is the problem, not the other way around.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
And I thought Shanahan was just going to be the GM without having to name himself GM. Would be quite clever to get a GM puppet that can take the heat for the moves Shanahan makes.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wouldn't be surprised if Hofford replaces Morrison after the draft, or maybe even in the near future if Morrison stays onboard for a little longer.

I figured he'd take Hunters role if Hunter ends up GM.

Hofford is a good evaluator (like another poster mentioned, he's the one who convinced the Hunters to take Marner at the end of the 1st round in the OHL draft).

Hunter trusts him, would make sense to have him oversee the pro/scouting departments, and team with Hunter to the building/hiring of both units

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
However, the League frowns upon team trading during the playoffs. They want all the attention on the games, though, there is no official "freeze"

Didn't Arizona, which is owned by the league, make a trade during the playoffs at some point over the last couple of years?

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Manny says it wouldnt take Babcock long to get leafs to start winning. I don't think Manny watched much Leaf hockey this season.

Also Simmons is what's putrid about the Toronto Media.

Honestly. If Kessel starts scoring like an 80-point player again and Bernier plays half way decently, i don't think he's too far off. We wouldn't be a lock for the playoffs, but we'd be scratching at the door. I certainly don't think we'd be a lottery team again. But that's assuming Kessel isn't traded.

I think what this team needs more than anything is to obtain another forward on Kessel's level. Ideally someone who's even better. The question is, how do we get that guy without it appearing like we're "fast tracking" everything or taking shortcuts. Obviously we're hoping to draft him but that's why we're years away from competing. We desperately need to draft an elite level forward. No pressure, Mark Hunter. :laugh:

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
It sounds like Mcclellan is the Oilers first choice, but what about San Jose or St Louis, might Babcock be interested in those cities too.
Aaahahahaha good like with the koala mclellan oilers! :biglaugh: That man is not a great coach by any means. Fails in the playoffs everytime he gets a chance.

Wee need our Boucher villain or Babcock going on soon already. We need a steady booty to roll with. We don't need no haters nore wannabes. We need a steady friend who can give us something real good and firm.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I figured he'd take Hunters role if Hunter ends up GM.

Hofford is a good evaluator (like another poster mentioned, he's the one who convinced the Hunters to take Marner at the end of the 1st round in the OHL draft).

Hunter trusts him, would make sense to have him oversee the pro/scouting departments, and team with Hunter to the building/hiring of both units

I think your right, it may be hard to convince other prospective GM's, the direction they want to take and Hunter as GM with Dubas and Hofford would fill the bill.

The fact that both front-runners, Futa and Gorton are still part of their current teams and may in fact stay with them and could also play a part in this scenario.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
not as a GM but at as an assistant GM - by where he can work with Hunter etc on drafting and team system concepts, unless he would have that opportunity just as coaxh

That's still a GM........

I mean, most coaches (if not every coach) are consulted on moves made by the team anyway. A good relationship between your coach and GM is just common sense.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Honestly. If Kessel starts scoring like an 80-point player again and Bernier plays half way decently, i don't think he's too far off. We wouldn't be a lock for the playoffs, but we'd be scratching at the door. I certainly don't think we'd be a lottery team again. But that's assuming Kessel isn't traded.

I think what this team needs more than anything is to obtain another forward on Kessel's level. Ideally someone who's even better. The question is, how do we get that guy without it appearing like we're "fast tracking" everything or taking shortcuts. Obviously we're hoping to draft him but that's why we're years away from competing. We desperately need to draft an elite level forward. No pressure, Mark Hunter. :laugh:

That's why Kessel needs to be moved. If anyone thinks that Kessel will be part of this team when this team is ready to do damage then they are out to lunch, sorry to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad