TSN: Leafs are highly motivated to deal

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
What he's worth. How much do you want to give him ?

But, I'm guessing you're concerned about finding more cash for his raise?

Pretty easy as well.

This upcoming season:
Player | Cap Hit
Kessel | 5.4
Armstrong | 1.0
Tucker | 1.0
Total | 7.4

The following season:
Player | Cap Hit
Kessel | 7.5
Armstrong | 0.0
Tucker | 0.0
Total | 7.5

wow!

:highclap:

i think kessel will sign for 6.5, so it saves us a mil. :nod:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I love Gunnar and he's very comparable to a guy like Dennis Seidenberg. A very good #3.

If we can get Letang somehow...we'll have a nice blend of defenseman in Phaneuf, Letang, Gunnarsson and Rielly (I am assuming Gardiner is gone in such a trade).

IMO, Seidenberg is far greater than Gunnar. He's a legit #2 and would be an ideal partner for Phanuef.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Further to the Carolina tweet. There are financial restrictions the Hurricanes face. Need a top 4 D, but can't pay Letang-like dollars.
Expand

Darren DregerDarren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Interested to see if Carolina trades the 5th pick. Need a top 4 D. Could be part of a package. Told Rutherford is getting lots of calls.
Expand

How do we all feel about Gunnarsson + 21st for 5th?

Gunnarsson is a top 2 D on the Leafs, right?

LMAO. Only in Dream-Land.

wiz0rd

May 13, 2013
Gunnarsson is a top 2 D on the Leafs.. he plays with Phaneuf on the top pair because we have nobody better to play there.

but he would never be a top 2 D on other teams and therefore shouldn't be getting 2 D dollars (above 3 mil)

right?

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
@ALLsportsINTEL: NHL - Source - Sometime soon with everything Toronto Maple Leafs are in on right now, something HUGE is going to shake loose.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
@ALLsportsINTEL: NHL - Source - Sometime soon with everything Toronto Maple Leafs are in on right now, something HUGE is going to shake loose.

never heard of @ALLsportsINTEL ...anyone on twitter that doesnt have a verified real name is FOS (and so are 1/2 of everyone with a verified real name too)

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Letang wants to come to Toronto, he's an offensive-rushing defenseman. Gardiner is also an offensive-rushing defenseman that is less established and comes cheaper but has a lot of trade value. I wonder if a trade where Gardiner is traded to either Carolina or Edmonton for their pick and Toronto does a sign and trade with Pittsburgh with Letang for Phaneuf (Tang wants out and Phaneuf is more defensively reliable and will come cheaper...and is likely to re-sign next year) is on the horizon. The pick will become a center of either Lindholm or Monahan. There will be other component involved including our 21st, but that's the bones of it.

Or perhaps Nonis is trying to work out something with Colorado for the 1st pick, they seems willing to deal it and McKinnon is the franchise Center we need. We can only wish.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
IMO, Seidenberg is far greater than Gunnar. He's a legit #2 and would be an ideal partner for Phanuef.

Seidenberg is too slow and gets burned by speedy wingers, Kessel made him look like a fool some nights.

IMO. Boychuk could really help this team with his play and leadership and being a vet.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Letang wants to come to Toronto, he's an offensive-rushing defenseman. Gardiner is also an offensive-rushing defenseman that is less established and comes cheaper but has a lot of trade value. I wonder if a trade where Gardiner is traded to either Carolina or Edmonton for their pick and Toronto does a sign and trade with Pittsburgh with Letang for Phaneuf (Tang wants out and Phaneuf is more defensively reliable and will come cheaper...and is likely to re-sign next year) is on the horizon. The pick will become a center of either Lindholm or Monahan. There will be other component involved including our 21st, but that's the bones of it.

Or perhaps Nonis is trying to work out something with Colorado for the 1st pick, they seems willing to deal it and McKinnon is the franchise Center we need. We can only wish.

I have heard that the sticking point in Colorado talks are Mike Komisarek. Colorado wants Komisarek in any deal for the 1st overall...Leafs immediately told them that Komisarek is an untouchable. They can have Dion, Rielly, or Gardiner but they still want Komisarek.

It's tough in the NHL. We can't give up Komisarek...

wulfio*

blablabla i think stats rule everything

Look, this is not baseball. This is hockey. And you cannot regurgitate a bunch of stats to prove your point in this sport. It just doesn't work. And by doing so, you prove your lack of familiarity with the sport. No, Phaneuf is not a good skater, no he's not a shut down guy, and no and he can't pass the puck well or move it out of our zone, is also one of the ugliest skaters on the team; Orr wins it, but Dion gets honourable mentions. He is average, to above average in all these areas. You just have to watch him to know that.

If he was all the things you think he is, Calgary would never have traded him for a bag of pucks. He has all the same tools he had in Calgary, the only difference is he doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off anymore. But a team is not going to trade a 24 year old with the tools to be a "top 10 dman in the league" for spare parts. Use your logic for 2 seconds. Dmen take longer to mature. A guy with the tools you claim he has, would NEVER get traded for what we gave up to get him; regardless of his salary. The only thing Dion excels at, is strength. He's a physical force, that can shoot really hard, and hit really hard. Everything else is average to above average at best. Finesse, has nothing to do with his game, he's not a skill guy. And the minute you people realize he belongs on the 2nd pairing, the better off you'll be. All you're doing, is holding on to the double dionnes by pierre mccreepy, and all his WJC/rookie season hype, and letting it sway common sense.

Gardiner being 1st unit... I have no idea what defensive awareness has to do with it. But 1st unit for people who know anything about hockey = 1st pp unit. It doesn't mean 1st pairing defense. And yes, Gardiners passing, OFFENSIVE AWARENESS, and ability to rush the puck in to the oppositions zone while retaining possession WITHOUT doing the gold old Phaneuf dump and chase my own puck move, is a complete upgrade on the 1st PP unit.

Learn2hockey

Last edited by a moderator:

wulfio*

Says Learn2hockey

Goes against all stats, award votes and coaches opinions.

lol stats. Go to the baseball board.

writers votes? might as well cite board posters opinions too...

I'd have to see some articles where coaches give him praise in the same way as chara, lidstrom, chelios, weber, suter, karlsson, etc. have gotten. I've never heard this anywhere before. Just writers, who are basically paid armchair GM's.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What he's worth. How much do you want to give him ?

But, I'm guessing you're concerned about finding more cash for his raise?

Pretty easy as well.

This upcoming season:
Player | Cap Hit
Kessel | 5.4
Armstrong | 1.0
Tucker | 1.0
Total | 7.4

The following season:
Player | Cap Hit
Kessel | 7.5
Armstrong | 0.0
Tucker | 0.0
Total | 7.5

So Letang, Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul, Grabovski taking up approximately 30 mil. That's not including a contract extension for Bernier and Kadri both of whom are rfa's, you can include Franson in that group as well. You might want to sell that idea of affording everybody but I doubt anybody is buying.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I absolutely don't wanna see Phaneuf go, you guys are nuts, were would we have been last year without Phaneuf ?!?!?!?! Bottom 5 or bottom 10 in the NHl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad