Rumor: Leafs are searching for a GM and coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There is no trade freeze. Teams are allowed to trade whenever they want with the exception of the Christmas trade freeze.

After the "deadline", players traded aren't eligible to play in the playoffs

However, the League frowns upon team trading during the playoffs. They want all the attention on the games, though, there is no official "freeze"

Yeah, Sean Burke can be goalie coach.

But isn't the reason he left ARI is to focus more on the management side of things? I mean he was AGM and goalie coach in ARI.

Usually teams do not trade players until after playoffs - in other words its a self imposed freeze (make sense)

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
If that happens, it would mean that Babcock's sees great upside in our prospects. We'd probably keep Phaneuf due to his legitimate all-round ability and move Bozak, Kessel, Lupul and Gardiner.

JVR - Kadri - Panik
LW - Holland - Bailey
Komarov - 3C - RW
LW - Carrick - RW

LHD - Phaneuf
Rielly - RHD
LHD - Polak

Bernier
Backup

You think we'd draft Hanifin, acquire a right winger in Scherbak and rebuild a team that accommodates Babcock's vision. Honestly, I can't see that happening...

Let's see if I have this correctly. You have a guy in the first line who was picked up on waivers just this past season. That means that some other team decided that they wouldn't be too worried about either: a) the possibility that another team would want to pick him up; and b) on the off-chance that someone did pick him up, not receive any sort of compensation for the guy.

You've put this guy as one of the team's top 3 forwards.

And somehow this shows that the team has upside? Teams with upside don't put waiver pick-ups on their top lines, they slot them into bottom 3, maybe bottom 6 roles.

If that were the line-up, Babcock would be an imbecile to even contemplate coming to this lottery-bound trainwreck.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I fully understand that people want to transition towards the analytics movement in hockey. Seems like an interesting thing to get behind if people can prove that it works.

The problem is that how do you make those adjustments in game?

If the stats tell you that your #1 centreman is getting torched on a specific night in the defensive zone, do you just ignore that and go with the stats or do you go with the best players that will give you the best chance to win?

Until people can prove specific situations with advanced stats, I'm going to be skeptical on how it can work. I'd love to hear a current successful NHL coach come out and say, based on corsi, I changed my gameplan to ______ .

Building on what Mega John said, I don't think advanced hockey analytic will ever get to the point you are describing here. Sure, you can track things like possession in-game, but beyond that It just doesn't seem to be where it is headed.

Analytic can be best utilized by looking at a more "big picture" scenario (like in this example a coaches overall body of work from 5-6 years).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it is sounding more and more that the media is freaking out (for the most part) that they are going to be getting the Ninja-dust treatment from Shanahan.

the line that Lamorello believes in him and that's nice, but the Leaf fans need to believe in him and he's not getting sexy names....

Simmons is pouting me thinks. we don't need Sexy Names. we need a name that can get the job done.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Hilarious. Because Tyler Myers got secondary assists? He's not good. Even the sabres won more after they moved him.

They got Kane for a rental, pick in the late 20s and two prospects who weren't even in the organizational top 5. If that's losing a deal I hope he loses 3 more just like it

Yea okay, Kane probably would not have played another game with Winnipeg. The rental player had a PPG production in his short stay with Winnipeg higher than Kane has ever had in his career. Plus Tim Murray's 2nd round pick from last year & a first round pick from this year.

Add Myers who you say is "not good", but Maurice played him more than any player on the team, plus he was a previous Rookie of the year winner.

I won't even get into the character flaws of your centerpiece of the trade. Kane better hope Babcock doesn't coach there or he may see more of the Press Box than Mike Harrington.

You were right about one thing, hilarious.

thelittleredbaron

Feb 9, 2013
I really think it's Babcock all the way. I think it is the challenge more than anything else TBO. Why would you not want to spice up your job and do something that nobody has been able to do in a very long time. I mean Win in Toronto where so many have just struggled and come up short. He is very competitive and this is the perfect storm of a situation here.Move out some negative pieces and let's reboot this franchise with some respect here.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Let's see if I have this correctly. You have a guy in the first line who was picked up on waivers just this past season. That means that some other team decided that they wouldn't be too worried about either: a) the possibility that another team would want to pick him up; and b) on the off-chance that someone did pick him up, not receive any sort of compensation for the guy.

You've put this guy as one of the team's top 3 forwards.

And somehow this shows that the team has upside? Teams with upside don't put waiver pick-ups on their top lines, they slot them into bottom 3, maybe bottom 6 roles.

If that were the line-up, Babcock would be an imbecile to even contemplate coming to this lottery-bound trainwreck.
Regardless of what we do, rebuilding is obviously part of the plan. That roster is a transitional one rather than a final competing one. Since Babcock likes defensively strong hockey, we're probably going need to retain a veteran in Phaneuf.

Traditionally, Mike Babcock used longer, tape-to-tape passing generated by his Lidstrom/ Rafalski. In terms of our D core, Hanifin would provide dynamic break outs while Phaneuf uses a safer counterpart. Rielly, being an elite puck rusher, is going to allowed to make shorter, tighter passes. Pair him with a RHD that can make a good first pass and Babcock's happy. Since Gardiner doesn't play well when shackled to the back end, he's going to be underwhelming under him.

Hanifin - Phaneuf
Rielly - RHD
LHD - Polak

As for our forward core, a strong north-south forechecking game is going to see a lot of our favourites disappear. Babcock expects neutral zone forchecking, while changing lines, and in the offensive zone. He uses a passive variety in the offensive zone in order to prevent breakout passes. Last season, Clarkson was probably our most effective forechecker even if Holland and JVR are somewhat capable.

That being said, how in the world is Kadri, Kessel, Lupul or even Connor Brown going to survive with Babcock? Datsyuk isn't a forechecker but he's elite at sweeping pucks in the offensive zone. The only one that would given a free pass would be Nylander due to his elite upside.

JVR - Brown - RW
LW - Holland - Nylander
Leivo - Gauthier - Bailey?
Leipsic - Carrick - Panik

This doesn't change the fact that the core needs to mature. We'll still need to develop our upcoming prospects to fill out the top line. Babcock will probably want a top six version of Abdelkader on the first and second lines. Personally, I can't see Babcock signing because we're probably not ready to employ a rigid rebuilding strategy.

Last edited:

thelittleredbaron

Feb 9, 2013
it is sounding more and more that the media is freaking out (for the most part) that they are going to be getting the Ninja-dust treatment from Shanahan.

the line that Lamorello believes in him and that's nice, but the Leaf fans need to believe in him and he's not getting sexy names....

Simmons is pouting me thinks. we don't need Sexy Names. we need a name that can get the job done.

Agreed! Sexy names have not worked since 1967

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I really think it's Babcock all the way. I think it is the challenge more than anything else TBO. Why would you not want to spice up your job and do something that nobody has been able to do in a very long time. I mean Win in Toronto where so many have just struggled and come up short. He is very competitive and this is the perfect storm of a situation here.Move out some negative pieces and let's reboot this franchise with some respect here.
To be honest, I am not too excited. Babcock isn't just stubborn but excepts a north-south possession game with strong forechecking. We're going to be moving much our team especially the younger ones most of us want around long-term.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Wouldn't mind Paul Maclean as the head coach, Babcock is the ideal choice as coach but unless he only wants money I don't see him coming here, not interested in Guy Boucher though.. As for the GM position Fuda and Gorton wouldn't be a bad choice

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I like either Futa or Gorton. Both bring solid resumés with them, and would be a breath of fresh air.

As far as coaching goes, you take a shot at Babcock, and if you come up short.... !@$#

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
It sounds like Mcclellan is the Oilers first choice, but what about San Jose or St Louis, might Babcock be interested in those cities too.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
It sounds like Mcclellan is the Oilers first choice, but what about San Jose or St Louis, might Babcock be interested in those cities too.

small market teams that can't afford to pay coaches 5M+ even if the owners are rich. only real competition for us are the flyers, sabres and oilers (unless they don't target mclellan).

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Buffalo News, Mike Babcock wants to get Paid – with a capital ‘P’ – and several teams can take care of that, not just the Sabres. But it’s also widely known in hockey circles that Babcock wants to use his high profile and pending free agency as a way to boost salaries for not just himself but for his coaching contemporaries as well.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/11/sabres-hot-to-grab-babcock/

It’s believed that Chicago’s Joel Quenneville is currently the highest-paid NHL coach, making only about $2.75 million per season. Babcock could be seeking a deal in the $5 million range annually, something that Pegula likely won’t hesitate to offer. Pegula just paid a similar amount to Rex Ryan to lead the Bills and is known to want to make a similar big-hire splash with the Sabres.

Moreover, Pegula obviously wouldn’t hesitate to overpay in the $6-7 million per season range – at many years of a long-term agreement – if that’s what it would take to seal the deal too.

Why might this be so important to Babcock? While players are making plenty of money in the NHL these days, coaches are seriously lagging behind their counterparts in the other major pro sports.

Every NFL coach makes at least $3.5 million, the average is over $4.8 million and 10 coaches are believed to make at least $6 million. Seven NBA coaches are at $5 million and up, topped by the $11 million annual extension signed last summer by San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich. Salary information is sketchier in baseball, but it’s known there are at least four MLB managers (Chicago’s Joe Maddon, Los Angeles’ Mike Scioscia, San Francisco’s Bruce Bochy and New York’s Joe Girardi) making at least $4 million.

According to Sportsnet, the Red Wings made Babcock another offer last week – a multi-year deal that is believed to be in the $4 million-plus range. It was turned down so he could pursue his options.

Toronto: Media covering the Leafs are abuzz with private plane records showing trips between Toronto and Detroit on Saturday but there were no reported sightings of the coach in Toronto like there were in Buffalo on Sunday. The Leafs have the tradition Babcock would want and the money to pay him. But what else do they have?

They’ve yet to set the course on a rebuild, have yet to trade their core players like Phil Kessel, Dion Phaneuf or Joffrey Lupul like the Sabres did when they excised the likes of Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville. And they’re not getting McDavid or Eichel either. It’s reasonable to wonder if they’re going to be last in the Atlantic Division next year, and maybe for a few more years after that. Hard to see that being too attractive, no matter how much money team president Brendan Shanahan waves at Babcock.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
A good coach can make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Witness Carlyle. Imagine what Babcock could do with an under skilled but hardworking team. 9th place here we come.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
According to the Buffalo News, Mike Babcock wants to get Paid – with a capital ‘P’ – and several teams can take care of that, not just the Sabres. But it’s also widely known in hockey circles that Babcock wants to use his high profile and pending free agency as a way to boost salaries for not just himself but for his coaching contemporaries as well.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/11/sabres-hot-to-grab-babcock/

I mean, Babcock is great and his resume speaks for itself... but I have a bad feeling about a coach that's shopping himself for simply the paycheque (when he said he didn't care about it).

I don't think we need such a high profile hire anyway. The fit needs to be better then the resume.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hofford is an interesting name. He's the director of scouting for the London Knights.

Mark Hunter wants to be GM? Give it to him. Please do.

President - Brendan Shanahan
General Manager - Mark Hunter
Assistant General Manager - Kyle Dubas
Assistant General Manager & Goaltending Consultant - Sean Burke
Director of Player Personnel - Lindsay Hofford
Director of Player Development - Steve Staios

Head Coach - Dale Hunter
Assistant Coach - (Paul MacLean?)
Assistant Coach - (Sheldon Keefe?)
Goaltending Coach - ????

Yes, he also runs http://www.prohoc.com/page/show/660237-staff , best known for convincing Hunter to take Marner with the last pick in the 1st round of the O draft.

It was mentioned a few weeks ago that he'd be joining the Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes, he also runs http://www.prohoc.com/page/show/660237-staff , best known for convincing Hunter to take Marner with the last pick in the 1st round of the O draft.

It was mentioned a few weeks ago that he'd be joining the Leafs.

I thought YOU mentioned that? :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hunter and Dubas brought people they were close with while their were in the CHL. Dubas all ready brought in Wes Clark, so I wouldn't be surprised if/when Hofford joins the Leafs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I thought YOU mentioned that? :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hunter and Dubas brought people they were close with while their were in the CHL. Dubas all ready brought in Wes Clark, so I wouldn't be surprised if/when Hofford joins the Leafs.

I did, apparently it wasn't totally ignored.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Interesting sound track and a few surprises, He thinks Babcock will sign in Toronto and it won't take too long for the team to be successful.

Manny Legace: “I think Babcock ends up in Toronto”

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015/05/11/manny-legace-i-think-babcock-ends-up-in-toronto/

Macko & Cauz are joined by former NHL Goaltender Manny Legace to discuss what Babcock would expect of the Leafs if he chooses to come to Toronto, and his history in working with Babcock.

Manny Legace - Macko and Cauz - May 11 2015 by Maple Leafs Hotstove via #soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/mapleleafsho...m/mapleleafshotstove/manny-legace-may-11-2015

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
So when can we expect to announce the signing of Dan Cleary?

That's part of the interview in the sound track, he gets the most out of his players and that's why Legacy thinks that it won't take long, for him to turn around the Leafs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's part of the interview in the sound track, he gets the most out of his players and that's why Legacy thinks that it won't take long, for him to turn around the Leafs.

Wouldn't that make Edmonton and Buffalo desirable locations as they have some elite young talent for Babs to work with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad