Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Sounds like he needs to stay put ;)

I'm just kidding. But I do think Marner can be an important player on a very good team. Leafs made the same mistakes that my Sens made under Dorion, though - failure to scaffold the young core with winners (plural!).
You are telling me bringing in Marleau and Thornton and Spezza and Simmonds didn’t teach them anything about winning?

We didn’t just fail, we somehow actively integrated loser’s into the team

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Someone like that is needed in the Leafs' dressing room.

No, people are acting like getting rid of Marner will be a good start to fixing what is wrong.
There have been a few coaches who tried to explain da truth to paul when mitch was young including me but bottom line they ended up getting what they wanted which was $$$$$ from hockey .. and to that extent they succeeded where many others of us including jay and me have failed .. but mitch has succeeded in getting sponsorships from time he was 5 and it continued up through minor hockey to cash in enveloppe from hunter to big cheques from leafs .. it has freakin worked for them since age of 5 so why should they change .. da scope of issue has only gotten much bigger and now it has reached da top and it is over for mitch in hockey very likely

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
There have been a few coaches who tried to explain da truth to paul when mitch was young including me but bottom line they ended up getting what they wanted which was $$$$$ from hockey .. and to that extent they succeeded where many others of us including jay and me have failed .. but mitch has succeeded in getting sponsorships from time he was 5 and it continued up through minor hockey to cash in enveloppe from hunter to big cheques from leafs .. it has freakin worked for them since age of 5 so why should they change .. da scope of issue has only gotten much bigger and now it has reached da top and it is over for mitch in hockey very likely
Hardly over. Hopefully in Toronto but there's little chance someone won't sign him

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You are telling me bringing in Marleau and Thornton and Spezza and Simmonds didn’t teach them anything about winning?

All those guys made at least 1 Stanley cup final

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It’s too late, you already know Marner will be the scape goat. Some body has to go, it’s going to be him. I agree change has to happen but man we are def going to miss him when he’s gone unless we get some really strong players back.

But his play has kind of put him in this situation. I wish he played better from game 1.
But he is not the scapegoat.
All the top guys deserve it beside Reilly.
You can make a case that Willie at least maintain his regular season level but can’t say the same about the AM, MM and JT.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You said most players. That is not true.

There was literally a thread about this on these boards this year.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Spezza and Simmonds weren't so so bad, but they were past the point in their career where they could be true key players.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
There was literally a thread about this on these boards this year.

Sweet Jebus, please learn English. You said 'most players'. Most players do not even have no trade clauses, and the story you linked to said 'some Canadian teams' .

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Were any of them even top 3 important players on those rosters? Thornton was 4th in Sharks scoring that run and Marleau was tied with Joel Ward lol, Spezza was 3rd wheel on his line, Simmonds was a complementary player.

Spezza lead the sens in scoring in the 06-07 run

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Serious question, have any lip readers interpreted what Matthews and Nylander are saying here?

I was actually glad to see the core players finally holding each other accountable in public. It's long overdue, and perhaps it will spark something in them moving forward.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Sweet Jebus, please learn English. You said 'most players'. Most players do not even have no trade clauses, and the story you linked to said 'some Canadian teams' .

He’s just speaking hyperbolically, it’s normal

You can take things so literal in conversation. No one is writing their dissertation here.

Using hyperbolic terms like ‘most’ is almost never used literally in conversation

Serious question, have any lip readers interpreted what Matthews and Nylander are saying here?

We need jomboy

Can someone send him this?

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not most players but It’s astounding that almost 300 players have movement clauses.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Holy sh^t the bombs are dropping on Marner. Ex Leafs and NHL players dropping BOMBS on Marner.
I personally think it's been a long time coming and people in the know were just holding back, maybe hoping he would grow up, but this year is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Reactions: ToneDog

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Bringing in Marleau and Thornton were the critical errors. They mentored them alright. Mentored them about how to secure the bag and check out when the cheque stops clearing. I lost all respect I had for Jumbo after watching that Amazon series.
Marleau was a good add. The real mistake was bringing in Tavares and giving him the C.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Ya, I am sure it is from getting yelled at and not because of how the game is going and series is going.

These players can't win with the fans, they don't care one year and are too emotional the next.

do you think the fans are so mean that Marner will grace us by waiving his no trade clause in his contract?

or is he such a child that he'll throw a temper tantrum and vindictively stay out his contract before he is shown the door?

very serious question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad